This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS3 officially is a last gen console

#201king_maddenPosted 11/18/2012 11:29:51 AM
ZombiDeadZombi posted...
bigdaddydmac posted...
OK, then Wii U will be considered last gen after the ps4/720 launch. Seriously, I played a demo kiosk last night and wasn't blown away like anything truly next gen should've done. The graphics on NSMB were quite grainy. The launch library is pathetic. Nintendo is still ten years behind in tech. I still prowdly call every system I own current gen, and have no plans for a Pii U. Nintendo will launch their true next gen console after they drop the U like a Downs syndrome baby, right before the launch of ps5/xbox1440. I'll bet my manhood it'll be underpowered overpriced last gen tech again.

What you and other people are not understanding is that tech, graphics, and horsepower, are NOT what defines a consoles generation.

WiiU by the very defionition is a nextgen console, and PS3/360 are last gen. When the new PlayStation and Xbox come out, they will still be next gen along with the WiiU, not next next gen.

Why are people having such a hard time grasping this concept?

i dont think next gen refers to just time period though. next gen usually refers to the next step up. wii-u is supposed to be a slight step up, but when the next consoles come out they will be above the wii-u. I dont think it would be fair to compare the 3 after sony and MS will have a chance see what it can do and go above it.
#202badboyPosted 11/18/2012 11:30:12 AM
10 year old technology = next gen?
#203Bleach313Posted 11/18/2012 11:31:51 AM
hotgamer posted...
AgitoXIII posted...
Evel138 posted...
Of all the things to argue about..............

You can't arbitrarily decide what generation a console belongs to based on processing power. Maybe if there was some standard that had to be adhered to, but no such standard exists in any form.

Since the days of the 2600, every generation has produced consoles of varying "power". If we're to go by the logic of some itt, then there could only be one console (the one with the most "power") in any given gen that could be considered "next gen"........everything else.......steam powered.

This isn't quantum mechanics people....there really isn't anything to wrap your heads around. a console generation is quite simply a period of time. A period of time in which all the current makers, offer the current model. A sales cycle.

Well said!

I do wonder tho if the PS4/720 do make big jumps in graphics will devs be quicker to take advantage of WiiU's lesser power, or theirs? We didn't see devs take advantage of cheaper production costs for Wii as oppose to the other systems to make AAA games.

A lot of devs says they're already limited with PS3/360. I assume they will go for PS4/720, which will give a far better boost in power, rather than the WiiU who is equivalent to PS3 and 360 in term of power. If they're limited by the first 2, going to the WiiU would still put them in the same position.

If devs were just limited by the PS3 and 360's graphical power, then they're gonna be 10x limited with Wii U's control scheme. Just look at Batman Arkham City for Wii U. It's the same exact game but they had to mess with the Wii U controls just to make it stand out. It's the same exact game as the 360 and PS3 but you can just use gadgets from the controller.

Me personally I can't see many devs going for the Wii U ONLY because of it's controls. Graphics are one thing, but making games with a controller like that I can just see a problem with. Still who knows maybe devs will find some awesome things to do with it in the future.
#204ArdusPosted 11/18/2012 11:48:03 AM
ZEXE posted...
I feel the Wii-U isn't really a next gen console, the Wii was half a gen and the Wii-U is current gen

Quoted for truth.
Nintendo finally has a system that can play current gen ports without looking like complete garbage. That doesn't mean that the next gen has begun.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#205ZombiDeadZombiPosted 11/18/2012 11:55:40 AM
king_madden posted...
ZombiDeadZombi posted...
bigdaddydmac posted...
OK, then Wii U will be considered last gen after the ps4/720 launch. Seriously, I played a demo kiosk last night and wasn't blown away like anything truly next gen should've done. The graphics on NSMB were quite grainy. The launch library is pathetic. Nintendo is still ten years behind in tech. I still prowdly call every system I own current gen, and have no plans for a Pii U. Nintendo will launch their true next gen console after they drop the U like a Downs syndrome baby, right before the launch of ps5/xbox1440. I'll bet my manhood it'll be underpowered overpriced last gen tech again.

What you and other people are not understanding is that tech, graphics, and horsepower, are NOT what defines a consoles generation.

WiiU by the very defionition is a nextgen console, and PS3/360 are last gen. When the new PlayStation and Xbox come out, they will still be next gen along with the WiiU, not next next gen.

Why are people having such a hard time grasping this concept?

i dont think next gen refers to just time period though. next gen usually refers to the next step up. wii-u is supposed to be a slight step up, but when the next consoles come out they will be above the wii-u. I dont think it would be fair to compare the 3 after sony and MS will have a chance see what it can do and go above it.

Again, what you think and what actually is are two completely different things

For the last 8 gens, a generation has been the time era of when a console came out, it was never, and never will be about the tech or the graphics, and has never referred to "the next step up".

As was said earlier, if that's the case, then the PS2 was last gen console when the original Xbox came out.

There is no point in arguing this because you will be wrong.
#206RedemptionBluePosted 11/18/2012 12:13:06 PM
The true next gen would be virtual reality....but first you would have to figure out how to develop the Nerve Gear and how to make it so players can log out (cookie to anyone who gets the reference).
---
Intel Core i7 2.8Ghz, 6 gigs RAM, NVIDIA Geforce GTS 450.
#207AalviPosted 11/18/2012 12:16:00 PM
RedemptionBlue posted...
The true next gen would be virtual reality....but first you would have to figure out how to develop the Nerve Gear and how to make it so players can log out (cookie to anyone who gets the reference).

SAO
---
Check out my backlog: http://backloggery.com/aalvi
PSN ID: Aalvi-S|http://psnprofiles.com/Aalvi-S|3DS FC in Profile
#208ManuKesnaPosted 11/18/2012 12:16:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/44F0Q.png

D:
---
PSN: Manu-Kesna
GT: ManuKesna
#209EVILESTIZUMIPosted 11/18/2012 12:16:47 PM
No, Nintendo is just catching up, they finally released their current gen console, you know i'm right.
---
PKMNDiamond: KURONO- FC:0387 5358 6019 JUS FC:2835-6906-6025
MMSFDragon FC:0258-8321-8459 MMSFNinja FC:1075-2242-8934
#210mwjohnson5Posted 11/18/2012 12:45:10 PM
Compared to pc all gamings systems are last gen. I came back to ps3 and xbox after a year of gaming on pc and I couldn't believe how crappy the graphics looked.
---
The realdeal aka theman