This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

wow. Sony managed to sell 70 million units of PS3?

#81Spiroth_KweehhPosted 11/16/2012 12:02:56 PM
Black_Assassin posted...
HakaiVeil posted...
Black_Assassin posted...
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
But most important feature that sets it apart every other Home console of all time, Region Free.

P4A
P4A isn't a detractor of the PS3's Region-Free status.

P4A was forced to be region-locked.

Guess which company had to add a region locking option into the hardware in order for that to be possible.

We're still on the subject?
Because there's no adding or removing anything.
A company releasing a game just decided to crap on its customers.
There's nothing SONY added that enabled P4A to be Region Locked.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#82Spiroth_KweehhPosted 11/16/2012 12:13:20 PM(edited)
HakaiVeil posted...
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
Cyber Akuma Zero posted...
Lets all ignore the fact that it sold half as well as the PS2 and nowhere near the PS1 shall we?

Reassurance at it's greatest.

Also, seriously, you cannot compare sales of older systems like the SNES to modern ones, those were different times. Back then gaming was regarded as a nerd hobby for little kids and was far more niche, now it has usurped music AND movies in the US at the top form of entertainment and the average age of the US gamer is 18-35.

But PS1 sold 102 millions in 11 years.
PS3 has sold 70 million in 6 years. In 5 years it will outsell PS1.
It will also sell 2/3 of what the greatest selling console have sold.

So, how will it have sold half of what PS2 did, and especially how the hell will it be nowhere near PS1?

Incorrect.

You can't assume that the PS3 will continue being sold at a steady rate for the next 5 years. There is a CHANCE it will outsell the PSX.

Until the economy turns around, the sale chances aren't going to be as high as before.
And for the last time, USA is just one country. Not even a Region by itself.
The fact that a console has a 10 million lead in that particular country, had 12 months headstart and still is being outsold worldwide, shows that 1 country figures mean nothing.

Nope I was correct, exactly because I didn't assume that the PS3 will continue being sold at a steady rate for the next 5 years.

I didn't say the PS3 will sell 55 million units the next 5 years (which = steady rate), I accounted for normal gradual less sales, by saying it will reach PS1 sales (aka 30 more million units).
Of course all numbers are hypothetical, but common sense shows the way.
Imagine what will happen when PS3 reaches 150 Euros in price.
Now imagine what will happen when the huge anticipated for years exclusives roll in.
And especially, imagine a GT6 on PS3.
It will fly out everywhere.

And what the heck happened with your quote? o_O

---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#83Black_AssassinPosted 11/16/2012 1:09:39 PM
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...

http://www.ps3news.com/PlayStation-3/rumor-sony-to-region-restrict-new-ps3-games-using-sdk-3-50/

yea sure
#84Cyber Akuma ZeroPosted 11/16/2012 1:21:58 PM
pokemon_45_79_1 posted...
And also to the Atlus thing, I am sure Atlus is behind it being region locked, now I am sure Sony wasn't really happy about that for the game.

The developer has the right to region lock there games, its not Sony fault its Atlus.

Spiroth_Kweehh posted...

I am really really REALLY sick of this "Its up the publisher's fault" bull.

Do you know how region locking works? The system is assigned a region code, and is SPECIFICALLY PROGRAMMED to check for a region code for any software or media it tries to run. If it finds one and the code isn't the same as the system's own region code, it will not run the file. This has nothing to do with the game's code itself, the game's own coding actually has NOTHING on it preventing it from running. Its the system itself that doesn't even run the code to start with. Its possible for a disk/downloaded file to not have a region code in it, in this case, it will run on any region system because the check passes since there is no region to check against. This is how a region locked system works.

DVD players work like this
Blu-Ray players work like this
The 360 works like this.

So then how come the PS3 isn't like region-locked DVD players or 360s?

That's because it IS EXACTLY LIKE A REGION LOCKED DVD PLAYER OR 360!

The PS3 is specifically programmed, BY SONY, with a region code. The PS3 is also specifically programmed, BY SONY, to check the region of a disk/downloaded game and the PS3 itself, NOT the game, refuses to run it if the regions mis-match.

