This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS4 Rumors possible price tag (link inside)

#71CooperRCPosted 11/18/2012 10:37:11 AM(edited)
xOmniCloudx posted...
Universquall posted...
carlosmuniz20 posted...
and we know what happened last time they priced a console that high.

We do. They went on to have the fastest selling HD console of all time.

While losing billions in the process before it meant something good for them financially. It's about money you actually make which is pointless if you sell at major losses for a long time before becoming profitable and it only seemingly cancelling out.

It has not cancelled out. Overall the PS3 is still in the red and will never made it to black at its end of life. Sony spent and lost too much money early on with the PS3 to make an overall profit on the system.
#72pokemon_45_79_1Posted 11/18/2012 10:38:52 AM
So another 2 no name sites in this topic one by tc the other by another poster that no one has heard of have said this mind blown.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#73carlosmuniz20(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2012 3:44:27 PM
albanianx1 posted...
Another terrible mistake if true. They need to release the console at 450$ and then drop it to 399$ the Christmas after. They were absolutely killed this generation when they sold their console for 600$.

yeah I'm with ^this guy they should go for the 400 or less price tag
---
PSN ID: melloack
#74PHOENIXZEROPosted 11/21/2012 3:15:50 AM(edited)
They're obviously going to go for a $400 price tag.. The things that most contributed to the PS3 being a $500-$600 console aren't going factors this time.

---
Search engines are awesome, you can find the answer to the question that's been asked a hundred times before in a manner of seconds, more people should try it.
#75lambchipsPosted 11/21/2012 3:28:56 AM
the higher the price the better the specs will be....
if you guys want to play games on ultra setting, you'll want to hope for a system thats atleast $600

a $400 will probably only be able to play games on high/mid
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#76NthPosted 11/21/2012 3:47:07 AM
loseswithluigi posted...
You can build a gaming PC for that price now.

Not in Canada you can't. I know because I am currently building a new gaming PC.
---
"Evil is a by-product of nature's strategies for creation and that is woven into our most basic biological fabric." - The Lucifer Principle
#77PHOENIXZEROPosted 11/21/2012 3:53:47 AM
lambchips posted...
the higher the price the better the specs will be....
if you guys want to play games on ultra setting, you'll want to hope for a system thats atleast $600

a $400 will probably only be able to play games on high/mid

$400 retail =/= $400 production.
---
Search engines are awesome, you can find the answer to the question that's been asked a hundred times before in a manner of seconds, more people should try it.
#78AlltraPosted 11/21/2012 4:06:30 AM
"They went on to have the fastest selling HD console of all time."

This comment makes me laugh so goddamn hard. How many HD Consoles have their been? Two? That's like watching two snails race, and calling the winner the fastest snail ever.
---
Math problems are the ultimate trick question. No matter how straight forward and simple they seem, the answer is never what you think it is.
#79lambchipsPosted 11/21/2012 4:26:58 AM(edited)
PHOENIXZERO posted...

$400 will probably get you something slightly more powerful than the wiiu (which isnt that strong to begin with)
^ im talking consoles here and not pc

a $400 console might have the specs of a $600 pc (which is nothing... because most retail pcs are more powerful than that)

---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#80PHOENIXZEROPosted 11/21/2012 9:31:23 PM
lambchips posted...
PHOENIXZERO posted...

$400 will probably get you something slightly more powerful than the wiiu (which isnt that strong to begin with)
^ im talking consoles here and not pc

a $400 console might have the specs of a $600 pc (which is nothing... because most retail pcs are more powerful than that)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all enthusiastic on the rumored hardware going to be in the PS4 and next Xbox (especially the rumored POS GPU) but the idea that they need to produce a console that can match up to high end gaming PCs is ridiculous. If the BOM for the PS4 is $400 (not counting outside costs from R&D, packaging, marketing, shipping, ect) that would be significantly higher than the supposed costs for the WiiU which is based off three year old (or older) hardware.. Nintendo's "losses" are next to nothing on the WiiU at the prices they're selling it for, they're making it it made up and then some at launch unless you don't buy any games or accessories.

The final tech in MS and Sony's consoles is likely going to be a lot more expensive, recent and powerful. Their $400 can produce better hardware than what you can with $600 and you CAN build a PC for $600 that would run laps around what the WiiU can do. For $600 you can still build a PC at this point that would be able to run most recent games on high settings at 1080p at 60FPS. Never mind the optimization benefits that consoles have being a closed platform with a lot less resource overhead.

Of course this is all out the window if the PS4's GPU really ends up only being a 7670 (re-badged 6670) and there won't be a much better GPU in place. But it's more likely just part of the APU and there will be a proper GPU with a Cross-Fire type set up because there's no way in hell they could meet the supposed goal of 1080p@60 in 3D with just a 7670 because there's no amount of optimizing that would make up for its lack of "umpf". That said, if the next gen hardware though does turn out to be crap I have no problem just sticking with the PC I built a year and a half ago and upgrading my GPU and whatever else. >_> The only thing I'd even consider would be exclusives and would certainly be in no rush, then again it took me three years to get a PS3 and my PC then was absolute s***.
---