This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How can you determine if if a game is good?

#1Still__RippinPosted 11/24/2012 8:05:35 AM
I don't want your personal opinions. I want to know way the GameFAQ's crowd thinks is criteria for a game to be considered overall good. Keep in mind that even if you hated a game, it can still be considered a fantastic game. I hate Uncharted, Journey, Resistance etc but I have enough brain power torealize they are great games. I just don't like them. So, this is what I think you need to look at to have a game considered good:

Overwhelming positive reviews from users and professionals
Tons of sales
Sales that continue long after the game comes out

Is there really any other way to determine if s game is good or not? Those 3 factors seem to prove in a majority rules type way that a game is good. And in a world where even leaders of countries are decided by this majority rules rule (somewhat at least) then why do people thin something as trivial as videogames is somehow exempt from the same type of judgment? I'm not saying these are the only 3 factors to be considered but I do say try are the most important when considering if a game is good.
Thoughts?
---
Regardless of how many people call me a troll I always speak the truth.
Currently playing- Magic 2013, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Black Ops 2, Demons Souls
#2ChaingunmasterPosted 11/24/2012 8:09:25 AM
Personally I just play em'. Nothing else works quite as well, obvious as that sounds.
---
www.lucid-lives.com (My webcomic)
PSN and XBL id: Alos88
#3cloud2556Posted 11/24/2012 8:09:51 AM
It could depend on what game genre you like. See, I loved Uncharted probably because I lean towards shooters and action games. Only you can determine if a game is "good." if you had fun playing it, then there you go. Nobody can change your opinion. You don't have to listen to the critics.
---
"Only fools believe in deterrence."
#4servb0tsPosted 11/24/2012 8:19:46 AM
Either play them, or watch streams from players who play equally as you.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner
#5NicodimusPosted 11/24/2012 8:23:34 AM
If the majority of this board trashes a game, it's probably pretty good.
---
PSN #1: Nicodimus - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Kaylee (Fighter)
PSN #2: Nicodimus222 - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Mina (Mage)
#6howdyneighbor25Posted 11/24/2012 8:25:45 AM
7.5 or higher review
Not made by a small studio (indie games basically)
Has famous voice actor (they are very passionate they only do stuff they think looks good)
Graphics aren't complete garbage
---
Pay Day. Let's roll!
Paladin of the Brotherhood of Toeh
#7FuutonElementalPosted 11/24/2012 8:39:14 AM
"Overwhelming positive reviews from users and professionals"

Is quite possibly the only way to determine whether or not a game can be considered 'good', really. Anything else is either opinion, preference, or irrelevant to the quality of the game.

"Tons of sales"

If a game sells a ton, but the general consensus from users and critics is that the game is bad, how does that make the game good? Also, sleeper hits. These games can still be generally considered to be good games, even with poor sales. I don't think sales should count toward the quality of a game for these reasons.

"Sales that continue long after the game comes out"

See above.
---
( PSN: SignOfKai ) -- Just call me Blue.
ZA WARUDO.
#8frodiusmaximusPosted 11/24/2012 8:41:23 AM
A combination of elements: Scope of the designers' vision, artistry/graphics, story&characters, sales, soundtrack, etc.
---
Wii FC: 4611 9918 6480 6380 | PSN:FrodiusMaximus
frodiusmaximus@gmail.com
#9En Sabah NurPosted 11/24/2012 8:42:08 AM
cloud2556 posted...
It could depend on what game genre you like. See, I loved Uncharted probably because I lean towards shooters and action games. Only you can determine if a game is "good." if you had fun playing it, then there you go. Nobody can change your opinion. You don't have to listen to the critics.

What TC is saying is that some games are objectively "good" or rather well-made, high quality, etc.

"Good" doesn't just mean "I like it so it must be good". I agree with TC in this respect, some things are good even if a person doesn't like them. Videogames are not pure art where everything is totally subjective. They're interactive, which means the experience changes for each person drastically based on how they choose to play, but the actual playability and production values of a game are basically objective. So watching a movie or book is a very different experience from playing a game (and this is the reason many critics don't consider videogames to be true art).

So to answer TC's question, I think you just know a game is good by seeing it and playing it and spending time with it. The Call of Duty series, for all the hate it gets, is actually very good. It has a lot of money put into it, and the gameplay is very tight, so the game can't be considered "bad" even if people think Activision is just milking a cash cow (which they may very well be, but that doesn't automatically make CoD bad, it just makes Activision greedy).

The new DMC reboot is also good, but people are hating on it solely for it being different and not what they personally want from it. They have these preconceived notions and were set on hating it from the very first footage that was ever shown. There is no satisfying or reasoning with them.

I personally don't like the Metal Gear Solid series very much (though I've played all the games). I still recognize it as a really good and high quality series, even if it's not my personal thing.

I love a lot of the games put out by Sega, Platinum, Grasshopper Manufacture, Double Fine, etc. but they still seem to really be niche titles or they're not for everyone. I wouldn't recommend them to just anyone and say they're objectively good because many people don't have that kind of taste in gaming, but I will gladly say I enjoy those games and see the merits in them.

So in a way the question is very complex, and in a way it's very simple. I can easily tell a good game from a bad (or mediocre) one, but that doesn't mean I'll like the good one more than the "lesser" game.
---
Playing - AC3, ZOE HD, X-COM, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, Doom 3 BFG, Tekken Tag 2, BF3, Darksiders 2, Sleeping Dogs, The Walking Dead, Lollipop Chainsaw, MAA
#10Still__Rippin(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2012 5:12:24 PM
What does everyone else think? People on here are always saying game X is bad or good and I'm very curious to see how they come to these conclusions.
---
Regardless of how many people call me a troll I always speak the truth.
Currently playing- Magic 2013, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Black Ops 2, Demons Souls