This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New rumors about PS4

#41PredwolfPosted 11/19/2012 6:34:22 AM
jacobfilyaw22 posted...
PSM3 magazine had these rumors about the PS4....

The next console will not be called PlayStation 4, the number 4 in Japan is pronounced "shi", meaning death. Many buildings in Japan have no 4th floor and room number 4 due to the same reason
The codename for the console is Orbis, which could perhaps be part of the final name
PS4 titles will look like high-end PC demos you found in Watchdogs, Star Wars 1313 or Square Enix's Luminous tech demo
PS4 demos will be shown by Sony at E3 2013
PS4 games will not run in 4K or Ultra HD resolution, it will probably be used only for videos
The default resolution will be 1080p at 60fps
PS4 will not support used games, games need to be registered to PSN account
There will be a protection scheme in the system, in the form of online pass or something similar

PS4 will have around 4GB to 8GB memory - if the next Xbox system has 8GB memory, Sony would be put under pressure to have 8GB
PS4 will have 16GB flash memory
PS4 will not be backward compatible with PS3 games
PlayStation Plus will be an important pillar of the PS4
PS4 will be shipped with PS Move controller and camera
Classic games will be available via Cloud gaming, powered by Gaikai
PS4 will run on quad-core AMD processor code name Liverpool, produced in a 28nm process
The price will be around 400 - 500

My main concerns are the ones about the used games, flash storage, and the price. 500 to 600 dollars. I thought Sony learned from what happened with the PS3! No HDD? 16 GB flash memory? My HDD stays full. That's not enough

Any thoughts?

My thoughts: Everything in bold is 100% BS.

I'm willing to bet that the PS4 will ship with 4-8gigs of RAM, a 500gig HD, a multi-core processo that may be based on some common PC tech, but modified in-house. It will probably have PS1 emulation, but won't support PS3 games. Launch price will be around $500-$650, the higher end model haing more HD space and maybe Move with a next-gen PSEye.
#42darkstar4221Posted 11/19/2012 7:06:26 AM(edited)
Predwolf posted...
I'm willing to bet that the PS4 will ship with 4-8gigs of RAM, a 500gig HD, a multi-core processo that may be based on some common PC tech, but modified in-house. It will probably have PS1 emulation, but won't support PS3 games. Launch price will be around $500-$650, the higher end model haing more HD space and maybe Move with a next-gen PSEye.

If it's going to have PS1 emulation might as well have PS2 emulation as well. I don't mind paying an extra $100 for PS3 BC compatibility. It would have been convenient if Sony didn't remove PS2 BC on the PS3. I think it will cost $450 at the highest. Sony is using an AMD processor, so they are cutting down costs.

No matter what the specs are, I expect the hackers to really get at this system. I really do hope it gets hacked to death.
#43HardcoreFtwPosted 11/19/2012 7:01:37 AM
jacobfilyaw22 posted...
PS4 will run on quad-core AMD processor code name Liverpool, produced in a 28nm process

Dammit.. I hate AMD.. It a crappy processor for gaming.. Well at least on PC
---
drink Russian, drive German, wear Italian.
#44PredwolfPosted 11/19/2012 7:04:19 AM
darkstar4221 posted...
Predwolf posted...

If it's going to have PS1 emulation might as well have PS2 emulation as well. I don't mind paying an extra $100 for PS3 BC compatibility. It would have been convenient if Sony didn't remove PS2 BC on the PS3. I think it will cost $450 at the highest. Sony is using an AMD processor, so they are cutting down costs.

No matter what the specs are, I expect the hackers to really get at this system. I really do hope it gets hacked to death.

I'd like to see PS2 emulation in it, but they took it out of the PS3 after they realized they couldn't support every single game. Maybe things will be different in the PS4, who knows?

I'd also like to say that I'm betting the CPU will be a new version of the Cell, with many, many more cores so that it can handle lots of datastreams at once. The GPU, eh, it will probably be something a year or two "old" by the time the console launches, but because it's being used in a spec-system, it will be able to be driven much harder than it would in a PC. Thus. it should be good for amazing visuals for a generation, but probably will suffer with augmented reality games and apps that come out for the system down the line (since that seems to be the future)

I really don't want to see the next generation turn into a huge graphics war again, because the gameplay suffers as a result. I'd be quite content with the graphics we see in Ground Zeroes (and that was on PS3/360 spec hardware!), just with more stuff thrown in at once. More grass, bushes, complicated AI patterns and world cycles (Day/night, weather, footprints and terrain that can be damaged and stay that way!), the works. Less focus on getting a box that nobody will spend time looking at to a stupid resolution when it already looks fine, more attention to being able to deform/blow up that box and have AI soldiers recognize that and act accordingly.

You know?