This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS3 officially is a last gen console

#191methosagainPosted 11/18/2012 10:17:49 AM
SoaringDive posted...
Why the heck is "HD race" a thing? HD is a resolution, not some magical mind blowing concept. Please, if you're going to talk about, well, anything, make sure you have a clue at what anything is.

Anyways, the console has 4 times the RAM as the ps3 and 360, which means Skyrim could actually be playable on the console (unlike PS3 and 360 versions of the game). Bad ports of bad games (ME3 and NG) do not show what the console is capable of - that's like using Sonic '06 to show how the PS3 and 360 suck.

Ehhh, so I wasn't playing Skyrim earlier today on my 360?
#192LazyyAmericanPosted 11/18/2012 10:58:11 AM(edited)
I've already been in next gen months ago since I purchased a 7970
---
Quite the dilemma....to coexist in a world that ostracizes you into obscurity
#193hotgamerPosted 11/18/2012 11:06:14 AM
AgitoXIII posted...
Evel138 posted...
Of all the things to argue about..............

You can't arbitrarily decide what generation a console belongs to based on processing power. Maybe if there was some standard that had to be adhered to, but no such standard exists in any form.

Since the days of the 2600, every generation has produced consoles of varying "power". If we're to go by the logic of some itt, then there could only be one console (the one with the most "power") in any given gen that could be considered "next gen"........everything else.......steam powered.

This isn't quantum mechanics people....there really isn't anything to wrap your heads around. a console generation is quite simply a period of time. A period of time in which all the current makers, offer the current model. A sales cycle.

Well said!

I do wonder tho if the PS4/720 do make big jumps in graphics will devs be quicker to take advantage of WiiU's lesser power, or theirs? We didn't see devs take advantage of cheaper production costs for Wii as oppose to the other systems to make AAA games.

A lot of devs says they're already limited with PS3/360. I assume they will go for PS4/720, which will give a far better boost in power, rather than the WiiU who is equivalent to PS3 and 360 in term of power. If they're limited by the first 2, going to the WiiU would still put them in the same position.
---
Trying to contain the chaos is futile.
#194chiefofsb78Posted 11/18/2012 11:08:17 AM
LazyyAmerican posted...
I've already been in next gen months ago since I purchased a 7970

good luck trying to get that inside a console if you cant you can throw it inside a bulky PC
#195sandslash1Posted 11/18/2012 11:13:28 AM
i remember when i was 12
---
a
#196LygoPosted 11/18/2012 11:21:34 AM
I feel that it's like any other day.
#197bigdaddydmacPosted 11/18/2012 11:31:05 AM
OK, then Wii U will be considered last gen after the ps4/720 launch. Seriously, I played a demo kiosk last night and wasn't blown away like anything truly next gen should've done. The graphics on NSMB were quite grainy. The launch library is pathetic. Nintendo is still ten years behind in tech. I still prowdly call every system I own current gen, and have no plans for a Pii U. Nintendo will launch their true next gen console after they drop the U like a Downs syndrome baby, right before the launch of ps5/xbox1440. I'll bet my manhood it'll be underpowered overpriced last gen tech again.
---
psn:BigDaddyD-Mac
"Before society can move forward, we all must agree upon the rules! Now Kneel!" -Galvatron
#198osboesPosted 11/18/2012 11:39:58 AM
PS3 is now officially a last gen console. Doesn't really feel like it for me personally. Heck any consoles I'm currently playing without upgrading feels like current gen. If I was stuck with last gens PS2 to this very day, the PS3 would still feel next gen to me. It kinda depends on what sort of time warp I'm still in. At this moment PS3 still feels current gen, and WiiU next gen because I haven't made the jump. Does that make any sense? Perhaps I'm just loopy but that's my mind's perception on it.
#199ZombiDeadZombiPosted 11/18/2012 11:41:55 AM
bigdaddydmac posted...
OK, then Wii U will be considered last gen after the ps4/720 launch. Seriously, I played a demo kiosk last night and wasn't blown away like anything truly next gen should've done. The graphics on NSMB were quite grainy. The launch library is pathetic. Nintendo is still ten years behind in tech. I still prowdly call every system I own current gen, and have no plans for a Pii U. Nintendo will launch their true next gen console after they drop the U like a Downs syndrome baby, right before the launch of ps5/xbox1440. I'll bet my manhood it'll be underpowered overpriced last gen tech again.

What you and other people are not understanding is that tech, graphics, and horsepower, are NOT what defines a consoles generation.

WiiU by the very defionition is a nextgen console, and PS3/360 are last gen. When the new PlayStation and Xbox come out, they will still be next gen along with the WiiU, not next next gen.

Why are people having such a hard time grasping this concept?
#200DavCubePosted 11/18/2012 11:42:20 AM
I don't even care anymore, i just bought a friggin' Dreamcast for the lulz, screw all the gen-jargon.
---
http://backloggery.com/davcube