This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Has this console generation made you cautious of being an early adopter?

#1ateballPosted 11/20/2012 1:32:24 AM
Maybe more so than any other console generation, this one has definitely been an era of some generally shoddy hardware: 360's with the red ring, PS3's with the YLOD, etc.

Though it isn't limited to just the early batches of these consoles and not everyone has been affected, there's no denying that these models had some major problems that were eventually corrected with future models.

With that said, do you think any of this will make you cautious about buying a early generation model of your preferred console?

IMO, this is a huge dilemma: of course a new generation of hardware brings massive excitement but after paying top dollar for a new console only to have it being a well documented possibility that it could die out on you at anytime kind of makes me weary. I doubt this problem will just disappear next generation either; as technology gets better and high end specs become essential to these future generations, manufacturers are always going to try and find ways to cut corners and make prices more appealing to the consumer. An added incentive to this is that alot of people will just suck it up and go out and buy another if they want it bad enough, as this generation has clearly proven. (hell, my household by itself has had a total of 7 different 360's between myself, brother and sister. Only 3 are currently working)
---
Now Playing: AC3, NBA2K13, WWE 13
PSN: 96VTECGSR XBL: KrimZon281
#2thesnoopmeisterPosted 11/20/2012 1:39:06 AM
Hell no.
---
PSN - thesnoopmeister
Need help with account deletion - experts feel free to msg me assistance
#3ateball(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2012 1:40:02 AM
thesnoopmeister posted...
Hell no.

Ha easy enough
---
Now Playing: AC3, NBA2K13, WWE 13
PSN: 96VTECGSR XBL: KrimZon281
#4yarrmateysPosted 11/20/2012 1:51:05 AM
early adopter, beta tester
---
--
-
#5rofflchopperPosted 11/20/2012 2:02:45 AM
Yes.
The PS3 didn't have any good games for the first couple of years so I will probably wait until there are games I want on the PS4. Same goes for the 720, but I imagine they will carry over Halo which is really the only exclusive I care about.

I'm split on the 720 though. I really enjoyed it, but the RRoD was a turn off. I've only had one fail on me, but I know several people have had multiple. But since mine was fixed under warranty I can't really complain. So unless the games at launch are mind blowing and I can't resist, I will probably wait on that too. Mainly because there might be a bundle or model later on that might be more reliable and/or cheaper.
---
Dear Society, Please stop calling Justin Bieber gay. We don't want him either.
Sincerely, Homosexuals.
#6KnaaksPosted 11/20/2012 2:36:31 AM
After owning all the systems since the NES and Master System gen, I think I am finally done buying all the systems every generation. With how little my Wii was played, and how many times I had to send in my 360 for repairs (five) I am just going to ignore Nintendo and Microsoft next gen. If any games come out that I desperately want to play, I'll just play them at a friends house, or wait till the systems are under 200 bucks and pick them up. I'll probably pick up a PS4 when it comes out at full price though, I never had any bad experiences with my Playstation systems.
---
"Dammit! My job took taxes out again. Why can't they just pay me in points like Microsoft!"
#7MadDewgPosted 11/20/2012 7:52:29 AM(edited)
A console from microsoft or sony, hell yeah. A console from nintendo or if they were still in the console market sega, nah.
---
GTag:MadDogg730 PSN:lMadDogg Playin' bayonetta, dungeon fighter live, gears of war 3, tales of graces, borderlands, dust: an elysian tail.
#8snellaiappanPosted 11/20/2012 7:59:33 AM
absolutely. got a rrod on my halo 3 special edition 360 and got a ylod on my 60gb. there is no way in hell i am shelling out money any time soon for the next gen.
---
If i am not back in 5 minutes... just wait longer.
#9IroncondorzPosted 11/20/2012 8:00:27 AM
No, the N64 and then the Dreamcast made me do that (I do still like those systems).

Any early adopter should pick up a good service plan or at least use a CC that extends the warranty.
---
GameFAQs it's like fantasy football, only with games and consoles.
Support: Rising Star Games and Akai Katana (Cave)
#10JurassicBondPosted 11/20/2012 8:02:59 AM
The only console I've gotten at launch was the 3DS which had a price drop only a few months later, so yes. Although at least for the 3DS, I got the Ambassador games as compensation.
---
Reading: Shame- Salman Rushdie
http://i.imgur.com/AUbFA.jpg http://i.imgur.com/nYklT.jpg