This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PlayStation All-Stars First DLC characters announced.... and they are FREE!!!

#71theshovellerPosted 11/15/2012 1:40:56 PM
Genius move, Sony. Give out these guys, who are conveniently on free games for PS+ members, to drive interest in PS+ memberships for getting those games "for free."

Touche, salesman, touche. I plan on nabbing them though I don't play the game, because who knows if I'll ever rent it, or buy it, or get it gifted, or whatever. I did the same thing with the Mass Effect freebie DLC, thoguh I don't own Mass Effect for PS3 (only system I don't own it on, too. Go fig.)
#72Blindsided20Posted 11/15/2012 1:44:13 PM
OfficeChair posted...
No what I mean is that they've planned for a very very long time to make these characters AFTER the game has gone gold. It's not like they've been sitting around for two days since the game has gone gold and have gone "I KNOW! LET'S DO SOMETHING TO APPRECIATE OUR FANS!" It's not like that at all. It's more like...

Publisher: "How can we use DLC to boost our sales without seeming like scumbags?"
Seth Killian aka the PR guy:"Oh I know, I used to work at Capcom so I felt like a scumbag all the time. Well you see, let's hold off on two characters until the game goes gold. We'll bill it as free DLC for a limited time. If we do that we'll 1) release the game in time for Christimas 2) make sure people buy the game within 3 months of launch 3) make extra profit on those who don't snag the characters in two weeks 4) Will seem like we're doing the fans a favor"
Publisher; GENIUS!

It's a $$$ ploy for sure, but I will admit that it's less scummy than the usual tactics. It really works out in your favor that they planned to do this if you plan to buy the game early, if not then you're going to be paying premium prices.

This would make sense if this was Snake/Cloud/Spyro/Crash but the 2 characters are from 2 games that hit North American stores just a few months back, so the game was pretty far in development.

Why take the chance if your SuperBot in Gravity Rush and Starhawk being big hits for their system(s)? People would laugh them out if they included Kat or Emmitt if their respective games bombed.

Besides, who knows how completely done the two characters are. Article says they are coming in 2013, if SuperBot wanted more money they'd make these 2 DLCs for any preorders.

I don't question that this may entice people to get the game earlier than expected but I think its more of a reward for the early buyers of the game AKA "The DieHardfans"(Not to say people who don't get it early aren't since 60 bucks is 60 bucks for a game)
#73OfficeChairPosted 11/15/2012 1:47:25 PM
I don't know that the popular appeal to the characters matters. I actually think they could of only pulled this move off with less popular characters. If it was Cloud or something, then there would of been a ****storm that he wasn't on disc.

I guess my main point is that this isn't a move by the Publisher/Devs to appreciate the fans. There is a business strategy at work and it benefits -everyone- if the consumers are aware of it as well.
---
this topic is ruined
[i really hate classic rock]
#74Superfly Jo JoPosted 11/15/2012 1:49:11 PM
For those complaining about the DLC characters only being free for 2 weeks, wouldn't you just be able to go on the PS Store and download the characters within the 2 week window and then just purchase the game later?
---
PSN: spacedirtyjerz
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, Zelda: OoT, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, Conker's Bad Fur Day
#75Blindsided20Posted 11/15/2012 1:50:07 PM
Superfly Jo Jo posted...
For those complaining about the DLC characters only being free for 2 weeks, wouldn't you just be able to go on the PS Store and download the characters within the 2 week window and then just purchase the game later?

I am wondering how that'll work. Maybe they might require you to put in your PSBB internet code that comes with the game or something?
#76crazyman32Posted 11/15/2012 1:58:35 PM
Terotrous posted...
Yeah seriously what's wrong with the people on this board.

"Hey guys you're getting new stuff for free!"
"I don't like it, it's not free enough."

some people just love to complain and the fact that it's free doesn't matter to them.
---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I used to care but now I take a pill for that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KaOrSuWZeM
#77crazyman32Posted 11/15/2012 2:00:31 PM
fhsfootball74 posted...
Video_Game_Czar posted...
Free DLC

+1 for Sony

this

agreed this
---
I used to care but now I take a pill for that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KaOrSuWZeM
#78crazyman32Posted 11/15/2012 2:05:06 PM
RollingCradle posted...
Free for only two weeks, how stupid is that?

all you have to do is download the dlc then use it when you get the game keep on trolling TrollingCradle.
---
#79SergeChronoPosted 11/15/2012 2:22:58 PM
Is it exclusive to Vita? Or I'll be able to play it on PS3 too?
#80CrevoxPosted 11/15/2012 3:31:16 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]