This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To those who say CoD series is the same game every year/iteration...

#11HakaiVeilPosted 11/14/2012 11:15:07 AM
Ways to truly evolve the FPS genre in general -

-Improved enemy AI-

FEAR is perhaps the best FPS in this regard, as FEAR's soldiers try things actually reminiscent to tact. They will flank, get you out of cover, and otherwise act more like soldiers than most FPS games ever do.

-Improve strategic/tactile elements-

Most every FPS can be boiled down to "run in and shoot'em all up." No. That is BS. If you are going to be a war-model game, BE a war-model game. Nobody just bumrushes into a building. You analyze. You go in smart. You clear. Get rid of auto-regen unless the game's setting makes it logical. Halo is somewhat logical with a regen shield because that is something they created within their world. CoD makes no sense with regen health. You are a base human, that is all.

-Random/Dynamic enemy groupings-

Every FPS game these days has a pattern. No-action segment, group bang, no-action segment, group bang. It is just one action set piece to another. That isn't war. Even if the FPS in question isn't using war as a backplot, having predictable groupings does not make the game fun. I played Halo 2 so much I could wipe out the grouping before it ever got to fully kick off.

-Improved gun "feel"-

Halo has this problem, among other games. Ever play an FPS where the gun feels like you are shooting loud water? Maybe some air pellets? Sure, firing a massive LMG would be loud as HELL, but at least it feels like you are shooting something powerful.

Also, seeing proper reactions. If I shoot you in the foot with a .50 cal, you SHOULD react. None of this generic hit-phase crap. Don't stagger like you got gut-punched from EVERYTHING.

-Stop using Michael Bay-style to help your presentation-

Explosions are not as powerful a device as you might believe. Walking through a city of burnt corpses, blown away houses and overall devastation sets an atmosphere that no base explosion can.

-Stop the linearity-

Every single CoD ends up opening the same way. Hell, even Halo does it. A linear segment. Don't stray 5 millimeters away from my footstep path, player, or you game over.

If you want us to do this, then -

A) Don't force us to
and
B) Make the linearity compelling enough to stay. If we are moving into position for an interesting op, then yeah I'll follow. If not, bite me.
#12GeminiX7(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 11:16:29 AM
MyEvilTwin7 posted...
Who are the game developers who are making CoD? Me? No. They should be the ones improving the series. They are qualified game developers aren't they?

But, assuming you are a person making such a complaint, have to at least have some semblance of an idea what you like to see added to the game. The developers would argue that they have changed up the games, adding or expanding upon modes, New or revamped weapons, etc. And if your response is "that's not enough" surely that'd mean you'd at least have an idea in your mind of what would qualify as "enough" or close to enough.
---
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
#13GeminiX7(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 11:20:12 AM
HakaiVeil posted...
Ways to truly evolve the FPS genre in general -

-Improved enemy AI-

FEAR is perhaps the best FPS in this regard, as FEAR's soldiers try things actually reminiscent to tact. They will flank, get you out of cover, and otherwise act more like soldiers than most FPS games ever do.

-Improve strategic/tactile elements-

Most every FPS can be boiled down to "run in and shoot'em all up." No. That is BS. If you are going to be a war-model game, BE a war-model game. Nobody just bumrushes into a building. You analyze. You go in smart. You clear. Get rid of auto-regen unless the game's setting makes it logical. Halo is somewhat logical with a regen shield because that is something they created within their world. CoD makes no sense with regen health. You are a base human, that is all.

-Random/Dynamic enemy groupings-

Every FPS game these days has a pattern. No-action segment, group bang, no-action segment, group bang. It is just one action set piece to another. That isn't war. Even if the FPS in question isn't using war as a backplot, having predictable groupings does not make the game fun. I played Halo 2 so much I could wipe out the grouping before it ever got to fully kick off.

-Improved gun "feel"-

Halo has this problem, among other games. Ever play an FPS where the gun feels like you are shooting loud water? Maybe some air pellets? Sure, firing a massive LMG would be loud as HELL, but at least it feels like you are shooting something powerful.

Also, seeing proper reactions. If I shoot you in the foot with a .50 cal, you SHOULD react. None of this generic hit-phase crap. Don't stagger like you got gut-punched from EVERYTHING.

-Stop using Michael Bay-style to help your presentation-

Explosions are not as powerful a device as you might believe. Walking through a city of burnt corpses, blown away houses and overall devastation sets an atmosphere that no base explosion can.

-Stop the linearity-

Every single CoD ends up opening the same way. Hell, even Halo does it. A linear segment. Don't stray 5 millimeters away from my footstep path, player, or you game over.

