This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sony admits online pass is greedy and anti-consumer

#11gr0mkakm0rgPosted 11/20/2012 5:02:05 PM
amonte64 posted...
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/11/19/ratchet-clank-full-frontal-assault-coming-to-ps-vita-in-january/

Scroll down to "Freshh23" second post, he/she posts "If this game isnít overpriced at $20 and doesnít have any greedy, rip-the-consumer-off, anti-consumer practices, you have my purchase!" which Sony replies, "there's no online pass."

Proof, now there's no questions, ifs or buts about it. Now stop getting taken advantaged of and stop being a dumb, blind consumer.

No one admitted anything. Freshh23 posted emotional, antagonistic nonsense, someone read through the worn out rhetoric then posted a likely answer to his irrational rantings.

No admission of anything, no proof of anything.
---
You say "greed" as though it's a bad thing...
#12Jinzo 111887Posted 11/20/2012 5:07:13 PM(edited)
Jinzo 111887 posted...
Except it still seems they are withholding content for use as bargaining chips to get people to buy the PS3 version new, if I understand it right, which seems just as wrong to me. They need to offer stuff outside of the game like Good Old Games does.

Supposedly, they were going to charge for those skins they are now giving for free which is ridiculous because skins should always be free, skins shouldn't be charged, they're just simple skins, doesn't cost enough to justify charging for them.

Are the skins what you were talking about?

Yep. While I might not care a lot about the skins, I usually take using codes as a way to withhold features and content as bargaining chips as a company saying they believe their product is worse than Superman 64, which drains my confidence in the game being worth playing since they should have faith in the quality of the game.
---
"Michael Vick was arrested for getting in an assault plane and shooting down other planes?" - L0Z
#13AjescentPosted 11/20/2012 5:09:22 PM
Based on the quotes, I don't see how this is an admittance of anything, it's just says "There's no online pass." Also this isn't "Sony" it's just some random no level nobody.
---
Waiting patiently for UnKarted to be announced since 4-Dec-2009
http://us.playstation.com/publictrophy/index.htm?onlinename=Ajescent
#14hockeybub89Posted 11/20/2012 5:11:47 PM
Yep. While I might not care a lot about the skins, I usually take using codes as a way to withhold features and content as bargaining chips as a company saying they believe their product is worse than Superman 64, which drains my confidence in the game being worth playing since they should have faith in the quality of the game.

A company withholding skins from you means that they think their game is worse than Superman 64? It's a lame practice, but you're over-thinking (to the point where you make no sense) it way too much. Companies want more money, simple as that. Some devs just do it in a really crappy way with disc-locked content.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#15DemonDog666Posted 11/20/2012 5:13:02 PM
Jinzo 111887 posted...
Except it still seems they are withholding content for use as bargaining chips to get people to buy the PS3 version new, if I understand it right, which seems just as wrong to me. They need to offer stuff outside of the game like Good Old Games does.

It's not so much bargining chips as to keep people from buying it used from gamestop for 5 bucks less, this was introduced to counter that practice of theirs. And as we all know two negatives (wrongs) make a positive (right) if it's in the right order.
#16Jinzo 111887Posted 11/20/2012 5:14:52 PM

A company withholding skins from you means that they think their game is worse than Superman 64? It's a lame practice, but you're over-thinking (to the point where you make no sense) it way too much. Companies want more money, simple as that. Some devs just do it in a really crappy way with disc-locked content.

Withholding as bargaining chips. I don't have a problem with disc locked content unless it's used to discourage people from buying used. If they want more people buying new, they should take some notes on how GOG gets people to buy stuff from them.
---
Secure. Contain. Protect.
#17hockeybub89Posted 11/20/2012 5:15:44 PM

Withholding as bargaining chips. I don't have a problem with disc locked content unless it's used to discourage people from buying used. If they want more people buying new, they should take some notes on how GOG gets people to buy stuff from them.

Oh. I understand you now.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#18Jinzo 111887Posted 11/20/2012 5:22:34 PM
Jinzo 111887 posted...

It's not so much bargining chips as to keep people from buying it used from gamestop for 5 bucks less, this was introduced to counter that practice of theirs. And as we all know two negatives (wrongs) make a positive (right) if it's in the right order.

Wrong way of getting people to buy new over used. Here, let me show you how GOG is better than steam:
GOG game:http://www.gog.com/gamecard/sam_max_save_the_world
Steam version of the same game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/901660/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

Notice how GOG is offering sound tracks, wallpapers, avatars, and other stuff that is not programed into the game, even though they offer them for the same price? The GOG version seems like the better deal, doesn't it?
---
I miss the Golden Age of gaming that died in the last few years. Yeah, we got better graphics, but it's not worth recent changes if you ask me.
#19WiredKnightPosted 11/20/2012 5:27:40 PM
The irony is though that if you have a quality online experience then you don't need the online pass for your game to have staying power and gamers who will invest in it each time it comes out and continue to invest in it (with DLC amd future iterations) provided that they feel the online is worth their time.

Honestly the online pass I consider counter-intuitive to the lifespan of an online game. That cost is a barrier of entry for everbody who bought used or rented the game. And although a used purchase is not a sale to the developer that's still one more person who COULD have tried online for free and, should they enjoy it, buy DLC as it comes out. A person who borrowed or rented the game can't try online at all and likely won't buy the pass because they will have to return the game. So in the end the community is forced to die faster because you're not allowing more people in.

Look at some of the top online games of all time

Call of Duty
Halo
Gears of War
Killzone 3
Forza or Gran Turisimo

Not one of those titles has an online pass and they are consistently games that top online players. It might be good for the company to have an online pass but it's bad for the consumer and the game - and the benefit to the company is tennuous at best since you get into the economics of more potential DLC purchasers vs the online passes sold to late or alternative adoptors.
#20Still__RippinPosted 11/20/2012 5:32:24 PM
crazyman32 posted...
I buy the games I want new so online pass doesn't matter to me either.

Exactly.
---
Regardless of how many people call me a troll I always speak the truth.
Currently playing- Magic 2013, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Black Ops 2, Demons Souls