This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sony admits online pass is greedy and anti-consumer

#41Jinzo 111887Posted 11/21/2012 8:11:45 AM
Jinzo 111887 posted...
Jinzo 111887 posted...
Except it still seems they are withholding content for use as bargaining chips to get people to buy the PS3 version new, if I understand it right, which seems just as wrong to me. They need to offer stuff outside of the game like Good Old Games does.

It's not so much bargining chips as to keep people from buying it used from gamestop for 5 bucks less, this was introduced to counter that practice of theirs. And as we all know two negatives (wrongs) make a positive (right) if it's in the right order.

Wrong way of getting people to buy new over used. Here, let me show you how GOG is better than steam:
GOG game:http://www.gog.com/gamecard/sam_max_save_the_world
Steam version of the same game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/901660/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

Notice how GOG is offering sound tracks, wallpapers, avatars, and other stuff that is not programed into the game, even though they offer them for the same price? The GOG version seems like the better deal, doesn't it?

Yet more people still buy from steam.

See how that works, or rather doesn't.

Probably because Steam's more well known and has been around longer. I mean, if more people knew about GOG and their business practice of giving DRM the guillotine, they might be more inclined to buy stuff from GOG instead if they have the option.
---
"Michael Vick was arrested for getting in an assault plane and shooting down other planes?" - L0Z
#42DemonDog666Posted 11/21/2012 10:34:43 AM
Jinzo 111887 posted...
Probably because Steam's more well known and has been around longer. I mean, if more people knew about GOG and their business practice of giving DRM the guillotine, they might be more inclined to buy stuff from GOG instead if they have the option.

That's alot of ifs and maybes, but clearly extras don't encourage people more then advertisement. And gamestop advertises more then Sony
#43snipernoob2001Posted 11/21/2012 10:36:11 AM
crazyman32 posted...
I buy the games I want new so online pass doesn't matter to me either.
#44TomorrowDogPosted 11/21/2012 10:39:13 AM
"Are you going to wear that ugly ass purple shirt?"

"I'm wearing my green shirt."

"LOLOL YOU SAID YOUR PURPLE SHIRTS UGLY"
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
#45king_maddenPosted 11/21/2012 10:40:20 AM
dude just accept not many people care about skins and wallpapers and avatars and crap. people much rather go for actual game content most of the time. i wouldnt care whether i got steam or GOG if the game was the same price and GOG offered all that other crap, because i would never touch it. I actually would lean more towards steam since I already have an account there

its like saying here choose between these 2 games, both the same price, but this one comes with feces! not quite that dramatic but thats about how much i care for avatars and wall papers.

devilman you have to buy another one because your friend didnt buy one. if its such a hassle for you, just bring YOUR ps3 with you. unless you're a child it shouldnt be too difficult. there are simple ways around things, but people would rather complain than just do them because its easier to complain sometimes.

i also dont get how consumers who buy what they like and what they want to play are now deemed "stupid" just because they are sitting back and crying about the process. You cry and whine about dlc like you know for a fact "if we get rid of dlc they would put more content in the real game". more than likely it would be the opposite, whats the incentive to do more? why would they want to spend more money giving you extra content for free on everything? every game out right now with no dlc would be better with it.
#46secondhand1Posted 11/21/2012 10:41:26 AM
MlREFOX posted...
TC admits that he doesn't understand business at all and thinks that if he doesn't like it, it has nothing to do with business and everything to do with evil, greedy corporations that simply want to screw the consumer. Just scroll up for proof.

---
The inherent idiocy of youth often outweighs its many advantages.
#47Jinzo 111887Posted 11/21/2012 3:20:38 PM(edited)
1.)dude just accept not many people care about skins and wallpapers and avatars and crap. people much rather go for actual game content most of the time. i wouldnt care whether i got steam or GOG if the game was the same price and GOG offered all that other crap, because i would never touch it. I actually would lean more towards steam since I already have an account there.

2.)its like saying here choose between these 2 games, both the same price, but this one comes with feces! not quite that dramatic but thats about how much i care for avatars and wall papers.

3.)devilman you have to buy another one because your friend didnt buy one. if its such a hassle for you, just bring YOUR ps3 with you. unless you're a child it shouldnt be too difficult. there are simple ways around things, but people would rather complain than just do them because its easier to complain sometimes.

4.)i also dont get how consumers who buy what they like and what they want to play are now deemed "stupid" just because they are sitting back and crying about the process. You cry and whine about dlc like you know for a fact "if we get rid of dlc they would put more content in the real game". more than likely it would be the opposite, whats the incentive to do more? why would they want to spend more money giving you extra content for free on everything? every game out right now with no dlc would be better with it.

1.)Maybe, or maybe not. I mean, Valve designs their games to degrade overtime, so you have to sign in every now and then to fix something that they keep breaking.

2.)Having a GOG account and having bought a few games from them, I can honestly tell you the game and bonus stuff are all separate downloads, if you don't want them, you are free to choose not to download them with the game you purchased. Thing is, there is other stuff GOG does Steam doesn't. One such thing is GOG removes DRM from what they are selling. No need to redownload parts of a game on a regular basis, no download/install limits, and other stuff like that. On top of that, GOG also sets their classic games up to work on modern systems through DOSBox with a shortcut complete with a shortcut that's properly configured. I'm not saying Steam's bad, just that I believe GOG is a better digital distributor.

3.)That's not exactly an easy thing to do. There's a big difference between taking a 3ds with you and carrying a PS3 console deck with games. He also shouldn't have to pay twice for something he bought legally. That would be like getting charged for two movies when you only bought one.

4.)I don't care if a game has locked content and features or not. It's when that stuff is used as bargaining chips to get people to buy new when it bothers me. I take it as a sign that a company has no faith in there products and have to sink to new lows to get people to buy new. It's like those annoying D4Ders in Modnation Racers. They could be polishing their stuff to make it better, but they choose to cheat the system instead.
---
"Michael Vick was arrested for getting in an assault plane and shooting down other planes?" - L0Z
#48agrissaPosted 11/21/2012 2:54:03 PM
The online pass has never been anything else but a product of greed and to rip-off consumers. What else is new? Have ppl actually believed otherwise? Oh dear....
---
I had faith in humanity until I discovered Internet Message Boards.
#49NovaKaneXPosted 11/21/2012 3:06:22 PM
I buy the games I want new so online pass doesn't matter to me either.

Basically. I've never had an issue with this.

*kanyeshrug*
---
http://i40.tinypic.com/f50jfr.jpg
Cot damn!
#50king_maddenPosted 11/21/2012 4:03:46 PM
3.) its very easy for me to do, like i said unless hes a child and has to take it to school or something, you are making this harder than it is, put it in a bag and take it with you. not like it takes forever to set one up. also he doesnt have to pay for it twice, he paid once, his friend pays once. he is free to take his game anywhere he wants log into his account and use his pass, no where in there is he forced to pay twice.

4.) sounds ridiculous if thats what you get out of that. consumers want the best bang for their buck, so why not offer more? does walmart think its less than target because they offer more deals if you shop there? before online pass came along, a new game offered nothing that a used game couldnt give you. there was no incentive to buy new unless you were the type that goes crazy for shrink wrap. its only smart to offer more for buying new.

didnt comment on 1 and 2, mainly because i dont know about all that with GOG or whatever so it doesnt concern me, i download games from steam and play them, thats all i want it for, and thats what it does. the extras you mentioned doesnt affect me and apparently not a lot of other people either.