This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ugh, I can't focus on a game long enough to finish it.

#1RintonPosted 11/15/2012 2:02:01 AM
Lifetime gamer here. Never had this difficulty before...
I'm having trouble staying interested in the games I'm playing. In fact, I keep going to gamestop and buying more games thinking that'll help, and it's just making things worse. I'm currently sitting on the following:
NBA 2k13
Assassin's Creed 3
Dragon's Dogma
Sleeping Dogs
XCOM Enemy Unknown
Fallout: New Vegas
Valkyria Chronicles.

Granted, I beat both NV and Valkyria Chronicles some time ago and just recently picked them back up out of boredom with the games I already had in my backlog.

Every one of these games is really good. Dragon's Dogma is the only one I haven't really enjoyed at all. Unfortunately though, after a few hours I find myself joyless with each of these games, and I'm having trouble sitting down and playing them. I WANT to finish these games. I've got saves in each. What do I do? Is there any specific playthrough ideas with any of these games that might make them more fun or interesting? I don't want to have just wasted a bunch of money on all these titles.
#2Jx1010Posted 11/15/2012 2:04:22 AM
Do NOT buy....''anything'' around Black Friday...

but I know u will...
---
Charlie Sheen wins!
#3AlltraPosted 11/15/2012 2:10:06 AM(edited)
Sounds to me like you're burned out. I get like this at times myself. Maybe just, take a break for awhile and find something else to do. It'll pass eventually though, it always has for me. It's just a pain in the ass when it happens because I feel apathetic, and even though I "Want" to play something, I just can't bring myself to do it.

...but yeah, definitely stop trying to fill the void by buying a lot of stuff. It's not the games, it's you. You just need to wait it out and get over it, and then you'll be able to maintain an interest in the games you do have long enough to enjoy them.
---
Math problems are the ultimate trick question. No matter how straight forward and simple they seem, the answer is never what you think it is.
#4Rinton(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 2:10:10 AM
I work black friday :/

The sad part is that in my depraved "I'm going to buy video games until I find one that interests me" state I actually broke down and ordered Black Ops II. I haven't ever owned a CoD game on console, and I think the last one I had was CoD2. The really lame part is that I spent the money on it on Amazon (live on an island so my gamestop doesn't have a bunch of copies of big releases) and they're saying it won't even ship until the 19th, and that I should expect it between the 28th and the 4th.

So lame. Laaaaaame.
#5Jx1010Posted 11/15/2012 2:11:45 AM
Falling in love makes u forget about video games.... for a lil bit
---
Charlie Sheen wins!
#6Rinton(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 2:13:06 AM
Alltra posted...
Sounds to me like you're burned out. I get like this at times myself. Maybe just, take a break for awhile and find something else to do. It'll pass eventually though, it always has for me. It's just a pain in the ass when it happens because I feel apathetic, and even though I "Want" to play something, I just can't bring myself to do it.

...but yeah, definitely stop trying to fill the void by buying a lot of stuff. It's not the games, it's you. You just need to wait it out and get over it, and then you'll be able to maintain an interest in the games you do have long enough to enjoy them.

You're probably right. I just need to find another hobby I guess. Tough when you're on a little island. Surfing's cool, but boards are so friggin expensive...
#7Rinton(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 2:20:10 AM
Jx1010 posted...
Falling in love makes u forget about video games.... for a lil bit

Just moved to a little island where I'm a minority and it's been surprisingly difficult to find a date. There's the added problem that every cute native girl has a big brother just waiting to kick my white ass. I've not given up hope though - just taking my time with it so I don't end up getting my face smashed in by some upset Hawaiian guy over his little sister/daughter/girlfriend/friend/any-other-relation-that-would-lead-to-me-getting-punched. Worried about getting punched at the age of 26 - who'd have thought?
#8Jx1010Posted 11/15/2012 2:20:13 AM
What can u focus on?
---
Charlie Sheen wins!
#9AlltraPosted 11/15/2012 2:21:13 AM
There's plenty of other entertainment avenues to pursue. It's not like it lasts for a long time. Typically I only ever have this problem for a few days, or at worst a week or two.
---
Math problems are the ultimate trick question. No matter how straight forward and simple they seem, the answer is never what you think it is.
#10Rinton(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 2:21:57 AM
Jx1010 posted...
What can u focus on?

Work. Music to a lesser extent but the guys I used to play with are an ocean away now and I work nights so I can't gig :/ Makes it tough to invest a lot of time into it when I know I'm not gigging anymore. I'd kind of been using gaming to fill out my life a little bit in the face of not really knowing anyone out here.