This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

if i had a fat ps3 for a year before it YLOD...

#1edelbrock442Posted 11/22/2012 9:45:37 PM
(it was a little more than a year but i'm trying to be on a more exact scale.)
then how long should my ps3 slim last? had it more than a year and a half.
i also have one of those coolers that push cold air up from beneath it for my laptop that i use on my ps3, will that extend its life?

i'm doing this for black friday sales and was wondering if i should get a new slim or a vita. however i already own the uncharteds and infamous', so if anyone can tell me how much a 320 gig costs without a bundle, that'll be great. or a smaller gig that they have on sale without the bundle. i will only spend $200.
#2Thermador446Posted 11/22/2012 9:52:42 PM
Google YLOD algorithm.
---
"You're telling me that Christ comes back to life every Sunday in the form of a bowl of crackers; and then you proceed to just eat the man, Correct?"
#3edelbrock442(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 11:32:48 PM
not what i'm looking for
#4Thermador446Posted 11/22/2012 11:41:17 PM
edelbrock442 posted...
(it was a little more than a year but i'm trying to be on a more exact scale.)
then how long should my ps3 slim last? had it more than a year and a half.
i also have one of those coolers that push cold air up from beneath it for my laptop that i use on my ps3, will that extend its life?

i'm doing this for black friday sales and was wondering if i should get a new slim or a vita. however i already own the uncharteds and infamous', so if anyone can tell me how much a 320 gig costs without a bundle, that'll be great. or a smaller gig that they have on sale without the bundle. i will only spend $200.

320GB HDD seem to fail prematurely more than other models. I went with a 160GB from walmart for that reason.

My slim has thousands of hours on it. I rarely leave it on for less than an hour, short periods are about the worst thing you can do to a PS3.

Never has any problems with the slim, so I made sure to pick up an extra before today.
In a store that isn't open yet is probably the only place you'll find a slim, and only if you get there at opening.
---
"You're telling me that Christ comes back to life every Sunday in the form of a bowl of crackers; and then you proceed to just eat the man, Correct?"
#5edelbrock442(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 12:19:20 AM
well i play for long periods of time
#6edelbrock442(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 1:05:52 PM
i'm kind of looking for an estimated time of how long the ps3 will last.
#7L_M_4Posted 11/23/2012 1:18:20 PM
Generally, you don't really have to worry about a slim YLoD'ing.

That said, A Fat usually lasts at least a couple years. It's pretty odd to have one last as short as yours did...
---
Psn: BloodFalcon
#8edelbrock442(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 1:33:11 PM
L_M_4 posted...

That said, A Fat usually lasts at least a couple years. It's pretty odd to have one last as short as yours did...

i believe the other one lasted much longer, like two years, then the disk reader broke.
#9Superfly Jo JoPosted 11/23/2012 1:39:10 PM
L_M_4 posted...

My 80gb backwards compatible fat lasted me 10 months. I took care of it, made sure it was clean of dust and debris, and kept in a nice cool area of my apartment. I think it just proves no matter when it happens all fat PS3s are doomed to fail at some point
---
PSN: spacedirtyjerz
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, Zelda: OoT, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Black Ops II
#10edelbrock442(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 2:59:59 PM(edited)
does anyone have a slim that YLOD'd?

i suppose it is possible that slims are built to last like the ps2 slim, which i still have for like 10 years, vs. the two fat ones i had which lasted a few months, and my still active n64.