This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I hate when gamers try to rationalize game length by difficulty setting

#11Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 3:06:12 PM
nonexistinghero posted...
5 minutes and 15 seconds for SMB is almost as good as the world record. I kinda doubt you're that fast, but it could be true.

Nah, I seen a guy beat smb in 4min 36 sec - no lie. I'm good, played my whole life, bur not world record good.
---
Sophistication is knowing you like the best games, going out of your way to own them and then telling the entire world about them. I... I am sophistication.
#12tigerex777Posted 11/14/2012 3:17:38 PM
there are some games that actually change game content when you raise the difficulty, Ninja Gaiden games for example. When you play in harder modes, you get different enemy types and sometimes you get different bosses too. In this case the suggestion to raise the difficulty would be valid. In other games where you just die more times, I agree it's not a legitimate way of increasing the game's length.
---
i5 760 @ 3.8ghz / 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws / GTX 460 SLI @ 800/2000 / Cooler Master GX 750W PSU / Cooler Master Advance II case / Acer 22 1680x1050 / Windows 7 64
#13yankee6903Posted 11/14/2012 3:18:21 PM
To each their own, quit spazzing about it
---
PSN: nightshade6903 GT:nightshade6903
I am not a Republican or a Democrat, I am a conservative
#14urtvPosted 11/14/2012 3:28:58 PM
games are only long because people try to platinum
#15nonexistingheroPosted 11/14/2012 3:29:11 PM
Sophistication posted...
nonexistinghero posted...
5 minutes and 15 seconds for SMB is almost as good as the world record. I kinda doubt you're that fast, but it could be true.

Nah, I seen a guy beat smb in 4min 36 sec - no lie. I'm good, played my whole life, bur not world record good.

I'm pretty sure 4:36 is not possible.

Fastest recorded human-played world record that was set in February:

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/35144/super-mario-bros-speed-run-world-record-broken/

The record is 4:58. I doubt someone managed to do it 22 seconds faster without anyone knowing about it. And the fastest tool-assisted speedrun for the game is 4:57, only a second faster, which leads me to believe it's just not possible to do it that much faster, unless someone figures out a new method to make you go faster. Either you're only 17 seconds slower than the world record, or you're lying. You saying you saw someone do it in 4:36 takes away some of your creditibility, I'd say.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#16awesomesauce13Posted 11/14/2012 3:39:03 PM
Dunno why I'm even replying to this topic, but...

How fast you can speed-run a game has nothing to do with it at all. I can beat Spyro 2 in under an hour, but that doesn't mean the game is only an hour long
#17BilI_RizerPosted 11/14/2012 3:42:23 PM
Remember that guy who always said he was successful or whatever? Pretty sure this is him.
---
GameFAQs-where everyone is a six-digit earning tech expert, bodybuilder, and politician with 9 girlfriends while having fathomless middle-age wisdom.
#18Mutant1988Posted 11/14/2012 3:43:02 PM
A higher difficulty can definitely make a game last longer, by forcing you to utilize and master all the abilities the game makes available for you to progress.

If you're looking for a challenge and that delightful sense of accomplishment you get after overcoming it, increasing the difficulty not only makes it last longer, but makes for a much more enjoyable experience throughout.

Sure, you might have to replay parts because you fail initially, but that will only make the eventual success all that much more satisfying.

But here's the thing: This is a matter of balance. You should find the difficulty level you're comfortable with and play through it on that.

If it's too easy, you're going to leave unsatisfied by the gameplay and breeze past all the views without a sense of accomplishment. Those pretty graphics, stunning views and bombastic explosions? You didn't earn them. Might as well just have watched someone else play the game.

On the flip side, if you play on too high of a difficulty, you'll just get frustrated. And no one wants that.

My point? The right difficulty will make you play the game more and make the overall experience feel more substantial. It might not last longer, but trust me, you'll have a better time.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#19shawnmckPosted 11/14/2012 3:57:25 PM
This really is a dumb argument.....
Saying that a game will last longer by raising the difficulty (like if its a good thing), is like trying to claim that watching a 60 minute movie would be much better with multiple commercial interruptions to boost length.
#20Mutant1988Posted 11/14/2012 4:28:54 PM
shawnmck posted...
This really is a dumb argument.....
Saying that a game will last longer by raising the difficulty (like if its a good thing), is like trying to claim that watching a 60 minute movie would be much better with multiple commercial interruptions to boost length.

So you're really not looking for gameplay in your games I take it? Because that's that you extend the time of, by increasing the challenge and effort required to proceed. Bear in mind, this is highly subjective and only really works for a first play through.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.