This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Motion control was pitched to Sony first before Nintendo, Sony rejected

#1ArevinPosted 11/14/2012 4:11:14 PM
I'll never forget that meeting at Sony," Quinn says. "We were in a tiny little room with a big PC projector and Kutaragi comes in, introduces himself, sits down and - I swear this is true - he closed his eyes the moment I started showing my pitch. He never opened them until I had finished.

I recommend reading the article. Goes in details how Sony and MS almost thwarted the phenomena that is the Wii.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/378029/features/revolution-the-story-of-wii/
---
i5-2500k OC 4.5GHz@1.22v || Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 || Intel 80 GB SSD || F3 1 TB HDD || Corsair 8GB || MSI GTX 580 Lightning || 1050W || HAF X || Hyper 212+
#2shawnmckPosted 11/14/2012 4:21:59 PM
And Microsoft precluded both Nintendo & Sony with the Sidewinder (Freestyle Pro in 1998) controller for the PC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SideWinder

Scroll down to the sidewinder freestyle pro.
#3ElectricMolePosted 11/14/2012 4:24:30 PM
Viva la standard controller
---
http://youtu.be/NB9ea_xWexM
Let's Get to the Top!
#4theshovellerPosted 11/14/2012 4:24:44 PM
And Sega beat them both with that stupid Activator pad-thing you put on the floor in 199X. And someone will either correct me or one-up me.
#5shawnmckPosted 11/14/2012 4:30:51 PM
theshoveller posted...
And Sega beat them both with that stupid Activator pad-thing you put on the floor in 199X. And someone will either correct me or one-up me.

^ Well, Nintendo did make that glove controller for the NES. LoL
;)

BTW
Another tidbit that most of you probably already know, but is kinda of similar.

The PS1 was actually a joint adventure between Sony & Nintendo, as Nintendo commissioned Sony to develop & produce a cd based add-on for Nintendo's console at the time (either the SNES or the N64...don't remember).
Eventually Sony came through but Nintendo changed their minds and dropped out of the deal.
Sony, not wanted to waste the money & potential of the device decided to release it as a stand alone console. Thus the Playstation 1 was born.
And the rest as they say, is history.
#6THE_PS1_PATRIOTPosted 11/14/2012 4:37:56 PM
I don't give a crap who started it as we long know that it's better off as a "optional" way to play and not gonna be standard anytime soon....

Keep it in the realm of bongo drums, cameras, and other gaming gimmicks.
---
PLAYSTATION PATRIOT
#7servb0tsPosted 11/14/2012 4:43:21 PM
theshoveller posted...

^^Nintendo NES had Track n Field PAd, Duck Hunt Gun, Power Glove, & Rob the Robot.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner
#8crazyman32Posted 11/14/2012 4:44:23 PM
THE_PS1_PATRIOT posted...
I don't give a crap who started it as we long know that it's better off as a "optional" way to play and not gonna be standard anytime soon....

Keep it in the realm of bongo drums, cameras, and other gaming gimmicks.

same way I feel motion controls should be optional not the standard controls and that is one of the reasons I wasn't interested in the Wii.
---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I used to care but now I take a pill for that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KaOrSuWZeM
#9servb0tsPosted 11/14/2012 4:45:37 PM
shawnmck posted...
theshoveller posted...

;)

BTW

The PS1 was actually a joint adventure between Sony & Nintendo, as Nintendo commissioned Sony to develop & produce a cd based add-on for Nintendo's console at the time (either the SNES or the N64...don't remember).
Eventually Sony came through but Nintendo changed their minds and dropped out of the deal.
Sony, not wanted to waste the money & potential of the device decided to release it as a stand alone console. Thus the Playstation 1 was born.

^^Very True Playstaion wouldn't of existed had Nintendo not declined them, nice Fun Fact. Sony Fanboys should be greatful to Nintendo lol. :P
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner
#10SieKensouPosted 11/14/2012 4:55:01 PM
servb0ts posted...
shawnmck posted...
theshoveller posted...

;)

BTW

^^Very True Playstaion wouldn't of existed had Nintendo not declined them, nice Fun Fact. Sony Fanboys should be greatful to Nintendo lol. :P

all the more reason why they should be the center of the console wars and microsoft stick to pc
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462