This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

JRPGs failing in the USA due to the decline in popularity of anime.

#1KevoCSCSPosted 11/21/2012 1:08:13 PM
I think JRPGs have tied themselves so closely to anime in terms of their overall style that it's hard to like them unless you have at least a passing interest in anime.

Anime was huge in the USA for a while and it seems it peaked in about 2007. Subsequently JRPGs aroudn that time have been becoming less popular with more and more of the big titles either not seeing US releases and/or being shifted to the portable format thanks to it being cheaper to develop for.

For a while during the mid-late 90's and early 2000's anime wasn't huge in the USA. It was kind of counter-culture and cool, strictly nerd territory. Back then it seemed new and different from the Western stuff we were used to especially with all the violence and nudity that isn't common in Western animation. Anime felt like cartoons for grown-ups, that's literally how me and my friends described them.
Then we started getting stuff like Toonami, Cartoon Network, we started seeing tons of anime shirts at Hot-Topic in the mall, we got the Pokemon cartoon show and movies and all of the sudden Anime didn't feel so counter-culture and cool anymore, it felt mainstream. Then after a while is started to feel annoying and oversaturated and a lot of people just got sick of it. What used to feel deep and epic started to just feel pretentious(Neon Genesis Evangelion I'm looking in your direction).

Problem is it seems like every JRPG shares the anime style so if you don't like Anime much it's going to be hard to like JRPGs.

I think more JRPGs should try to push for original art-styles and to the genres credit some JRPGs have. Final Fantasy VI had a gritty steam punk style, Vagrant Story had a fantasy reneissance look, and then you have more modern examples like Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls which are similar to fantasy Western styles with Eastern inspiration which works well.
#2iPutinWORKPosted 11/21/2012 1:08:50 PM
Where are the FACTS?
---
PSN Salesrobmy7 | Playing Mass Effect 2 | Batman AA | FFIX
Favorites SMB3 | FFT | FFX | MvC2 | Pokemon
#3este914Posted 11/21/2012 1:12:05 PM
I thought everyone liked Dragonball & Dragonball Z ...
---
-> este914 <-
WHO ELSE?!
#4TehTrumpCardPosted 11/21/2012 1:14:31 PM
Have you tried watching anime that wasn't on your TV?

Like actually tried looking for anime.

Sword Art Online (SAO) and Btooom! are still hot (and ongoing).

then there's

Steins ;Gate (finished)
Another (finished)
Clannad and Clannad After Story (finished)
Air (finished)
Mirai Nikki (finished)

None of which are typical anime. Only Persona 3 and Final Fantasy 7's beginning even comes close to duplicating them.
---
"Set your dreams high, and make them come true. You can aim higher than this, much higher!"
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN: TehTrumpCard n ReimuHakure-
#5servb0tsPosted 11/21/2012 1:15:44 PM
KevoCSCS posted...
I think JRPGs have tied themselves so closely to anime in terms of their overall style that it's hard to like them unless you have at least a passing interest in anime.

Anime was huge in the USA for a while and it seems it peaked in about 2007. Subsequently JRPGs aroudn that time have been becoming less popular with more and more of the big titles either not seeing US releases and/or being shifted to the portable format thanks to it being cheaper to develop for.

For a while during the mid-late 90's and early 2000's anime wasn't huge in the USA. It was kind of counter-culture and cool, strictly nerd territory. Back then it seemed new and different from the Western stuff we were used to especially with all the violence and nudity that isn't common in Western animation. Anime felt like cartoons for grown-ups, that's literally how me and my friends described them.
Then we started getting stuff like Toonami, Cartoon Network, we started seeing tons of anime shirts at Hot-Topic in the mall, we got the Pokemon cartoon show and movies and all of the sudden Anime didn't feel so counter-culture and cool anymore, it felt mainstream. Then after a while is started to feel annoying and oversaturated and a lot of people just got sick of it. What used to feel deep and epic started to just feel pretentious(Neon Genesis Evangelion I'm looking in your direction).

Problem is it seems like every JRPG shares the anime style so if you don't like Anime much it's going to be hard to like JRPGs.

I think more JRPGs should try to push for original art-styles and to the genres credit some JRPGs have. Final Fantasy VI had a gritty steam punk style, Vagrant Story had a fantasy reneissance look, and then you have more modern examples like Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls which are similar to fantasy Western styles with Eastern inspiration which works well.

Bold letters explained everything more clearly.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner
#6AlltraPosted 11/21/2012 1:16:15 PM
I wouldn't even care if they used an Anime style if they did it like Cowboy Beebop or some other similar style, where it's mostly serious in tone, and not a bunch of little kids / teenagers.

I want a JRPG cast that's comprised of 30+ year old characters. At worst, the youngest should be mid 20's.

I'm tired of the most serious thing going on in a JRPG being some doofus kid losing his homework, finding is first love, and watching 14-16 year old girls take showers.
---
Math problems are the ultimate trick question. No matter how straight forward and simple they seem, the answer is never what you think it is.
#7djrudenPosted 11/21/2012 1:17:21 PM
Topic title indicates a statement of fact.
First 2 words indicate OPINION.

I stopped reading after learning this was just a blogFAQs post.
#8toadiemanPosted 11/21/2012 1:18:36 PM
People just don't wanna hear about the power of friendship anymore.
---
PSN: toadieman
#9SieKensouPosted 11/21/2012 1:23:53 PM
TehTrumpCard posted...
Have you tried watching anime that wasn't on your TV?

Like actually tried looking for anime.

Sword Art Online (SAO) and Btooom! are still hot (and ongoing).

then there's

Steins ;Gate (finished)
Another (finished)
Clannad and Clannad After Story (finished)
Air (finished)
Mirai Nikki (finished)

None of which are typical anime. Only Persona 3 and Final Fantasy 7's beginning even comes close to duplicating them.

that's not the best list >.> and you have 3 Key's titles in there.. Key has their own style that they stick to. you'll notice it when you get familiar with their works. not a bad thing though. i still love their stuff.

you need more stuff like:

Bokurano
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Hana Saku Iroha
Mnemosyne Musume (Daughters of Mnemosyne)
Tiger & Bunny
Minami-ke
Juu Ou Sei
Seirei no Moribito
Guin Saga
Last Exile
Bartender
Code Breaker
Btoooooom
Kino no Tabi

and more.......

and anime is still getting more popular... either that or it's somewhat stagnant in the west?... i can't really say... but everything in the animation category is heavily typed in the west... far more stereotyped than what i believe people in japan regard it as... (thus the difference in variety of target audiences within the animation medium)
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#10Snipersnake111Posted 11/21/2012 1:25:46 PM
toadieman posted...
People just don't wanna hear about the power of friendship anymore.

Unless of course those people are bronies.
---
PSN: Snipersnake111
"Our lives are in your hands and you've got butterfingers?"