Sony enabled regions on the PS3
Sony put in code to region lock games on the PS3
Sony gave publishers the ability to region-lock their games

The PS3 is no more "region free" than a 360 is. I have a Japanese 360 game that has no region code on it, it plays perfectly fine on my 100% unhacked and unmodified US 360. That doesn't mean the 360 is region free.

Don't push the blame on Atlas, it is Sony who enabled the ability for Atlas to region-lock their games on the PS3. If Sony never put region lock programming in the PS3, Atlas would never have been able to region lock Persona 4. The P4A disk is rejected by the PS3 before it even loads or runs any code.

So yes, the PS3 is not region free, its a region-locked console just like the 360, and Atlus is not fully to blame (although they do deserve some blame for putting a region code on a disk they had to option not to)
---
"A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation." - William Faulkner
Gamertag in profile
#85UniversquallPosted 11/16/2012 2:27:16 PM
Cyber Akuma Zero posted...
pokemon_45_79_1 posted...
And also to the Atlus thing, I am sure Atlus is behind it being region locked, now I am sure Sony wasn't really happy about that for the game.

The developer has the right to region lock there games, its not Sony fault its Atlus.

Spiroth_Kweehh posted...

I am really really REALLY sick of this "Its up the publisher's fault" bull.

Do you know how region locking works? The system is assigned a region code, and is SPECIFICALLY PROGRAMMED to check for a region code for any software or media it tries to run. If it finds one and the code isn't the same as the system's own region code, it will not run the file. This has nothing to do with the game's code itself, the game's own coding actually has NOTHING on it preventing it from running. Its the system itself that doesn't even run the code to start with. Its possible for a disk/downloaded file to not have a region code in it, in this case, it will run on any region system because the check passes since there is no region to check against. This is how a region locked system works.

DVD players work like this
Blu-Ray players work like this
The 360 works like this.

So then how come the PS3 isn't like region-locked DVD players or 360s?

That's because it IS EXACTLY LIKE A REGION LOCKED DVD PLAYER OR 360!

The PS3 is specifically programmed, BY SONY, with a region code. The PS3 is also specifically programmed, BY SONY, to check the region of a disk/downloaded game and the PS3 itself, NOT the game, refuses to run it if the regions mis-match.

Sony enabled regions on the PS3
Sony put in code to region lock games on the PS3
Sony gave publishers the ability to region-lock their games

The PS3 is no more "region free" than a 360 is. I have a Japanese 360 game that has no region code on it, it plays perfectly fine on my 100% unhacked and unmodified US 360. That doesn't mean the 360 is region free.

Don't push the blame on Atlas, it is Sony who enabled the ability for Atlas to region-lock their games on the PS3. If Sony never put region lock programming in the PS3, Atlas would never have been able to region lock Persona 4. The P4A disk is rejected by the PS3 before it even loads or runs any code.

So yes, the PS3 is not region free, its a region-locked console just like the 360, and Atlus is not fully to blame (although they do deserve some blame for putting a region code on a disk they had to option not to)

lol. Seriously
---
After the Fallout
#86ebullientprismPosted 11/16/2012 3:37:16 PM
"Was"?

It still is.
---
Put this in your sig if you agree - "probably because mw2 felt like a real sequel and uncharted 2 was more of an expansion pack"
#87kewldude475Posted 11/16/2012 3:42:17 PM
OtakuGamera posted...
Until you realize the PS2 sold over 150 million units..

over 20 years

ITT: 12 years = 20 years.

Also, in 6 years, the same amount of time PS3 has been out, PS2 sold over 30 million more units.
---
PSN: kewldude475; 3DS FC: 4253-3798-3218; Steam:kewldude475;
Vita is just a PSP with higher specs - Megaman Omega
#88SomnusNemorisPosted 11/16/2012 4:18:38 PM
Ahh so the 360, with its one year headstart, is now dead last?
#89ebullientprismPosted 11/16/2012 4:22:31 PM
Saw this a couple of days ago, ps3 worldwide is ahead by .2 million, what happened.

People thinking the 360 hasn't sold any units since September.
---
Put this in your sig if you agree - "probably because mw2 felt like a real sequel and uncharted 2 was more of an expansion pack"
#90temgunPosted 11/16/2012 4:24:29 PM
OtakuGamera posted...
Until you realize the PS2 sold over 150 million units..

over 20 years

2012-2000=20?
---
BROCCOLI COCONUT HOT DOG