This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why all doom and gloom about today's gaming?

#1zombie_basher13Posted 11/14/2012 12:16:55 PM
I keep seeing negative articles from journalists and such who think they know what they're talking about. Like, I read one just yesterday where this guy was talking about the 6 terrible trends in gaming or something, and it was extremely doomy and gloomy with a slice of stormy. For example, said eventually EVERYTHING will become always online with a monthly sub, even single player games on consoles. Also said creativity is dying off, and that nobody has any kind of vision for the future. You know, typical BS.

And that's not the only article I've seen like that. So are they just trying to get hits/attention, are they misguided, or could they be right? Do you think that eventually publishers of every company alive will make it mandatory to have their games be online all the time? I admit it's already kinda bad with rampant DLC and such, but I'd say Xbox is a lot worse (*laughs at the Xbox players*) 'cause they gotta pay season passes and things like that for some games on top of Live sub and the game price, whereas PSN is free, baby.

But I really don't think it's so bad, or it will get that bad. There's still creativity, you just gotta know where to look. DLC is optional, and usually not that worthwhile anyway (costumes, maps, etc.) There are plenty of good single player games this gen, and next gen it will be the same. So what do you think about all this negativity?
---
Look alive, you fools.
#2XGenkaiXPosted 11/14/2012 12:44:39 PM
I remember reading an article explaining why everyone hates this generation of gaming. One of the reason was that when people are younger, they enjoy things more than they do when they get older. I forgot the other reasons but they were pretty accurate.
---
PSN: FrozenLeafz
SSFIV: M.Bison/Sakura, UMVC3: Tron/Dormammu/Akuma, TTT2: Asuka/Lars, P4A: Aigis/Yu/Naoto.
#3MetrosexualVaanPosted 11/14/2012 12:45:15 PM
zombie_basher13 posted...
Also said creativity is dying off, and that nobody has any kind of vision for the future.

That about sums it up right there. "New" games come out, but it's really just more of the same.
#4pokemon_45_79_1Posted 11/14/2012 12:47:03 PM
From: MetrosexualVaan | Posted: 11/14/2012 11:45:15 AM | #003
zombie_basher13 posted...
Also said creativity is dying off, and that nobody has any kind of vision for the future.

That about sums it up right there. "New" games come out, but it's really just more of the same.

You know why creativity is gone because Developers cater to the lowest common denominator which is causuals, and how much money they can make. That part is accurate.

Developers know that they can put out anything and it will sell no matter how bad it is because causuals don't care or new gamers getting into video games.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#5NicodimusPosted 11/14/2012 12:47:35 PM
Because people love to complain, and read/hear other people complaining about the same things they don't like. It's done to increase web traffic. If the articles were all sunshine and rainbows, you'd see the opposite happen.
---
PSN #1: Nicodimus - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Kaylee (Fighter)
PSN #2: Nicodimus222 - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Mina (Mage)
#6AjescentPosted 11/14/2012 12:50:41 PM
Doom and gloom gets more attention than everything is okay.
---
Waiting patiently for UnKarted to be announced since 4-Dec-2009
http://us.playstation.com/publictrophy/index.htm?onlinename=Ajescent
#7MelficeSeph2Posted 11/14/2012 1:18:57 PM
And things go BOOM!
---
Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride, you're in good hands.- Gene Starwind
#8agrissaPosted 11/14/2012 1:38:34 PM
Because games suck these days, that why.
---
I had faith in humanity until I discovered Internet Message Boards.
#9hockeybub89Posted 11/14/2012 1:45:28 PM
agrissa posted...
Because games suck these days, that why.

That's a funny way to spell golden age.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#10regsantotomasPosted 11/14/2012 2:08:25 PM
Nicodimus posted...
Because people love to complain, and read/hear other people complaining about the same things they don't like. It's done to increase web traffic. If the articles were all sunshine and rainbows, you'd see the opposite happen.

Pretty much.

I am sure that if the internet and forums were as prevalent during any other era that it would be much of the same.

People aren't drawn to positive topics or actual discussions as much as they are to diatribes and vitriolic rants.

As long as gaming remains fun for me, the naysayers can rage on their keyboards as much as they want - it makes little to no difference to my gaming habits nor the industry at large.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego