This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sony admits online pass is greedy and anti-consumer

#51Jinzo 111887Posted 11/21/2012 3:27:13 PM
3.) its very easy for me to do, like i said unless hes a child and has to take it to school or something, you are making this harder than it is, put it in a bag and take it with you. not like it takes forever to set one up. also he doesnt have to pay for it twice, he paid once, his friend pays once. he is free to take his game anywhere he wants log into his account and use his pass, no where in there is he forced to pay twice.

4.) sounds ridiculous if thats what you get out of that. consumers want the best bang for their buck, so why not offer more? does walmart think its less than target because they offer more deals if you shop there? before online pass came along, a new game offered nothing that a used game couldnt give you. there was no incentive to buy new unless you were the type that goes crazy for shrink wrap. its only smart to offer more for buying new.

5.)didnt comment on 1 and 2, mainly because i dont know about all that with GOG or whatever so it doesnt concern me, i download games from steam and play them, thats all i want it for, and thats what it does. the extras you mentioned doesnt affect me and apparently not a lot of other people either.

3.)Assuming you're the only one who plays the system, then it might be easy. However, that's not always the case. Let's say your entire family plays it. That's where one problem comes up. (That's the difference between a 3ds and PS3. 3ds only has one account, Ps3 has many.)

4.)I agree with the part in bold, thing is, the stuff they are "offering" is something that's been free in games for a while. I mean, online multiplayer was free in PS2 games, Sonic Adventure 2 had alternate costumes and extra missions, etc. So they aren't really offering anything more, just using that stuff as bargaining chips. If they want to offer more, they need to consider changing what they use those codes for. I've been suggesting trophies and stuff similar to what GOG has to offer for a while now. If a song in a game is catchy enough, you could get it stuck in the gamers head and make them wish they had the soundtrack. Super Mario Bros. theme, Cease to Exist/Pokey Means Business/Giygas's Theme from Earthbound, a number of Sonic songs, and even various music from Silent Hill games.

5.) Feel free to do some research on them. They originally started out with older games like Duke Nukem 3D and Fallout, which is why they are called "Good Old Games" or GOG for short. However, they recently decided to start selling newer stuff, too.
---
I miss the Golden Age of gaming that died in the last few years. Yeah, we got better graphics, but it's not worth recent changes if you ask me.
#52true_gamer80Posted 11/21/2012 3:31:30 PM(edited)
look how completley out of it this place is....seriously lol

a single pereson post on a forum and somenoe applies it to all of sony, as if its soe official announcement sony is laughing at all gamers or something ridiculous like that,

Some of you are so grasping for things to argue or talk about your maknig crap up or completely and utterly blowing up some smal thing and applying it to the whole company....this is the perfect exeample of what is wrong with this place and how completely out of it so many are here lol.....

Dont you just love how mainstream gaming changed these forums....utter onnsense all the time day after day...
---
Real Hip Hop...I miss the 90's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ua89wKwDA&feature=related
#53king_maddenPosted 11/21/2012 3:39:18 PM
Jinzo 111887 posted...
3.) its very easy for me to do, like i said unless hes a child and has to take it to school or something, you are making this harder than it is, put it in a bag and take it with you. not like it takes forever to set one up. also he doesnt have to pay for it twice, he paid once, his friend pays once. he is free to take his game anywhere he wants log into his account and use his pass, no where in there is he forced to pay twice.

4.) sounds ridiculous if thats what you get out of that. consumers want the best bang for their buck, so why not offer more? does walmart think its less than target because they offer more deals if you shop there? before online pass came along, a new game offered nothing that a used game couldnt give you. there was no incentive to buy new unless you were the type that goes crazy for shrink wrap. its only smart to offer more for buying new.

5.)didnt comment on 1 and 2, mainly because i dont know about all that with GOG or whatever so it doesnt concern me, i download games from steam and play them, thats all i want it for, and thats what it does. the extras you mentioned doesnt affect me and apparently not a lot of other people either.

3.)Assuming you're the only one who plays the system, then it might be easy. However, that's not always the case. Let's say your entire family plays it. That's where one problem comes up. (That's the difference between a 3ds and PS3. 3ds only has one account, Ps3 has many.)

4.)I agree with the part in bold, thing is, the stuff they are "offering" is something that's been free in games for a while. I mean, online multiplayer was free in PS2 games, Sonic Adventure 2 had alternate costumes and extra missions, etc. So they aren't really offering anything more, just using that stuff as bargaining chips. If they want to offer more, they need to consider changing what they use those codes for. I've been suggesting trophies and stuff similar to what GOG has to offer for a while now. If a song in a game is catchy enough, you could get it stuck in the gamers head and make them wish they had the soundtrack. Super Mario Bros. theme, Cease to Exist/Pokey Means Business/Giygas's Theme from Earthbound, a number of Sonic songs, and even various music from Silent Hill games.

5.) Feel free to do some research on them. They originally started out with older games like Duke Nukem 3D and Fallout, which is why they are called "Good Old Games" or GOG for short. However, they recently decided to start selling newer stuff, too.

3.) with any situation you can come up with all types of what if scenarios, that support one side or the other, but fact remains its not hard to take a ps3 to a friends house and then take it back home. I remember back in the day when all of my cousins use to go and spend the night at our grand parents house we use to bring our sega or snes, since there wasnt one there already.

4.) things were free in other games years ago. sure online may have been free back then, but the online community was nothing like it is now, most games then didnt even have online. offering a soundtrack, avatar, or wallpaper is much worse than offering a game mode, or weapons or characters, which is usually offered. offering a soundtrack as incentive to buy new is a bad idea mainly because you dont know how the music is until AFTER you play it, and most people dont listen to the music first before they play a game.
#54nihilist212Posted 11/21/2012 3:43:12 PM
amonte64 posted...
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/11/19/ratchet-clank-full-frontal-assault-coming-to-ps-vita-in-january/

Scroll down to "Freshh23" second post, he/she posts "If this game isnít overpriced at $20 and doesnít have any greedy, rip-the-consumer-off, anti-consumer practices, you have my purchase!" which Sony replies, "there's no online pass."

Proof, now there's no questions, ifs or buts about it. Now stop getting taken advantaged of and stop being a dumb, blind consumer.

Also, read this this, this is something all gamers should read and it's 100% knowledge and true. http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/no-means-no-the-power-to-step-away

I don't see how that's proof or admitting anything. To me it suggests they knew exactly what the person was referring to, and commented as such. You're a fool, TC.
---
Sometimes you've got to say "hey, i'm gonna **** you.....softly"
psn: jcvdismyhero
#55Jinzo 111887Posted 11/21/2012 4:45:40 PM
3.) with any situation you can come up with all types of what if scenarios, that support one side or the other, but fact remains its not hard to take a ps3 to a friends house and then take it back home. I remember back in the day when all of my cousins use to go and spend the night at our grand parents house we use to bring our sega or snes, since there wasnt one there already.

4.) things were free in other games years ago. sure online may have been free back then, but the online community was nothing like it is now, most games then didnt even have online. offering a soundtrack, avatar, or wallpaper is much worse than offering a game mode, or weapons or characters, which is usually offered.

5.)offering a soundtrack as incentive to buy new is a bad idea mainly because you dont know how the music is until AFTER you play it, and most people dont listen to the music first before they play a game.

3.) SNES and Genesis didn't play movies, though. That's a big difference between a PS3 and them. I mean, the family could use it as their personal Blu ray player.

4.)I can name a few. Area 51, Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1, 2, and 3, Resident Evil Outbreak files 1 & 2, and Mortal Kombat Armageddon.

5.) Isn't that the kind of info you could get from betas and demos of games? One of the problems with games these days is the emphasis on graphics is too heavy, which is is leading to neglect in other areas. Pretty colors aren't everything. Balance is the key. Besides, if they improve the quality of music, I'd imagine the number of people wanting custom soundtrack options would go down.
---
"Michael Vick was arrested for getting in an assault plane and shooting down other planes?" - L0Z
#56king_maddenPosted 11/21/2012 4:57:10 PM
Jinzo 111887 posted...

4.) things were free in other games years ago. sure online may have been free back then, but the online community was nothing like it is now, most games then didnt even have online. offering a soundtrack, avatar, or wallpaper is much worse than offering a game mode, or weapons or characters, which is usually offered.

5.)offering a soundtrack as incentive to buy new is a bad idea mainly because you dont know how the music is until AFTER you play it, and most people dont listen to the music first before they play a game.

3.) SNES and Genesis didn't play movies, though. That's a big difference between a PS3 and them. I mean, the family could use it as their personal Blu ray player.

4.)I can name a few. Area 51, Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1, 2, and 3, Resident Evil Outbreak files 1 & 2, and Mortal Kombat Armageddon.

5.) Isn't that the kind of info you could get from betas and demos of games? One of the problems with games these days is the emphasis on graphics is too heavy, which is is leading to neglect in other areas. Pretty colors aren't everything. Balance is the key. Besides, if they improve the quality of music, I'd imagine the number of people wanting custom soundtrack options would go down.

3.)whether or not they play movies is irrelevant, my point is its not hard to take a console to a friends house, like people make it seem, people have been doing it for years. but point remains you want to argue a hypothetical, and like i said if thats the case we will be here all day, you can create a situation out of anything. if you have a family ps3 then just wait til you are able to take it, if you dont want to wait then create a profile on your friends ps3.

4. you could name 50 and it would still pale in comparison to what we have now, a lot of people didnt even have ps2s that could go online for the longest. so point remains the community is nothing like it is now.

5. a beta or demo might give you a song or 2 IF the game even has one. but no demos and betas dont give you the entire soundtrack. how the music is depends on the person who is listening, there is music i hate that the next person loves, good music is like a good game, there is going to be people who still dont like it. point remains though, more people will buy a game that offers more gameplay related content than music, wall papers or avatars.
#57Jinzo 111887Posted 11/21/2012 5:15:54 PM(edited)

3.)whether or not they play movies is irrelevant, my point is its not hard to take a console to a friends house, like people make it seem, people have been doing it for years. but point remains you want to argue a hypothetical, and like i said if thats the case we will be here all day, you can create a situation out of anything. if you have a family ps3 then just wait til you are able to take it, if you dont want to wait then create a profile on your friends ps3.

4. you could name 50 and it would still pale in comparison to what we have now, a lot of people didnt even have ps2s that could go online for the longest. so point remains the community is nothing like it is now.

5. a beta or demo might give you a song or 2 IF the game even has one. but no demos and betas dont give you the entire soundtrack. how the music is depends on the person who is listening, there is music i hate that the next person loves, good music is like a good game, there is going to be people who still dont like it. point remains though, more people will buy a game that offers more gameplay related content than music, wall papers or avatars.

3.) It's not hard to physically take something to another place unless it's really big. What I mean is that you could anger your family in the process, get into a lot of trouble for it, etc.

4.) And yet they're sending it back to that era in their war against gamestop.

5.) Soundtest menu is one option. Of course, including a variety of music can help. Earthbound had over 200 songs, if I'm not mistaken. A lot for an SNES cartridge. Kind of a let down there was nothing like a "CD Player" item in the game to act as a soundtest menu. Of course, this idea is based off the making it so that consumers are treated better and reducing the temptation to make them want to figuratively write "Kiss this!" on their butts and moon company officials.
---
"Michael Vick was arrested for getting in an assault plane and shooting down other planes?" - L0Z
#58king_maddenPosted 11/21/2012 6:38:57 PM
3.)again all of that usually isnt the case unless you're talking about a child. either way your scenario was a hypothetical, in which case you can make any matter of excuses, its still simple to do. he can just put his profile on his friends ps3 which also is easy and doesnt take long.

4.) no, people are still buying new, a lot of people are buying online passes that buy used. you have no idea how many people are no longer playing online because of this, so its premature to make a comment like that. its your opinion, nothing more. sure some gamers are upset, but gamers are always upset, and they still buy anyway.

5.) no matter how much music you throw out there, most people will always go for more gameplay content than music content. to the casual gamer out there, why would he care that he can get a soundtrack for buying new, when he can get that same soundtrack from somewhere else for cheap or free anyway? they want gameplay.
#59Jinzo 111887Posted 11/21/2012 6:55:41 PM
3.)again all of that usually isnt the case unless you're talking about a child. either way your scenario was a hypothetical, in which case you can make any matter of excuses, its still simple to do. he can just put his profile on his friends ps3 which also is easy and doesnt take long.

4.) no, people are still buying new, a lot of people are buying online passes that buy used. you have no idea how many people are no longer playing online because of this, so its premature to make a comment like that. its your opinion, nothing more. sure some gamers are upset, but gamers are always upset, and they still buy anyway.

5.) no matter how much music you throw out there, most people will always go for more gameplay content than music content. to the casual gamer out there, why would he care that he can get a soundtrack for buying new, when he can get that same soundtrack from somewhere else for cheap or free anyway? they want gameplay.

3.) Well, you said you used to do that during the "SNES/Genesis," I assumed you were a child back then. I was using that as an example of how different the PS3 is from those consoles. Of course, here's another one: Two people go in together and buy the system, each of them pays half. Now, since they each paid half, both of them are entitled to use it equally. Let's say that person A invited a friend over to play games with, while person B already promised to bring the system over because they game shared with someone else already (not something I approve, just using it as an example), this creates a dilemma, doesn't it?

4.)I mean it's hurting the online community. And the ones who are not standing up for themselves really should be telling these companies "NO!"

5.)If getting it cheap or free from another source would be illegal or be more revenue for them. As for the gameplay thing, it's a mix of various elements. If companies can't find a good mix to keep people playing longer instead of selling it as soon as they can, they don't deserve extra sales since they failed the first time.
---
I miss the Golden Age of gaming that died in the last few years. Yeah, we got better graphics, but it's not worth recent changes if you ask me.
#60king_maddenPosted 11/21/2012 8:40:01 PM
Jinzo 111887 posted...

3.) Well, you said you used to do that during the "SNES/Genesis," I assumed you were a child back then. I was using that as an example of how different the PS3 is from those consoles. Of course, here's another one: Two people go in together and buy the system, each of them pays half. Now, since they each paid half, both of them are entitled to use it equally. Let's say that person A invited a friend over to play games with, while person B already promised to bring the system over because they game shared with someone else already (not something I approve, just using it as an example), this creates a dilemma, doesn't it?

4.)I mean it's hurting the online community. And the ones who are not standing up for themselves really should be telling these companies "NO!"

5.)If getting it cheap or free from another source would be illegal or be more revenue for them. As for the gameplay thing, it's a mix of various elements. If companies can't find a good mix to keep people playing longer instead of selling it as soon as they can, they don't deserve extra sales since they failed the first time.

3.) dont know why you would assume I was talking about being a child when I have stated numerous times how easy it is UNLESS you were a child. as for your dilemma, thats something thats their personal problem, what if the roommate doesnt want him to take the game? you are thinking of every negative hypothetical just to support your argument, thats why i dismissed hypothetical in the beginning, anything can be turned negative if you sit back and think of it all day.

even still none of these problems are going to be something the devs care about, why would they want to support players who didnt even buy their game? if someone wants to test it they can rent it and try the online out in most cases.

4.) consumers are going to complain that everything is hurting the gaming community, from graphics, to greedy companies, to dlc, to blah blah blah. its going to be something all the time. people who buy online passes dont mind, and thats their choice, you arent forced to buy it.

5.)you keep speaking for personal opinion. there isnt one game out right now that everyone likes, you arent going to appeal to everyone. devs get a vision and go with it, its up to the consumer whether or not they like it. what you say is "worth" it or not is just YOUR opinion. I might find a game awesome while the next person thinks its trash, so whos right? if devs have a million people that love it and a million people that hate it, what do they do then? is that a success?