This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand why people people complain about pretty boys in JRPGs, etc.

#11RPG maniac87Posted 11/14/2012 12:18:05 PM
Large_Tonberry posted...
I generally don't mind the "pretty boy" appearances, unless it's totally overdone and becomes distracting. It's hard to take a protagonist seriously when they're trying to save the world or whatever, but look as though they spend 5 hours on their hair and make up every day.

Is it that hard to accept a world where they look like that naturally along with things like magic, monsters, leveling, etc?
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#12Large_TonberryPosted 11/14/2012 12:21:10 PM
RPG maniac87 posted...
Large_Tonberry posted...
I generally don't mind the "pretty boy" appearances, unless it's totally overdone and becomes distracting. It's hard to take a protagonist seriously when they're trying to save the world or whatever, but look as though they spend 5 hours on their hair and make up every day.

Is it that hard to accept a world where they look like that naturally along with things like magic, monsters, leveling, etc?

If everyone in the games world looks like that naturally, then why do the main characters look so out of place whenever they go to a town with nondescript "normal" people?
#13RPG maniac87Posted 11/14/2012 12:24:22 PM
Because not everyone is created equally.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#14sirtonnePosted 11/14/2012 12:24:41 PM
Because gaming is full of immature whiners who take themselves and their little games too seriously.

OMG WTF THIS IS SO UNREALISTIC AND DUMB

Yeah, you're playing a video game, not watching a documentary, Einstein.
#15theshovellerPosted 11/14/2012 12:27:38 PM
sirtonne posted...
Because gaming is full of immature whiners who take themselves and their little games too seriously.

OMG WTF THIS IS SO UNREALISTIC AND DUMB

Yeah, you're playing a video game, not watching a documentary, Einstein.

Truth be told, I only complain when I can't make my guy look "average" and not falling into the "Dude looks like a lady!" or "I HAVE THE POWER!!!!" camps. In those cases, they wear a helmet all the time. Unless the helmet looks stupid, too.
#16AsellusPosted 11/14/2012 12:34:59 PM
I think these complaints usually arise when the "pretty boys" look more like "pretty girls".

I've always wondered about that. If you want your lead to look like a pretty girl why not just have the actual girl? Horribly few jrpgs offer female leads anyways, it'd be a great way to stand out from the crowd a bit.
#17theshovellerPosted 11/14/2012 12:36:59 PM
Asellus posted...
I think these complaints usually arise when the "pretty boys" look more like "pretty girls".

I've always wondered about that. If you want your lead to look like a pretty girl why not just have the actual girl? Horribly few jrpgs offer female leads anyways, it'd be a great way to stand out from the crowd a bit.

The men look like women, the women look like girls, and the girls look like boys! It's madness, I tells ye, madness!
#18SieKensouPosted 11/14/2012 12:37:13 PM
Asellus posted...

then can you list some for me? i can't remember any guys that look like girls.
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#19SightoPosted 11/14/2012 12:38:30 PM
Some of my more grimy looking friends always complain about this. I guess because they're not relatable?
---
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/15/15988000/ngbbs47fa102e7660f.gif
#20MlREFOXPosted 11/14/2012 12:41:35 PM
Because modern boys are effeminate sissies who find validation in hormonally-challenged JRPG protagonists.

If your skinny jeans are showing off your calves the size of my wrist, you are a woman.