This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why Japan suck this generation?

#11GeminiX7Posted 11/17/2012 1:08:56 PM
AnthonM2 posted...
Most of the games i own now are western, especially racing games, games like Split/Second and MotorStorm: Apocalypse are better than any Japanese racing game, what happened to Japan this generation?

A shift in your preferences, as well as sweeping generalizations.

Also, I feel many of the big Japanese companies, namely Square, care less and less about the quality of the games they produce and more about fanservice and checking off a list of JRPG stereotypes and tropes then pushing the product out the door.
---
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
#12SayoriaPosted 11/17/2012 1:10:42 PM
HakaiVeil posted...
TheCyborgNinja posted...
I wouldn't say Japanese games suck this generation, but they have clearly been surpassed by the West for the first time. I think the problem is more financial than anything. As gaming becomes mainstream, it's just another cog in the entertainment industry. Compare movie budgets in the US to ones in Japan. There is a massive gap. With movies, it's not as big a deal though, because a good writer/director can get a lot of mileage out of his/her resources. The same can not be said for console video games. A lower budget either means the game is lacking content or poorly made (comparatively), unless it's for iOS and costs $1.

What is sadly comical here is, I've found more things to do in "low budget" titles than I have in the big AAA games.

You and me both, but the thing is, most (not ALL) of the AAA games strike for graphics and then the replayability through the multiplayer, and with that, other stuff outside of that sits on the backburner uncooked.

I mean, Uncharted 2. I LIKED the game, but it got far more acclaim than I thought it deserved. Not too much to do in that game outside of the online and the unlockables which really IMO wasn't worth it. The game was pushing you ahead with no freedom really.

Then you have Tales of Graces F where you can still learn thousands of titles, Zhonecage, F Arc, the Cats to find, the Gentleman quest, riot peak, locked chests, the completionist books and more.
---
Sailor Moon returns 2013! O_o
#13kuterPosted 11/17/2012 1:11:57 PM
Most of their best game doesn't go out of their country.
#14HakaiVeilPosted 11/17/2012 1:12:08 PM
GeminiX7 posted...

Also, I feel many of the big Japanese companies, namely Square, care less and less about the quality of the games they produce and more about fanservice and checking off a list of JRPG stereotypes and tropes then pushing the product out the door.

This is true.

We've lost the ability to be creative and push our imaginations.

Why have we not had a proper steampunk "j"RPG lately? Space pirate? SOMETHING with this thing called STYLE?

Anything...? Nope. Just copy-paste animu games. Thanks NIS.
#15Still__RippinPosted 11/17/2012 1:13:31 PM
HakaiVeil posted...
GeminiX7 posted...

This is true.

We've lost the ability to be creative and push our imaginations.

Why have we not had a proper steampunk "j"RPG lately? Space pirate? SOMETHING with this thing called STYLE?

Anything...? Nope. Just copy-paste animu games. Thanks NIS.

At least someone else can see it.
---
Regardless of how many people call me a troll I always speak the truth.
Currently playing- Magic 2013, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Black Ops 2, Demons Souls