This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

JRPG's "Aren't" failing due to Anime ties.

#21Devilman_AmonPosted 11/21/2012 10:27:20 PM
hijokaiden posted...
SieKensou posted...
bigali3n posted...
It's not always the art style itself, although styles like that found in Tales, Atelier, and such are extremely unappealing to adults in the west. The poor writing and voice acting certainly play a part. The stories are usually ridiculous and the characters impossible to relate to. Too much micromanagement. These are all factors.

The Souls games are not JRPGs.

characters are impossible to relate to? .......

Lesbians pink and purple haired girls who's main past time are perverted sexually expicit jokes are indeed impossible to relate to.

Do you relate to a midget Italian plumber and his brother that don't even do actual plumbing but stomp on sentient mushrooms and go on adventures trying to save a princess from a fire breathing fatso dragon? Or a pink blob that eats whatever is in his path?
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#22SieKensouPosted 11/21/2012 10:29:36 PM
a young girl looking for her lost mother? ever lose something/someone precious?

a princess trying to aid in rebuilding her kingdom? learning for to manage a kingdom isn't easy. ofc this is still just a poor man's representation of it. and this being more about the person individually instead of a management sim (such as sim city).

lesbians and sexually explicit jokes?.... really? >.>
if that's true, i blame NISA.

go and try to prove me wrong.
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#23plasticman13Posted 11/21/2012 10:31:09 PM(edited)
Who ever said that? JRPGs are failing (in the West, that is) because their quality is bad. I could count the number of good JRPGs released on the HD twins this gen with one hand.

EDIT: Just saw the topic talking about JRPGs and anime, so I see where you're coming from. Either way, anime isn't the reason they aren't doing well.
---
For the latest news on Final Fantasy Versus XIII with interviews, e-mails, etc. with the development staff, please visit:
http://bit.ly/g917a5
#24Devilman_AmonPosted 11/21/2012 10:30:39 PM
bigali3n posted...
It's not always the art style itself, although styles like that found in Tales, Atelier, and such are extremely unappealing to adults in the west. The poor writing and voice acting certainly play a part. The stories are usually ridiculous and the characters impossible to relate to. Too much micromanagement. These are all factors.

And vice versa in Japan. The characters in many Western games to them come off as uninspired, uncharming, unoriginal and bland. Basically trying too hard to be serious and gritty Different strokes
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#25DemiFistPosted 11/21/2012 10:41:00 PM
hijokaiden posted...
Lockheart34 posted...
Also, the game took well over a year to be localized. It was all mainly word of mouth, not strong advertising.

It didn't.

Yeah, Hijokaiden should do research before opening the mouthpiece. Demon Souls was already in English and we got it just a few months after its Japanese launch. I remember importing it purely because it was already in English.
---
Eluveitie greatest Band Ever, So "Get Da Folk UP!!!"
#26hijokaidenPosted 11/21/2012 10:45:28 PM
DemiFist posted...
hijokaiden posted...
Lockheart34 posted...
Also, the game took well over a year to be localized. It was all mainly word of mouth, not strong advertising.

It didn't.

Yeah, Hijokaiden should do research before opening the mouthpiece. Demon Souls was already in English and we got it just a few months after its Japanese launch. I remember importing it purely because it was already in English.

Read the first quote; the guy claimed that Demon's Souls was localized after WELL OVER A YEAR, which it DIDN'T. It was localized by Atlus after a couple months and yes it was already in english in the Asian version that was released at the beginning of 2009.
---
Well at Gamestop you can get a rubber ducky, a water gun, or a pirate sleeve Wii bundle.
#27Lockheart34Posted 11/21/2012 10:49:10 PM
hijokaiden posted...
Lockheart34 posted...

It didn't.

It didn't what? It certainly took longer than a year where I live, both EU and AU did. Most JRPG seem to do that these days besides Final Fantasy.
---
PSN: Kamurotetsu
#28hijokaidenPosted 11/21/2012 11:05:05 PM
Lockheart34 posted...
hijokaiden posted...
Lockheart34 posted...

It didn't.

It didn't what? It certainly took longer than a year where I live, both EU and AU did. Most JRPG seem to do that these days besides Final Fantasy.

It didn't take over a year, it was released in October 2009, Japanese and Asian region version was released in Q1 2009.
---
Well at Gamestop you can get a rubber ducky, a water gun, or a pirate sleeve Wii bundle.
#29DemiFistPosted 11/21/2012 11:23:49 PM
hijokaiden posted...
DemiFist posted...
hijokaiden posted...
Lockheart34 posted...

It didn't.

Read the first quote; the guy claimed that Demon's Souls was localized after WELL OVER A YEAR, which it DIDN'T. It was localized by Atlus after a couple months and yes it was already in english in the Asian version that was released at the beginning of 2009.

I apologise good sir. My comment was at Lockheart, don't know how I mixed your names up.
---
Eluveitie greatest Band Ever, So "Get Da Folk UP!!!"
#30Guts_LeonheartPosted 11/22/2012 1:50:37 AM
Demon's/Dark Souls are JRPGs whether you want to admit it or not, they're Japanese Role Playing Games.

Atelier > Tales of Graces F

It's not the whole moe fad that's the problem, TogF has a nice battle system and fairly decent gameplay but the story is horrid and the characters are cringeworthy (besides Sophia). It doesn't help that there is no Japanese audio either.

Atelier's only problem is people find the whole time system very daunting and people get worried that they will mess up if they don't use a guide. When you can get past that and understand the mechanics it's a very enjoyable game with a cute story.