This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sony admits online pass is greedy and anti-consumer

#31Jinzo 111887Posted 11/20/2012 8:29:30 PM(edited)
TC admits that he doesn't understand business at all and thinks that if he doesn't like it, it has nothing to do with business and everything to do with evil, greedy corporations that simply want to screw the consumer. Just scroll up for proof.

Except there is a difference between profiting ethically and profiting at all cost. Example of a company profiting ethically: GOG. Example of a company that tried to profit at all costs: Enron. If companies forget ethics in there business practices, they may end up like Enron.

Where does Gamestop, and their billions in profit from used games, fall on that scale?

Why do people think companies trying to earn a little bit of money on their own games is bad?

Same place as the companies using the online pass, since they are sinking to the same level.
I can't help but laugh at all the people that say "Online passes hurt the company/etc."
No. It doesn't. It helps.
People need to realize the companies make NO MONEY WHATSOEVER off of used game sales and off of playing online. They make money on new game purchases.
Anybody buying the game new is helping the company. If you have to buy an online pass, then that means you bought the game used which means you gave no money to the company. Sure it hurts the online community, but it's not doing anything to the companies sales. Anyone who wouldve bought the game new did it anyways. Some people that would've bought used are buying new or are buying online passes.
Companies have every right to charge an online pass so they can make more off people not buying new games.
Everyone is just mad that now they can't just buy a used 45 dollar game at gamestop just to play a 60 dollar game with all the content. Well, fact of the matter is you not buying the used game is not doing anything to that game companies sales.

At what cost, though? There are those who decide that they'll just buy used out of spite, when they'd buy new otherwise and people who skip over games that use them when they might have bought the game new if it wasn't for the pathetic things.
---
Secure. Contain. Protect.
#32happychappy654Posted 11/20/2012 8:28:42 PM
If the market can take it, companies will sell it. Consumers ultimately control the market and most consumers are idiots. So idiotic practices continue in the market, squeezing idiots dry. Which they deserve for allowing themselves to be squeezed dry. The smart people aren't desperate for idiotic things like passes and skins, so they're on the sidelines.

Thus the market and consumer remain in an eternal state of idiocy. Some go bankrupt and learn their lesson. Others don't and or give birth to a whole new generation of idiots.

Lazy ignorant parents = Self entitled, spoilt children = an industry based on the lowest common denominator.
#33Devilman_AmonPosted 11/20/2012 8:30:06 PM
Freeze_101 posted...
I can't help but laugh at all the people that say "Online passes hurt the company/etc."
No. It doesn't. It helps.

I BOUGHT THE GAME NEW

WHY do I have to buy ANOTHER ONLINE PASS when I bring the game over to someone else's house to play online??

It's my game. I bought it new. Therefore I bought your stupid online pass. But now I have to double pay?? WTF??
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#34huyiPosted 11/20/2012 8:51:21 PM
sony are hypocrites, they are the ones enforcing game developers to use online pass in their games so why are they talking like this now?
---
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD6670 8GB RAM 1TB HDD Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/HUYI1
#35AwayFromHerePosted 11/20/2012 8:55:57 PM
sony are hypocrites, they are the ones enforcing game developers to use online pass in their games so why are they talking like this now?

360 games have online passes, your argument against Sony in invalid.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#36RagnoraokPosted 11/20/2012 8:56:56 PM
amonte64 posted...
NE_PatriotsFan posted...
Sometimes i forget what an online pass is because games that interest me i just buy new, online pass? not my problem

It is your problem because sometimes there's problems with online pass, one example, entering them and getting to use the part of the game that requires an online pass. Also, all the negatives that are in video games right now, some examples, online pass, disc locked DLC, overpricing DLC, removing content on purpose just to release as DLC and charge for it, are still here because enough consumers still purchase products with those practices and don't do anything about it.

hockeybub89 posted...
Or Sony was like "Oh a crybaby. I know he's talking about online passes because all crybabies talk about them that way".

Online pass isn't the only greedy or anti-consumer practice that is currently done in video games, so your post is invalid and untrue.

Ryphis_Demeanor posted...
I see the online pass as worthless. Most online communities after the first 8 months whither into decay and only the most ruthless players remain in an endless deathmatch.

If I buy used a game that needs an online pass then I just refuse to play the game online ever. They are only hurting their own online community overall by adding a pass system.

This.

It's sad that even with proof from the own companies, some gamers still choose to be dumb and blind consumers and let companies rip them off. Such a shame.

I fully agree. Out of 10 complacent gamers mindlessly buying into crappy practices, there is a gem among them who knows better. You are that gem...
---
PSN: RichYungThaBest
"What's the point" "There is no point" "Ahh, That's the point"
#37Jinzo 111887Posted 11/20/2012 9:08:49 PM(edited)

360 games have online passes, your argument against Sony in invalid.

First and second party games, actually. They don't have as much control over third party companies. Thing is, Sony's even bigger hypocrites for using them on first party and second party games and claiming online multiplayer is free. I fail to see how $10=free.
---
"Michael Vick was arrested for getting in an assault plane and shooting down other planes?" - L0Z
#38DemonDog666Posted 11/21/2012 1:15:31 AM
Jinzo 111887 posted...
Jinzo 111887 posted...
Except it still seems they are withholding content for use as bargaining chips to get people to buy the PS3 version new, if I understand it right, which seems just as wrong to me. They need to offer stuff outside of the game like Good Old Games does.

It's not so much bargining chips as to keep people from buying it used from gamestop for 5 bucks less, this was introduced to counter that practice of theirs. And as we all know two negatives (wrongs) make a positive (right) if it's in the right order.

Wrong way of getting people to buy new over used. Here, let me show you how GOG is better than steam:
GOG game:http://www.gog.com/gamecard/sam_max_save_the_world
Steam version of the same game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/901660/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

Notice how GOG is offering sound tracks, wallpapers, avatars, and other stuff that is not programed into the game, even though they offer them for the same price? The GOG version seems like the better deal, doesn't it?

Yet more people still buy from steam.

See how that works, or rather doesn't.
#39Bf109_Ace_1941Posted 11/21/2012 1:21:06 AM
Spread this everywhere TC. The industry needs to see this.
---
http://wallpoper.com/images/00/31/89/31/airplanes-luftwaffe_00318931.jpg
#40killakPosted 11/21/2012 3:06:59 AM
I wouldn't see that as Sony admitting anything other than "yeah yeah, I know what you're whining about. you don't need so many adjectives"
---
My Cat - http://tinyurl.com/bvqxlwo