This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hitman: Absolution scores start popping up

#31TomorrowDogPosted 11/18/2012 10:41:42 AM
Ew, an 8 out of 10.

I'm going to hold my nose when I walk by this game in the store.
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
#32Klobzi(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 10:49:42 AM
KevoCSCS posted...
Here is a fun little historical fact.

None of the Hitman games have EVER received universal acclaim. The score for Hitman Absolution is consistent with the scores for the rest of the series.

The Hitman games are for those with a particular taste, not everyone enjoys them.

Yup, if you check Gamerankings Blood Money, the game that everyone and their mother praises, ''only'' has a score of 82.
It does seem like Absolution is on track on beating that score overall.
#33shawnmckPosted 11/18/2012 10:59:35 AM
I think another part of the reason is that many gamers simply adhere to a particular style and when future installments deviate from that style then they get raked over the coals.

Lets take Castlevania: Lords of Shadow for an example....
It is an awesome game and is a great Castlevania game, and likewise scored a 7.5 or below among a lot of Review sites.
And yet people hate it not because it was a bad game, but because it was nothing like their beloved & much idolized Symphony of the Night.

And we see this with the complaints by people claiming that Absolution is nothing like Blood Money.
Even though Absolution does a lot of really good & innovative things, it simply does not matter to some people because like a previous poster mentioned...what they really wanted was Blood Money 2.

Just like Castlevania: LoS gets hated because what some people wanted was SotN 2.
So it boils down to expectations, and whether those expectations were met. It doesn't matter that the game is good on its own merits, but if it doesn't fit with expectations then it gets trashed.
And you see this exact same phenomenon with other games as well.
#34RollingCradlePosted 11/18/2012 11:03:32 AM
I guess I'll skip this one for now, it'll be $20 in no time anyway.
#35shawnmckPosted 11/18/2012 11:22:06 AM(edited)
BTW
IGN's Review is out, and it is a great Review.
Not because it scored the game a 9, but because the reviewer lays out exactly why it is deserving of that score and why it is better than previous installments (including Blood money).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/18/hitman-absolution-review

I also like the way the review sets in to explain and remedy all of the problems that the other Reviewers complain about...
Such as Difficulty...other reviews complained that the enemy ai is dumb...but according to this review the enemy ai is only dumb in easy & somewhat dumb in normal. Play in Hard or Purist and the ai is much better.
So the reviewer actually took the time to play on different difficulty settings.

Another thing explained was the disguise feature...
The negative reviews simply call it broken...but in this review it claims that the disguise system, while not perfect, will change according to the situation...
For example, when donning a disguise of a mechanic, it makes sense that the other mechanics (if grouped) might not recognize you and be suspicious (after all, you are supposed to be a mechanic from the same place, right...but if you don the disguise of a police officer, then you don't raise as much suspicion, but this makes sense because there are so many precincts so it would not be odd if police do not recognize you.

Overall its a great Review that is very descriptive and actually offers plenty of reasoning to explain the score.
"9"