If you want us to do this, then -

A) Don't force us to
and
B) Make the linearity compelling enough to stay. If we are moving into position for an interesting op, then yeah I'll follow. If not, bite me.

See this is the kind of response I was looking for. Although I fear every single person who shares the sentiment without any real backing is just going to copy pasta. :P
---
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
#14MyEvilTwin7Posted 11/14/2012 5:09:38 PM
GeminiX7 posted...
MyEvilTwin7 posted...
Who are the game developers who are making CoD? Me? No. They should be the ones improving the series. They are qualified game developers aren't they?

But, assuming you are a person making such a complaint, have to at least have some semblance of an idea what you like to see added to the game. The developers would argue that they have changed up the games, adding or expanding upon modes, New or revamped weapons, etc. And if your response is "that's not enough" surely that'd mean you'd at least have an idea in your mind of what would qualify as "enough" or close to enough.

All I meant was that we (the none game designers) shouldn't be the ones to think up ways to improve a game. They are the ones making the money off of it.
---
Do not go here : http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/233-star-trek?action=addfav
#15Still__RippinPosted 11/14/2012 5:25:35 PM
MyEvilTwin7 posted...
GeminiX7 posted...
MyEvilTwin7 posted...

All I meant was that we (the none game designers) shouldn't be the ones to think up ways to improve a game. They are the ones making the money off of it.

And they are making billions. Seems that they have the right ideas. If you don't like something that's because you know what you do like. So, if you say you don't like COD you should already have what you want changed in your mind.

Fact is TC on this board the people who bash COD never played it or have only played COD4. Of course, they'll tell you they've watched videos so that's how they know. Of course, if videos were the same as playing games we wouldn't even be on this site would we? But they will refuse to acknowledge that logic. Also, to the guy who said it's a yearly release, that may be true but the games are always in development for 2 years at least being that treyarc releases one and the infinity ward (and sledgehammer now) work on the next. But again, the average COD badger doesn't know that either. Just take comfort in knowing that GameFAQ's in no way represents gamers as a whole.
---
Regardless of how many people call me a troll I always speak the truth.
Currently playing- Magic 2013, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Black Ops 2, Demons Souls
#16rschrake86Posted 11/14/2012 5:27:01 PM
There are NO suggestions to make it new and inovative. Its like Madden. DONE. PLAYED OUT. GET OVER IT. BORING. BUMP.
---
A government is a body of people; usually, notably ungoverned. http://psnprofiles.com/I8I_SiN_I8I
PSN- I8I_SiN_I8I
#17UniversquallPosted 11/14/2012 5:37:49 PM
The only problem is sheep desperate for this years version just for the MP.
---
After the Fallout
#18Still__RippinPosted 11/14/2012 5:42:44 PM
Universquall posted...
The only problem is sheep desperate for this years version just for the MP.

Do you buy food? Sheep. Real men live in the forest and don't use phones or Internet. Pay for Internet? Sheep. Name brand clothes? Sheep. See how dumb the sheep remark is? Not to mention there are flocks of you hatred by the thousands all screaming and acting the same way..... I think.... That's a sheep.
---
Regardless of how many people call me a troll I always speak the truth.
Currently playing- Magic 2013, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Black Ops 2, Demons Souls
#19UniversquallPosted 11/14/2012 5:44:28 PM
Still__Rippin posted...
Do you buy food? Sheep. Real men live in the forest and don't use phones or Internet. Pay for Internet? Sheep. Name brand clothes? Sheep. See how dumb the sheep remark is? Not to mention there are flocks of you hatred by the thousands all screaming and acting the same way..... I think.... That's a sheep.

I'm just going by what I've been told by the BO2 owners I personally know. Which can't be taken any other way than sheep.
---
After the Fallout
#20servb0tsPosted 11/14/2012 6:22:11 PM(edited)
GeminiX7 posted...
Can you give actual examples of how the game could be changed so its not "the same thing every year"? Also could you give an example of a series that did actually switch it up with every iteration to your liking without becoming "a sequel in name only"? I'm not a big fan of the CoD series(BO2 is the first I've owned since mw2), but this argument never made sense to me at al

1. I never played any COd or most FPS so I can't answer.

2. theres plenty series that changed up the formula, regarless rather people love them or hate them.

Mega-Man.
Final Fantasy.
Castlevania.
Metroid.
Zelda.
Mario.
Ar Tonelico Qoga.
Tecmo Deception.
King's Field.
Soul Caliber.

just to name a few.
---