This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS3 Slim vs PS3 Original (Better graphics!?)

#1robinoyoPosted 11/20/2012 4:19:33 AM
So, my friend here says that the PS3 Slim has a better graphics card, processor than the original PS3. Same for Xbox 360 slim and normal 360. I am 100% sure he is wrong, but he is very confident of his "facts" as well. He says games can look better on Slim vs normal etc. But the only differences between the slim versions are things like design, HDD memory, energy suffiency etc. Can you guys convince him?
---
Creator of Uncharted 3: Top 10 Plays on Uncharted TV
Youtube: RobinGaming PSN: robinoyo
#2revenginePosted 11/20/2012 4:26:07 AM
The whole point of a console is for the specs to remain static during its entire lifespan. Upgrading the gpu chip defeats the purpose. What would run on the newer models would not work on the older ones.

As it is, even with the design changes from the older models to the slim ones, ND experienced a problem with getting Uncharted 3 to run on older PS3s, there was some last minute bug fixing before it shipped. This had nothing to do with newer vs. older cpu or gpu, I think it had something to do with the design of the mobo and the components.
---
"It would be the stupid comment about the a-bombs that the US dropped on Japan that is offensive."
#3lambchipsPosted 11/20/2012 4:58:31 AM
might be harddrive.... the phat has a 5200rpm hdd (i think), if the slim has 7200rpm textures may load faster
^ ssd loads textures the fastest
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#4ElktheHeroPosted 11/21/2012 7:06:39 PM
the very old ps3 models that still had the emulation functionality for other PS discs had more vibrant colors that popped out. For two or three years after that the PS3 models seemed to lack that oomph that put them over the top even running the same games. Once the 45nm chips came out it seemed to put the graphics back to the original models graphics wise (but with obviously better cooling).

Now to compare to 360....Uncharted 2 and 3 is all I have to say. If I wanted to say more I'd add in Killzone 2 or 3, even years after launch this game was as gorgeous as any PC equivalent which says a LOT.