This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

FF7 hasn't aged well at all. I really don't see why people consider this GOAT.

#161ChocolateSavior(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 2:46:49 PM
The combat is simple enough for anyone to pick up and enjoy without becoming inaccessible for people who don't like to become overly-encumbered with customization; however it still gives a few options to play with for those that want to explore materia combinations. The battles and length of dungeons are paced well and it just feels fun throughout. There are sidequests, but they don't feel pointless or tacked-on as they do in many modern games and offer high rewards for the time you put into them.

This is really the only section I'm concerned about since gameplay is what I play games for...and FF7 is a very shallow game. Systems can be broken quite easily.
---
http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/b0opG.gif
#162Seifer_usPosted 11/23/2012 6:11:48 PM
ChocolateSavior posted...
This is really the only section I'm concerned about since gameplay is what I play games for...and FF7 is a very shallow game. Systems can be broken quite easily.

That's the thing, though. You say "shallow", I say "accessible" and we're at a standstill.

I love deep systems. Vagrant Story is far and away more interesting for me than Final Fantasy VII; BUT it isn't a very accessible system. Many gamers feel overwhelmed by it and end up not enjoying the game. Meanwhile, FFVII provides a system that's easy to understand for anyone, but allows for slightly greater depth than a simple action game or first-person shooter, for example. There's something to be said for any level of depth, no matter how small, that engages a wide variety of people.

The thing is, I don't honestly believe that deep gameplay is all you care about. If that were true, you'd never spend any time with anything less complicated than Civilization or the like. Do you not enjoy platformers or action games at all? The point is, if gameplay was the only thing that determined fun-factor for most people, we would probably never have pushed gaming beyond classic Chess.
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#163digidevilwilPosted 11/23/2012 6:13:34 PM
AwayFromHere posted...
Why is nostalgia such a hard concept to grasp for people?

Because some older games are still genuinely good?
---
PSN: PandaKingEX
#164JCourChesNePosted 11/23/2012 6:13:52 PM
Nostolgia is a part of it, but believe it or not, there is a bunch of people who actually still enjoy old games and don't care about graphics. Final Fantasy VII is a fun game.
---
Currently Playing: Playstation All-stars Battle Royale
PSN: DaeGa
#165kilaudePosted 11/24/2012 5:03:37 AM
The combat is simple enough for anyone to pick up and enjoy without becoming inaccessible for people who don't like to become overly-encumbered with customization; however it still gives a few options to play with for those that want to explore materia combinations. The battles and length of dungeons are paced well and it just feels fun throughout. There are sidequests, but they don't feel pointless or tacked-on as they do in many modern games and offer high rewards for the time you put into them.

This is really the only section I'm concerned about since gameplay is what I play games for...and FF7 in my opinion (minority - see worldwide reviews and acclaim) is a very shallow game. Systems can be broken quite easily.

there i fixed it for you
#166PorkmonPosted 11/24/2012 5:08:29 AM
Games don't age. You do. If FF7 or any other game doesn't "hold up to today's standards", it is because you have changed, and your standards and expectations, not the game.
#167majin nemesisPosted 11/24/2012 5:28:50 AM(edited)
^^^^ that
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#168ChocolateSavior(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2012 8:17:46 AM

That's the thing, though. You say "shallow", I say "accessible" and we're at a standstill.

I love deep systems. Vagrant Story is far and away more interesting for me than Final Fantasy VII; BUT it isn't a very accessible system. Many gamers feel overwhelmed by it and end up not enjoying the game. Meanwhile, FFVII provides a system that's easy to understand for anyone, but allows for slightly greater depth than a simple action game or first-person shooter, for example. There's something to be said for any level of depth, no matter how small, that engages a wide variety of people.

The thing is, I don't honestly believe that deep gameplay is all you care about. If that were true, you'd never spend any time with anything less complicated than Civilization or the like. Do you not enjoy platformers or action games at all? The point is, if gameplay was the only thing that determined fun-factor for most people, we would probably never have pushed gaming beyond classic Chess.

You can have both in a game though. Think about games like SSFIV - where it's easy enough for a casual gamer to pick up the game but the depth at a high level is still immense...and the level of execution at that level gets pretty ridiculous as well (think about Fuerte's RSF loop or characters' one frame links).

As far as your chess argument goes, I disagree since chess is a game of pure strategy, without that level of execution involved.
---
#169ChocolateSavior(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2012 8:25:38 AM
And yes, I play platformers and action games - I actually used to speedrun platformers, some of them have much more depth than you think...more than most RPGs in my opinion.
---
#170king_maddenPosted 11/24/2012 8:35:20 AM
see tc this is why I say troll topic, you asked a question about something you didn't really want the answer to. All you want to do is disagree. You asked why people told you why, you disagree that's it.

It would be like someone disagreeing with you about sf. You think its deep and great many others including me don't feel that way. I personally don't feel fighting games are that great to begin with, but at the same time I understand people like them for their own personal reasons, what would be the point of saying "aw sf just isn't that great why do you like this". When I don't care what your answer is and I'm just going to disagree regardless?