This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It's humiliating for Microsoft that 360s sales are almost identical to the PS3s

#1Dark World RulerPosted 11/17/2012 10:06:30 AM
Honestly, I have seen this board fighting over the recent sales milestone of 70 million units that the PS3 hit, and there has been a bunch of back and forth bickering over who is leading at the very moment. But seriously..... does it even matter?

The fact that there is even a question if the PS3 surpassed the 360's sales already is absolutely embarrassing for Microsoft. I mean a few years ago the worldwide gap was about 8-10 million between the PS3 and 360. Yes it was that big, and right now the sales are nearly identical.

The thing is though, MS got a full year head start this gen and has been selling the 360 with the entry point price being at $200 since 2008. That is four years now and when the 360 initially hit that price the PS3 was $400 the cheapest. And now to this day, the PS3 still remains more expensive than the 360 with it's entry point being $250, $270 in the US if the you want the new and smaller PS3 model. I won't even bring into the equation how ridiculously much more advertising MS has done for the 360 than Sony has done for the PS3, even going to the extremities of having Justin Beiber advertise the 360....

And yet somehow the PS3 is virtually tied with the 360? Let's not even talk about as soon as the next year starts, with the PS3 having an exclusive release in each month of Q1 2013 (Ni No Kuni in January, Sly 4 in February, and God of War: Ascension in March) along with multiplatform games like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and DmC that will get the lions-share of sales on PS3 due to the series being more popular on the console.

I think this speaks volumes for the power and appeal of the PlayStation brand, and also a good indicator of how well the PS4 will perform next gen. Chances are the PS4 will not repeat the disastrous launch the PS3 had or have the development woes with an architecture that was so difficult to work with at first.

In the end, games are all that matters and not sales, but many people have made it a career (especially on GameFAQs) to play sales more than any game on the console they were biased to and look for every opportunity to rub it in. Now they don't even have that, but that just goes to show how things could turn out in the "console war" so many have obsessed over.
---
I am the son and the heir,
Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
#2PoloMan6Posted 11/17/2012 10:11:33 AM
You could not be more WRONG.

The PS2 outsold the original Xbox by a landslide 5-1 maybe more.

The fact that the PS3 is still TRYING to surpass the 360 is a huge testament to the rise of the Microsoft Gaming system...and of course the FALL OF THE PS3.
#3Luthor_Posted 11/17/2012 10:11:47 AM
I think that you're making too big of a deal about something that has zero impact on you and making this board appear childish.
---
Dante Stormblade
#4RollingCradlePosted 11/17/2012 10:15:41 AM
Sony been dead last for 7 years, now that is something to be proud of.
#5IAmNOTMcLovinPosted 11/17/2012 10:16:14 AM
Luthor_ posted...
I think that you're making too big of a deal about something that has zero impact on you and making this board appear childish.

---
This post made using GameRaven alpha_build_10
Insanity On A Bun Software - Pushing the bounds of software sanity
#6joe_davidPosted 11/17/2012 10:17:38 AM
Xbox 360 sales are at 74.5 million as of today.

It's a pretty substantial gap IMO.
---
god of war 2 is the best game eva
#7ebullientprismPosted 11/17/2012 10:19:22 AM
Virtually tied?

Sony is having to dip into it's holiday shipments just to match where the 360 was at months ago.

Things have gotten so bad for Sony they don't even report PS3 sales any more, they have to combine them with the PS2 to avoid embarrassment.
---
Put this in your sig if you agree - "probably because mw2 felt like a real sequel and uncharted 2 was more of an expansion pack"
#8Dark World Ruler(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2012 10:25:04 AM
PoloMan6 posted...
You could not be more WRONG.

The PS2 outsold the original Xbox by a landslide 5-1 maybe more.

The fact that the PS3 is still TRYING to surpass the 360 is a huge testament to the rise of the Microsoft Gaming system...and of course the FALL OF THE PS3.

I never said that the Xbox brand hasn't achieved a level of success this gen, but a lot of it's success came from the PS3 being so expensive at first and other launch woes. Hell even I bought a 360 before I bought a PS3.

And there was no fall of the PS3, there was a disastrous launch. By that logic though, wouldnt you be saying the "FALL OF THE 360" since the PS3 and 360 are virtually tied O_o. Strange logic, but you sound like a desperate fanboy either way
---
#9jollydingdongPosted 11/17/2012 10:25:56 AM
360s way more expensive than the PS3 now

In the UK it's 150 for a 4GB Xbox 360 unit and the PS3 is 160 for a 160GB model, 250 for a 250gb Xbox.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/37912/Analysis_Xbox_360_Outsells_PS3_At_Higher_Average_Price_In_US.php

Not to mention Sony has lopped off $350 off the price in 6 years vs Microsofts $100 in 7 years.

Microsoft has made a few hundred million $ profit this gen
Sony has lost 5.5 Billion $

And the PS3 is still losing ground.
#10Dark World Ruler(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2012 10:27:46 AM
Luthor_ posted...

It is a response to all the commotion, a levelheaded one that is saying the reality of it. It is nothing to get upset over really
---