This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is your position on 4K TVs for future gaming?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. What is your position on 4K TVs for future gaming?
3 years ago#1
What do you think? - Results (109 votes)
A) Sounds good! I like my TV to be on the cutting edge.
17.43% (19 votes)
B) I'm happy with 720p/1080p. No need to divide consumers even more yet.
56.88% (62 votes)
C) 4K? No. I haven't even upgraded to HDTV yet.
7.34% (8 votes)
D) Only 4k? Where is my 12k TV? I need to see the bacteria on their faces.
14.68% (16 votes)
E) Other (explain.)
3.67% (4 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I'm in the B) camp. I think it's a bit early to push higher.
---
PSN #1: Nicodimus - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Kaylee (Fighter)
PSN #2: Nicodimus222 - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Mina (Mage)
3 years ago#2
I want to see native HD resolutions in 720/1080p first.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y2KsU_dhwI
3 years ago#3
My friends keep whining about it but I don't see the point, 1080p is perfect and I don't want to see more strain put on devs for people obsessed with graphics.
3 years ago#4
4K or Ultra-HD is unlikely to be any sort of standard soon. It certainly isn't going to be the standard bearer for gaming next generation. We have to remember that gaming resolutions for consoles often parallel that of current media and broadcast.

In all likelihood, 1080p60 will be a de facto standard for next gen.

Sure, there will be compatibility/support for 4K but games aren't going to be offered in that resolution for consoles natively. PCs are a different matter.

Having a TV at that resolution is going to be non-essential from a gaming standpoint.

Could it have other uses? Yes. 4K cameras and devices are likely to proliferate the market before the end of next gen. One only needs to look at something like the GoPro 3 Black @ $400 to know that 4K is just around the corner.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
3 years ago#5
Nicodimus posted...
I'm in the B) camp. I think it's a bit early to push higher.

Personally I don't care, chances are when I get a new TV I will be getting a 3d one as its pretty cheap, I will do the same thing with 4K, Ill get it when its cheap and if that takes 3 or 4 years then so be it.

There are still tons of people out there with Tube TV's, I can only imagine what the next gen consoles that can take advantage of 4K are going to do to the quality on those TV's. People already complain about things being blurry or the text is unreadable.
---
http://www.terra-comic.com --> Terra: a Science Fiction Webcomic / Updates every 15th of the month.
3 years ago#6
I am fine with my 1080P TV and probably in a few years I will get a 4K TV when they will be cheaper to buy.
---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I used to care but now I take a pill for that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KaOrSuWZeM
3 years ago#7
Developers can't even get the most current games at 1080p at 30FPS let alone 60FPS.

I'm sick of so many games being 720p and not even being 60FPS. These weak developers will never reach a benchmark because they keep doing the same weak coding game after game.

Even Namco Bandai doesn't get their fighting games to 720p native in a lot of cases and that is sad.

1080p 60FPS should be standard yet we won't even see it next-gen which is pathetic. I want a ton of RAM regardless of whether it's used or not, because if they can't make games in 1080p they at least need to use high-res textures to compensate,

4000p won't even be common for at least 10 years.
3 years ago#8
XSilverPhoenixX posted...
Developers can't even get the most current games at 1080p at 30FPS let alone 60FPS.

I'm sick of so many games being 720p and not even being 60FPS. These weak developers will never reach a benchmark because they keep doing the same weak coding game after game.

Even Namco Bandai doesn't get their fighting games to 720p native in a lot of cases and that is sad.

1080p 60FPS should be standard yet we won't even see it next-gen which is pathetic. I want a ton of RAM regardless of whether it's used or not, because if they can't make games in 1080p they at least need to use high-res textures to compensate,

I understand your skepticism but I really don't think that 1080p60 is beyond reach for next generation. Granted, games may start next gen at 1080p30 but I am willing to bet that the 60fps performance benchmark is attainable.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
3 years ago#9
regsantotomas posted...

I understand your skepticism but I really don't think that 1080p60 is beyond reach for next generation. Granted, games may start next gen at 1080p30 but I am willing to bet that the 60fps performance benchmark is attainable.

It is attainable with a talented developer that knows how to code. The problem is that a lot of these game companies don't want to learn new technology or they want everything simple so they don't have to put in the effort. Very few developers have the talent to accomplish 1080p/60FPS.

You have systems like the Wii U where the lazy developers will go and if they were tasked with making a game on the next Sony or MS system you're not going to get much better results from them. The industry has become complacent in laziness and this is why there are so few big name companies making blockbuster games and the rest are run of the mill.
3 years ago#10
regsantotomas posted...

It is attainable with a talented developer that knows how to code. The problem is that a lot of these game companies don't want to learn new technology or they want everything simple so they don't have to put in the effort. Very few developers have the talent to accomplish 1080p/60FPS.

You have systems like the Wii U where the lazy developers will go and if they were tasked with making a game on the next Sony or MS system you're not going to get much better results from them. The industry has become complacent in laziness and this is why there are so few big name companies making blockbuster games and the rest are run of the mill.

I think that the WiiU is going to be a very different beast than what I hope and expect to see from Microsoft and Sony. I think the specifications and dev kits alone should prove an easier avenue to achieve the type of performances that core gamers are going to expect next generation.
---
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. What is your position on 4K TVs for future gaming?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived