This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why all doom and gloom about today's gaming?

#11Jinzo 111887Posted 11/14/2012 2:26:48 PM
agrissa posted...
Because games suck these days, that why.

That's a funny way to spell golden age.

Golden age was everything from Nintendo Entertainment System/Sega Master System to Gamecube/Playstation2/Xbox era. This gen is the decline of gaming thanks to increased costs, unstable systems, and "treat your customers like garbage" policies companies are using these days have killed that.
---
"Michael Vick was arrested for getting in an assault plane and shooting down other planes?" - L0Z
#12NintendologicalPosted 11/14/2012 4:59:21 PM
zombie_basher13 posted...

But I really don't think it's so bad, or it will get that bad. There's still creativity, you just gotta know where to look. DLC is optional, and usually not that worthwhile anyway (costumes, maps, etc.) There are plenty of good single player games this gen, and next gen it will be the same. So what do you think about all this negativity?

Beleive it or not, the data is there to support much of the doom and gloom. Industry revenue peaked in 2008 and has seen an annual decline each and every year. The returns on successful games are diminishing, and with development costs estimated to double next generation, the number of risks publishers will take is only likely to decrease as a consequence.

The rise of mobile gaming has been an unexpected competitor that industry mainstays do not understand. Also of importance is the rapid fall of a number of industry giants. Sony has been slammed across all fronts, including the flagging Playstation brand. Nintendo posted record losses this year because of dramatic sales drop offs with the Wii and unmet sales projections for the 3DS. Microsoft manages to stay healthy, but mich of that comes from the diversification of the Xbox platform as more than a gaming device. There is a reason Microsoft has invested in television content initiatives and digital content delivery for music, movies and social media.

Publishes like Activisin and EA have been seeing incredible sales for a number of franchises but they are still seeing quarterly losses. The industry appears healthy at a glance, but much like a patient woth a recent cancer diagnosis, the worst is ahead of them and any desire for a positive outcome will require a drastic and aggressive course of action. The industry can not sustain its current model if it is to thrive in the same way.

None of this is surprising. Like every other form of entertainment, this industry has been caught off guard by rapid paradigm shifts and new trends. Slow adoption of digital distribution, poor reactions to digital piracy, increased prices, old business models and strategies...these are all the same signs that have harmed, music, movies, comic books, books and now video games. Same song, different day.
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#13servb0tsPosted 11/14/2012 5:40:22 PM
Its moreso Developers and Publishers stopped caring about the quality of gaming. Day 1 Patches, or purchase enough DLC and the developers will than consider patching a certain game.

^^Its Very Sad to see the way games are being mishandled, even if people act like they don't care, and even if DLC doesn't envolve them, in the long run it will Effect Every Gamer rather they want to admit this or not. Because Devs & Pubs will keep pushing the envelope to see what they can and can't get away with.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner
#14SuperShadowAcePosted 11/14/2012 5:41:46 PM
For one, Ubisoft is using day 1 buyers as free beta testers.
---
http://ofnoobsandmen.com/ <----Good comic
Game contact information in profile.
#15killakPosted 11/14/2012 6:07:08 PM
The reason there's such doom and gloom, is because it gets tongues wagging and from my experience, people only want to discuss bad things.

On top of this, these doom and gloom articles generate website hits from people trolling and people needing to defend against said trolls.
---
Before stooping to grammar correction, ask yourself.... "Am I really stuck with nothing to say?"
#16AalviPosted 11/14/2012 6:15:49 PM
because the focus on graphics(and use of powerful tech and performing feats not capable before) and not delivering a solid storyline followed by gameplay with good music to set the mood as well.
---
Check out my backlog: http://backloggery.com/aalvi
PSN ID: Aalvi-S|http://psnprofiles.com/Aalvi-S|3DS FC in Profile
#17ShinXaguraPosted 11/14/2012 7:01:56 PM
servb0ts posted...
Its moreso Developers and Publishers stopped caring about the quality of gaming. Day 1 Patches, or purchase enough DLC and the developers will than consider patching a certain game.

^^Its Very Sad to see the way games are being mishandled, even if people act like they don't care, and even if DLC doesn't envolve them, in the long run it will Effect Every Gamer rather they want to admit this or not. Because Devs & Pubs will keep pushing the envelope to see what they can and can't get away with.

This. IMO
---
You must defeat my SCREAMING DRAGON BULLET to stand a chance.