This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS4 Rumors possible price tag (link inside)

#51CaanimalPosted 11/17/2012 3:36:13 PM
nonexistinghero posted...
Universquall posted...
carlosmuniz20 posted...
and we know what happened last time they priced a console that high.

We do. They went on to have the fastest selling HD console of all time.

There's only 2 and the Wii U will probably beat that anyway.

You missed a key point there.... The Wii U IS NOT HD... At least now from what I have read about it so far...

kuter posted...
When you think back, 600$ wasn't so bad, you had a console that could play games and play bluray disc (back then it was like...300-400$?)

Actually, AT launch the next closest blu-ray player was still over $1000s. Or had JUST dropped below the 1k mark, can't remember exactly anymore.
#52ToastyAnakinPosted 11/17/2012 3:38:15 PM
A new console NEEDS backward compatibility.

You are going to pay $400 to play one game only when you buy it? People may have done it in the older days of gaming but now its just a sad display.

Look at the Vita. People keep whining about its launch year.

Sony screwed up the BC for that. Some digital psp games were removed when the Vita came out, and some digital psp games are on the store but just wont work with the vita.

When the ps3 launched, people recommended buying games like Final Fantasy XII and God of war II so you could play it on the ps3.

the ps4 needs some kind of BC, at the very least make it BC with Ps1 and PS2
---
"if gears can be done on the 360, than any game can be done on the 360" (Wisdom_Cube) "I am the content doesn't inst rest me yet"(theroc500)
#53Rickoon5Posted 11/17/2012 3:49:22 PM
Universquall posted...
carlosmuniz20 posted...
and we know what happened last time they priced a console that high.

We do. They went on to have the fastest selling HD console of all time.

And made less money than it's HD rival and even less than a SD rival. Their other branches kept them afloat long enough to get popular this time. But fanboys demand for even higher graphics may sink them a second time around with many of those branches now struggling and a small profit from PS3's slow start up.

Obviously Vita isn't helping, and with their salvation games down to 1 (P4: Golden) Sony's going to probably bet on a semi-risky copy-Nintendo route (only slightly higher graphics, but uses a tablet controller).
---
"I'll do whatever it takes."
#54loseswithluigiPosted 11/17/2012 3:59:36 PM
You can build a gaming PC for that price now.
#55pokemon_45_79_1Posted 11/17/2012 4:18:28 PM
Oh look another rumor big surprise.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#56Avous_YelmurcPosted 11/17/2012 4:30:08 PM
Rather buy a new video card.
#57Lunitik MuzikPosted 11/17/2012 4:32:29 PM(edited)
TomoEK9 posted...
Geno posted...
The funny part is that I can build my own computer from scratch with the same budget I'd spend on a PS4 and my computer would blow the PS4 out of the water. When're you guys gonna get tired of spending $600 for obsolete technology that doesn't cost them more than $100 to produce, and of which the prices continually decrease over time?

I paid $150 for a PS3 back in January and I still feel like I got robbed.

Do you enjoy playing MGS4, Little Big Planet, Uncharted and Gran Turismo on your PC? Mine has a little trouble doing so.

Points like this are absolutely asinine and pointless. Regardless of your PC's specs, you aren't playing games that are marketed towards consoles and for the most part, PC releases are after-thoughts for most companies.

Console releases prove to be more profitable and easier to work with so PS4, Xbox720 and Wii U will always be more preferred for game devs than any PC, no matter how powerful it is.

The only games listed worth mentioning were MGS4 and Uncharted 2; because lets be honest, 1 and 3 aren't "must have exclusives". As far as other two are concerned, the better racing games this gen ended up being multiplatform releases, and if you love LBP you'd probably love Garry's Mod.

That's not worth 600$ to me, and neither is Sony's potential line-up, seeing how forgettable a majority of exclusives have been; nevermind the fact that a good amount of the better exclusives were released when the price dropped anyways. With the PC seeing a decent amount of support from developers recently, I can go drop 300$ on a ridiculous card and be set for the next 8 years, and still come out ahead. Which I find hilarious personally.

It should worry us all though, with the way developers are dropping like flies this gen, or churning out a crap game in hopes to make a quick profit. How much worse would it be if this console ends up being around 600$? Then add the fact that Microsoft's next console would probably be in the same ballpark price-wise. We know the Halos and CoDs will be safe. What about everything else?
#58jabboonPosted 11/17/2012 5:32:20 PM
When PS3 was released with its ridiculous price of $699 or whatever it was, it boasted complete Backward compatibility and Full Game sharing with family/friends.

They took away both of those basically as time went on with new consoles, but it helped move systems with release.

If they seriously are dumb enough to sell a $600 console in this economy without Backward compatibility for ps3 games, I will gladly go with Microsoft next gen. Sony needs to realize it has like 2 decent Exclusives left (Uncharted and MLB)
---
Layin the Crunch Down-The Eredar Legends
#59RagnoraokPosted 11/17/2012 5:47:24 PM
jabboon posted...
When PS3 was released with its ridiculous price of $699 or whatever it was, it boasted complete Backward compatibility and Full Game sharing with family/friends.

They took away both of those basically as time went on with new consoles, but it helped move systems with release.

If they seriously are dumb enough to sell a $600 console in this economy without Backward compatibility for ps3 games, I will gladly go with Microsoft next gen. Sony needs to realize it has like 2 decent Exclusives left (Uncharted and MLB)

Infamous getting popular. God of War is getting less popular though....
---
PSN: RichYungThaBest
"What's the point" "There is no point" "Ahh, That's the point"
#60MourningReignsPosted 11/17/2012 5:48:24 PM
Another American job lost. Rumor mongering.
---
I finally won a mod dispute. Too bad it got overturned a day after my suspension ended.