This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

wow. Sony managed to sell 70 million units of PS3?

#91Spiroth_KweehhPosted 11/16/2012 3:34:04 PM
Black_Assassin posted...
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
There's nothing SONY added that enabled P4A to be Region Locked.

http://www.ps3news.com/PlayStation-3/rumor-sony-to-region-restrict-new-ps3-games-using-sdk-3-50/

yea sure

Sure.
Stranglehold was supposed to be Region Locked back in 2007, so it has always been up to the IP owner.
It wasn't though due to bad press.

Atlus is entirely at fault, 100%.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#92Spiroth_KweehhPosted 11/16/2012 3:41:57 PM
Cyber Akuma Zero posted...
pokemon_45_79_1 posted...
And also to the Atlus thing, I am sure Atlus is behind it being region locked, now I am sure Sony wasn't really happy about that for the game.

The developer has the right to region lock there games, its not Sony fault its Atlus.

Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
We're still on the subject?
Because there's no adding or removing anything.
A company releasing a game just decided to crap on its customers.
There's nothing SONY added that enabled P4A to be Region Locked.

I am really really REALLY sick of this "Its up the publisher's fault" bull.

Do you know how region locking works? The system is assigned a region code, and is SPECIFICALLY PROGRAMMED to check for a region code for any software or media it tries to run. If it finds one and the code isn't the same as the system's own region code, it will not run the file. This has nothing to do with the game's code itself, the game's own coding actually has NOTHING on it preventing it from running. Its the system itself that doesn't even run the code to start with. Its possible for a disk/downloaded file to not have a region code in it, in this case, it will run on any region system because the check passes since there is no region to check against. This is how a region locked system works.

DVD players work like this
Blu-Ray players work like this
The 360 works like this.

So then how come the PS3 isn't like region-locked DVD players or 360s?

That's because it IS EXACTLY LIKE A REGION LOCKED DVD PLAYER OR 360!

The PS3 is specifically programmed, BY SONY, with a region code. The PS3 is also specifically programmed, BY SONY, to check the region of a disk/downloaded game and the PS3 itself, NOT the game, refuses to run it if the regions mis-match.

Sony enabled regions on the PS3
Sony put in code to region lock games on the PS3
Sony gave publishers the ability to region-lock their games

The PS3 is no more "region free" than a 360 is. I have a Japanese 360 game that has no region code on it, it plays perfectly fine on my 100% unhacked and unmodified US 360. That doesn't mean the 360 is region free.

Don't push the blame on Atlas, it is Sony who enabled the ability for Atlas to region-lock their games on the PS3. If Sony never put region lock programming in the PS3, Atlas would never have been able to region lock Persona 4. The P4A disk is rejected by the PS3 before it even loads or runs any code.

So yes, the PS3 is not region free, its a region-locked console just like the 360, and Atlus is not fully to blame (although they do deserve some blame for putting a region code on a disk they had to option not to)

-PS3 games are Region Locked, exactly like Xbox 360, PS2 and all other consoles.

-Meanwhile I play every PS3 game ever (3589 / 3590 games) on my PS3, and every PS1, PS2, PSN, mini game I have bought from every Region of PSN.

-And you keep implying your point. lol.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#93justinlynch3Posted 11/16/2012 3:45:52 PM
OtakuGamera posted...
Until you realize the PS2 sold over 150 million units..

over 20 years

2000 - 2012

Try adding that up again. lol. PS2 went 12 years.
---
Mystic Forum - http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/
NewGenerations - http://forum.newgenforums.net/topic/8090441/1/#new
#94Lelouch71Posted 11/16/2012 4:53:28 PM
LuminescentRule posted...
Yeah sounds great.

Until you realize the PS2 sold over 150 million units..

Do you know any of any console that came close to the PS2 level?

Yeah the DS. Sure it's not a home console but it's a video game system. It's the second best selling system of all time.

It's not bad for a system that's dead last. Not many systems in third place can brag about that. However, the PS3 should had sold as well the Wii but Sony shot themselves in the foot. I have no sympathy for their own hubris and stupidity.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#95UniversquallPosted 11/16/2012 4:56:39 PM
LuminescentRule posted...
Do you know any of any console that came close to the PS2 level?

Nope. But ever since Nintendos massive failure with last gen attempt 1 some people now include Handhelds. So maybe a handheld has?
---
After the Fallout
#96JONlCS(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 8:37:36 PM
bump lol
---
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PSVsPiIwsqQ/TAlGHwwN_zI/AAAAAAAAAXE/ipm4TVU-b-0/s1600/tumblr_l3czi5m2dd1qzavhvo1_500.jpg
#97ElectricMolePosted 11/16/2012 8:58:57 PM
70 million nails.
---
http://youtu.be/NB9ea_xWexM
Let's Get to the Top!
#98tonyalmaedaPosted 11/16/2012 9:41:03 PM
Whoa whoa whoa, when did the triple(PS3) outsell the 360 worldwide?

Am I in the Twilight Zone because that is something that was never suppose to happen. 5 mil lead is all I heard for years now the PS3 is ahead. What happened???

And 70 mil? Very impressive.
---
Lord Major General Tonyalmaeda of the Royal Overlord Guard/PSN jezandjac and Senior Sony Rep.
Personal and UNMATACHED Assassin for the Overlord
#99hotgamerPosted 11/16/2012 10:06:53 PM
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
Black_Assassin posted...
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
But most important feature that sets it apart every other Home console of all time, Region Free.

P4A

Thank you for giving proof to what I said.

-3589 PS3 games are Region Free.
-1 PS3 game isn't, because Atlus. (Oh and it hurt it so much. P4A will get destroyed in Europe, whenever it gets released. Atlus name stained a little bit too. So much potential down the toilet).

As I said on the context of the discussion it was mentioned in (anti-consumer practices), "The most important feature that sets PS3 apart every other popular Home console of all time, is it being Region Free".

Persona 4 Arena is a terrible game, regardless of the region issue.
---
Trying to contain the chaos is futile.
#100slyman19Posted 11/16/2012 10:11:24 PM
tonyalmaeda posted...
Whoa whoa whoa, when did the triple(PS3) outsell the 360 worldwide?

Am I in the Twilight Zone because that is something that was never suppose to happen. 5 mil lead is all I heard for years now the PS3 is ahead. What happened???

And 70 mil? Very impressive.

Why do people keep saying the PS3 passed the 360? The 360 is still in 2nd by probably a million or more.