This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do Japanese games always turn their protagonists into kids in their sequels?

#21fallenswordsPosted 11/20/2012 8:43:37 AM
what about FF4 where the protagonist is old as s*** in the sequel...
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 8/28/2011 10:09:48 AM: http://bit.ly/jJ2ZNS
Katawa Shoujo changed my life. http://katawa-shoujo.com/
#22Large_TonberryPosted 11/20/2012 9:05:46 AM(edited)
sirtonne posted...
Also, the ages games are targeted at is irrelevant to my post. It would still suggest that a teen Japanese who likes Final Fantasy is likely more mature than a teen American who looks at it and says "that looks 2 gey!", out of insecurity for what others will think of them, and then they get the latest CoD or whatever. That is a generalisation, but the underlying attitude is true for the majority.

So the "majority" of American teenagers' insecurities dictate their gaming tastes, but not for the Japanese? That's why they have stuff like the different versions of Nier, I guess. Seems pretty biased to suggest that one nationality of people are inherently more "mature" than another based on their gaming tastes.
#23sirtonnePosted 11/20/2012 9:46:02 AM
Large_Tonberry posted...
sirtonne posted...
Also, the ages games are targeted at is irrelevant to my post. It would still suggest that a teen Japanese who likes Final Fantasy is likely more mature than a teen American who looks at it and says "that looks 2 gey!", out of insecurity for what others will think of them, and then they get the latest CoD or whatever. That is a generalisation, but the underlying attitude is true for the majority.

So the "majority" of American teenagers' insecurities dictate their gaming tastes, but not for the Japanese? That's why they have stuff like the different versions of Nier, I guess. Seems pretty biased to suggest that one nationality of people are inherently more "mature" than another based on their gaming tastes.

Not based on gaming tastes, just reflected in them.

I'm a white westerner, not Japanese, and happy with who I am, so I'm not being biased in saying they're more mature as a nation. They just are. One common comparison is the Hurricane Katrina disaster and the 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Japan. You really see what a nation is made of when disaster strikes and people become desperate. Americans were left to fend for themselves and there was widespread looting and crime. Japanese banded together and were very orderly and mature, even the kids I've seen in footage were unbelievably strong for their age. That kind of attitude is a very fundamental cultural difference between the two.

I think it's actually because Japanese are like that and work very hard at everything that their games are so unrealistic and wacky. It's a fun break from their busy reality. We westerners generally have much more free time and spend more time at home so we crave more adversity and conflict in games to fill that void.
#24FuzzyJelloPosted 11/20/2012 10:16:50 AM
fallenswords posted...
what about FF4 where the protagonist is old as s*** in the sequel...

We need another game like FF4/6 where all the characters are mid-twenties and above period.

...And now I'm reminded The Last Story. Have to pick that up before it disappears.

sirtonne posted...
Large_Tonberry posted...
You really see what a nation is made of when disaster strikes and people become desperate. Americans were left to fend for themselves and there was widespread looting and crime. Japanese banded together and were very orderly and mature, even the kids I've seen in footage were unbelievably strong for their age. That kind of attitude is a very fundamental cultural difference between the two.

Indeed, an individualistic (Without the personal competency to always back it up, unfortunately) culture versus a... cohesive one? Big value difference. Which is not to gloss over that Japan has it's own bias or social issues, it most certainly does.

sirtonne posted...
Large_Tonberry posted...
I think it's actually because Japanese are like that and work very hard at everything that their games are so unrealistic and wacky. It's a fun break from their busy reality. We westerners generally have much more free time and spend more time at home so we crave more adversity and conflict in games to fill that void.

While it's plumb insulting to act as if all Westerners have it easy, as far as the groups in these countries that are most likely to buy a lot of games, this is incredibly apt.
#25theofficefan99Posted 11/20/2012 10:22:31 AM
The vast minority is not "always"
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#26SilentS89Posted 11/20/2012 10:24:21 AM
ITT: Sweeping generalizations
#27SeikiKinryuPosted 11/20/2012 10:29:58 AM
SilentS89 posted...
ITT: Sweeping generalizations

From a guy with a Japanese name who consistently pokes fun at the Japanese.

Also, I'm shocked nobody brought up his Megaman "point".

They are...you ready for this?....ROBOTS.

MMZ Zero is no younger or kiddier than MMX Zero.

It is called "different design". Z Zero =/= X Zero because the bodies are not the same. Z is technically just barely in the X world anyway.
#28Ryphis_DemeanorPosted 11/20/2012 10:48:42 AM
Hope was a man by the time FFXIII-2 came around. I just completely destroyed your argument! BLASTED!
#29sirtonnePosted 11/20/2012 11:12:23 AM
FuzzyJello posted...
While it's plumb insulting to act as if all Westerners have it easy, as far as the groups in these countries that are most likely to buy a lot of games, this is incredibly apt.

I wasn't trying to imply that Westerners don't work hard, just that Japanese generally work harder. Kids have extra cram schools, adults work longer hours, people who aren't "being productive" in Japanese society are viewed negatively. They have a very strong "we are one" mentality there so you're expected to give your all for your fellow Japanese.
#30sirtonnePosted 11/20/2012 11:17:19 AM
Maybe I should add to that last part, before some troll spins it into a "yeah that's why they hate foreigners" thing, only the most extreme Japanese hate foreigners (like any country) but most people are just apprehensive because they're afraid that foreigners wouldn't value that hard working "we are one" way of life as much as they do.