This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are your thoughts about review score numbers?

#1zemzeroPosted 11/17/2012 3:59:58 PM
I never once took review scores into account of how good the game actually was until I started lurking here. Like osmosis, I fell into the hype of review scores. Becoming confused that a game received a 7 and thinking it wasn't worth playing...but I knew, deep down inside, that it was.

Is Nier worth playing? Yes. Is it worth obsessing over and putting hours at a time into it? Not really.

If a game receives a 5, what does it mean?

If a 5/10 is an unplayable, bug ridden mess of a game that has no plot and it seems to have been written by a high school emo english lit failure...then what the hell does a 2/10 mean?

We all need to remember that critics are just normal people. Ever have that cousin who always came up with the "best" ideas ever and in reality you knew they were complete s***? Those are the guys reviewing games (and unfortunately the ones developing these new games...), creating these impossible standards that don't quite really matter. They aren't connoisseur of video games. They aren't to be trusted.

Also, does anyone else feel like we, as a general gaming populace, are getting our standards mixed up? Everything needs to be ultra HD, realistic and explainable. Too literal, not enough loosey goosey fun time action adventure stuff. It's all, real, dark and gloomy. Why?

TLDR - What does a 5/10 or a 7/10 game score mean to you?
#2HakaiVeilPosted 11/17/2012 4:02:44 PM
"Also, does anyone else feel like we, as a general gaming populace, are getting our standards mixed up? Everything needs to be ultra HD, realistic and explainable. Too literal, not enough loosey goosey fun time action adventure stuff. It's all, real, dark and gloomy. Why?"

Yes. Which is why I love Nintendo. They put out GAMES, not this movie-esque BS.

As for scores, 5 should be baseline. A decent game. Anything lower should be increasingly unplayable.

Godhand being a 3? The biggest mistake in reviewing history. Because Godhand was a great beat'em up that was very playable. So why the 3 out of 10.
#3omescythePosted 11/17/2012 4:06:56 PM
a review score is just how much that person liked a game and nothing more. it has very little to do with the reality of how good a game actually is.
#4archizzyPosted 11/17/2012 4:07:08 PM
Scores are arbitrary numbers.

I enjoy video reviews to see gameplay, menus, mechanics and so on. I like hearing things on a technical nature like screen tearing, glitches, extreme slowdown, pop in, and that stuff.

What I don't care about is the persons opinion on voice acting, music, replay value, or fun. They are just one person and often have very different opinions than myself.

I find those parts of the review just as arbitrary as the number connected with it.

I have been gaming over 30 years and know what I will like or not like by a simple game play video and knowing the gist of the game. A number has never changed that or even registered in my thought process and it never will.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#5CyricsServantPosted 11/17/2012 4:09:55 PM
zemzero posted...
If a 5/10 is an unplayable, bug ridden mess of a game that has no plot and it seems to have been written by a high school emo english lit failure...then what the hell does a 2/10 mean?

That the game is an unplayable, bug ridden mess of a game that has no plot and it seems to have been written by a high school emo english lit failure . . . and the publisher never advertised on the reviewer's website.
#6cavebear56Posted 11/17/2012 4:29:02 PM
The numerical aspect is nothing more than fuel for fanboy wars.

The written review is most important, but many just gloss over that, as it shows the actual opinion on the game by the reviewer.

Though what people forget is reviewer's are just as bias as normal people, so we get parrots who never play a game but decide to slam it because someone at some site/magazine/business said something similar.

TL;DR

Scores can be "fun" but are useless as actual tools to judge a game's worth.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#7NicodimusPosted 11/17/2012 4:30:58 PM
They're pretty meaningless. You can't quantify something that is completely subjective. I don't know why people try.
---
PSN #1: Nicodimus - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Kaylee (Fighter)
PSN #2: Nicodimus222 - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Mina (Mage)
#8BokuxPicoPosted 11/17/2012 4:32:08 PM
People focus too much on some number instead of paying attention to the actual review because they're lazy.
#9MourningReignsPosted 11/17/2012 4:34:07 PM
Nicodimus posted...
They're pretty meaningless. You can't quantify something that is completely subjective. I don't know why people try.

You can quantify poor mechanics, design, story, textures, and more. Throw in problems with frame rate, glitches, and more.

Reviews aren't useless and are helpful to many people, just not to people that will play any piece of crap and call it gold.
---
I finally won a mod dispute. Too bad it got overturned a day after my suspension ended.
#10RagnoraokPosted 11/17/2012 4:36:57 PM
CyricsServant posted...
zemzero posted...

That the game is an unplayable, bug ridden mess of a game that has no plot and it seems to have been written by a high school emo english lit failure . . . and the publisher never advertised on the reviewer's website.

by this defintion, Syrim should have been a 2/10, but somehow it got 8-9/10 o most sites.

It depends where you get your reviews from. Stay away from big reviewers like Ign. the same reviewers that gave MVC3 a 7.5, even though it was a barenones poorly balanced game, while King Of Fighters got a 7, a more balanced game, because the final boss was cheap. -_-

A single review is useless, but a lot of reviews are undoubtalby useful, especially if you know what you are looking for in a game.
---
PSN: RichYungThaBest
"What's the point" "There is no point" "Ahh, That's the point"