This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Truly Depressing games? *no spoilers please*

#71Ebb1993Posted 11/19/2012 9:04:55 AM
The fact that R-Type is the most depressing shooter series I've ever played made me want to denounce it and go for Gradius instead, which is arguably much better than R-Type.
#72LimblessQuasarPosted 11/19/2012 9:07:37 AM
Dark/Demon's Souls have very brooding atmospheres. Not what I would call depressing really, but definitely very dark. And there are some moments in Demon's Souls that tugged a bit, and those were very well done Imo.

Nier also, it's kind of just one those games that makes you wonder how they ever got funding for it. A gem for anyone looking for some alternative/tragedy/depression.

For PS2, check out Ico/SotC (they also have that HD collection), Ico is beautiful in a sad way, SotC is mostly just sad. Both of these are highly abstract though, so maybe not your thing.

I wish I had some original suggestions, but atm I can't think of any games that have moved me much. Off to go find me a copy of Terranigma I guess...
---
Its only like 70 years away. By then, ill just be hitting my stride. Like the PS3. - Skul_
#73TehTrumpCardPosted 11/19/2012 9:08:10 AM
Clannad. Pick any route except maybe Ryou's and that random guy character that's only in the game.

Air. The main route.

Mega Man X4. What am I fighting for!!!!!!!!!!!
---
"Set your dreams high, and make them come true. You can aim higher than this, much higher!"
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN: TehTrumpCard n ReimuHakure-
#74SpurnerPosted 11/19/2012 9:08:36 AM
Although it has been so many years I cannot remember the story, I do remember reaching a certain point in Secret of Mana that really bummed me out.

Also, I'm kind of surprised nobody has mentioned a certain scene in FF7. There was a time that was like the default answer for this type of question. I guess time heals all back wounds.
#75Firaxis5050Posted 11/19/2012 9:09:08 AM
DocDelicious posted...
Journey

Simultaneously the most heart-warming and depressing game of all time.

---
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear- not the absence of it." - Mark Twain
PSN ID: F33R_K1LL5
#76redskinStuPosted 11/19/2012 9:13:12 AM
The first Silent Hill game, especially "The Evil Hospital," etc.
#77StealthlysPosted 11/19/2012 9:22:05 AM
Spurner posted...
Although it has been so many years I cannot remember the story, I do remember reaching a certain point in Secret of Mana that really bummed me out.

Also, I'm kind of surprised nobody has mentioned a certain scene in FF7. There was a time that was like the default answer for this type of question. I guess time heals all back wounds.

Or new games come out, that are depressing, and we stop playing in the 90s.
#78ZopharothPosted 11/19/2012 9:23:10 AM
I have to echo The Walking Dead--one of my favorite games this year. Mass Effect 3 also comes to mind, and to be clear, it's not because the ending is bad (and IMO it's not as bad as people say).
---
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish and feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard. - Ron Swanson
#79OniPiperPosted 11/19/2012 9:34:25 AM
Telltale's The Walking Dead game is pretty depressing at times. Only four of the five episodes have been released so far for download, but there is a disc version being released in December with all five episodes included if you prefer a physical copy.
#80Gam3r777Posted 11/19/2012 9:37:12 AM
Limbo. A complete waste of $15 if you ask me.