This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Poll: If Sony launches the PS4 at a price of $500+, they will finish last again

#11Hucast9Posted 11/21/2012 11:24:41 PM
What I say is fact: It has been proven that price does not matter. People will get their games regardless of any economy situation or price. Hopefully the next gen consoles do cost 5-600 dollars.
#12BokuxPicoPosted 11/22/2012 12:10:45 AM
If they want better tech then they're gonna need to jack up the price really high. Nobody's gonna buy if the price is high and they won't sell anything and nobody's gonna buy it if it's barely an upgrade from the PS3. Either way it's a lose-lose situation.
#13UniversquallPosted 11/22/2012 12:23:53 AM
Depends on if they have any competition that still struggles against them at retail again
---
After the Fallout
#14ArkonBladePosted 11/22/2012 12:54:04 AM
RPGsplease posted...
My God people. Its not hard to save up for a system. If price point is to high for you wait. You don't have to be a early adopter.

Preorder it at gamestop pay monthly. When I got my ps3 I had it on layaway at the bx. I didn't wait whole time BC I wanted it then. I waited 4 months for a ps3. I bought a 360 a month after launch. U just need to set money aside. Look at TVs. Led and plasma were insane price wise and now Uber cheap.

You have to look at it like this. If you are Sony , MS or Nintendo and you are going for the first place position . You want to reach that 100 million user base and to do that with $499 console will never happen because the mass buyers are people who just don't game enough and for them its not always about saving the money its the justification of why am i spending $499+ on some thing they are not going to use as much as a core gamer that will have less of a issue with it.

The goal is always the same to get that system in the hands of as many people as possable and history has shown us that no console that tries to hold that $499+ price tag has any luck. Sony had to do some fast price cuts on the PS3 and wasn't till it hit $399 that it started to sell well and when it hit $299 it really started moving out the door and now at $249 its selling even better and is now about tied up with the xbox 360.

Price is always going to matter if you want that user base.Thats not to say the PS4 is going to be under powered . its more then likely going to be a beast and sony is just going to have to eat the loss on each console sold for a few years which pretty much happens all the time . just how much of a loss it could be is unknown at this point. My guess is MS will be doing the same thing .
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow
#15AlltraPosted 11/22/2012 1:01:32 AM
I'm not sure they'd finish at all if they did that. They'd end up being an "Also Ran" like the Dreamcast ended up being.
---
Math problems are the ultimate trick question. No matter how straight forward and simple they seem, the answer is never what you think it is.
#16justchill433Posted 11/22/2012 1:03:04 AM
If they want better tech then they're gonna need to jack up the price really high. Nobody's gonna buy if the price is high and they won't sell anything and nobody's gonna buy it if it's barely an upgrade from the PS3. Either way it's a lose-lose situation.

Just like people didn't buy the Wii since it was barely an upgrade... oh wait
---
PSN: s1l3nt_x_cha0s GT: xziT4L3NTZx
*slips of cliff*
#17RomangeloPosted 11/22/2012 1:07:14 AM
$500 = a decent gaming PC that can do something else.

$500 for a game console = die in hell, Sony.
---
X > V > T > VI > XII > XIII-2 > X-2 > XIII > TLR > VIII > VII > IV > IX > III > I > II
#18AlltraPosted 11/22/2012 1:14:46 AM
The damn thing wouldn't be that expensive if it didn't have all kinds of additional, frivolous features like pretty much every console has.

Seriously, get rid of the fodder. We don't need all of these crazy features like Qore, or being able to store music and photos. Hell, we don't even need the internet browser, and the damn thing is terrible anyway so nobody uses it. All that crap is a waste of space.

Keep Netflix, PS Store, and dump everything else. We don't need it, and I'll bet my left arm the price of the system will come down to like $200, if that.
---
Math problems are the ultimate trick question. No matter how straight forward and simple they seem, the answer is never what you think it is.
#19amonte64Posted 11/22/2012 1:15:25 AM
Of course you mean rank in sales which means absolutely nothing to anyone not even the company. But on this topic, PS3 is currently in 2nd in sales or about to pass the 360 and the later the PS4 and 720 come out the PS3 might even pass Wii.
#20amonte64Posted 11/22/2012 1:19:26 AM
It actually depends on how much people are willing to pay for what it a console offers. For example, if it offers what Smart TVs offer, web browsing, everything, your whole living room entertainment in one box, cable replacement, anything else and new things, a higher than usual price wouldn't be a bad thing as long as people are willing to purchase it.

I think all companies should have different SKUs that cater to different people and of course the prices depends on that