This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Western developers are ruining the gaming industry

#141LionheartCJPosted 11/25/2012 7:56:07 AM
Rydiafan013 posted...
a good game is a good game no matter where it's from

The only bit of sense my brain has come across in this topic, Japan and the US both make awesome and baaaad games
---
www.youtube.com/watch?v=49F4qRtNfUw - YES!!!!!, YES!!!!!!, YES!!!!!, YES!!!!!!!
#142iHateMutanTsPosted 11/25/2012 8:01:54 AM
I agree that i really miss the classic style rpg's from SNES onto the playstation.. but really of all the games you are going to rip on you guys choose the Mass Effect Trilogy? That series was excellent on all standards
#143En Sabah NurPosted 11/25/2012 8:02:11 AM
Ridiculous topic. You guys need to get out and get some fresh air. Seriously.

"Western developers are ruining the gaming industry."

So the fact that the highest rated games this gen, that subsequently also sold tons of copies, are Western-made means that they are ruining the industry? Looking at the average scores of the top 50 highest rated games on PS3, only SIX are Japanese: Demon's Souls, Metal Gear Solid 4, Street Fighter 4, Super Street Fighter 4, Shadow of the Colossus & Ico HD Collection, and Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. Demon's Souls is the only new IP on that list. Two of the games are HD collections of games from last gen. SSF4 is just a re-release of SF4 with more content. So essentially we're talking about THREE "new" games out of fifty.

Oh, and if you want to extend it to the top 100 games, you can add five more Japanese games: Dark Souls, Valkyrie Chronicles, Resident Evil 5, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and Virtua Fighter 5. 1 New IP, 3 sequels, 1 re-release with added content.

So what is your definition of "ruin"? To produce something you personally don't care for? Maybe that's how some people feel about what Japanese developers have been doing. Have you stopped to think about anyone but yourselves in all this? Or does ignorance prevent that from being an option?

I'm a person who grew up with Japanese games and loved them, but I can't sit and praise companies that shoot themselves in the foot like Capcom has been doing for years now, or Square Enix who has produced the most lacking, hollow RPGs of the decade. People only give Atlus a pass because they're so weird and offbeat that fanboys think they're getting something totally fresh and are blind to the flawed and outdated constrictions that permeate most Japanese games these days. Look at how many beloved franchises have gone downhill and are practically hated by "fans" these days.

On the other side of the coin, some companies like Platinum and Grasshopper Manufacture (and even Sega) actually DO make some unique and excellent titles that I love, but they are overlooked by gamers of all kinds. Is that justice or fairness? No. But business (and life) isn't fair. Sometimes sales aren't indicative of quality, just as quality isn't indicative of sales. I love certain Japanese and Western developers. I don't care for others.

PS. Step down from your high horses and consider that the "fans" are what is ruining the gaming industry. Developers create things, working night and day (making a game is REALLY hard) and pouring their souls into the project. They try to reach out to gamers, to listen to fan demand and feedback, to appease their followers. And, looking at how people have behaved this gen, what do they get in return? They either make a decent product with some flaws that gets a bad reputation and basically forces them OUT OF BUSINESS (or close enough). Or they have fans slapping them in the face and disrespecting them for any utterly tedious, insignificant changes they introduce like changing the main character's hair. Meanwhile I wonder how many of you actually bought games like Bayonetta, Vanquish, Shadows of the Damned, Lollipop Chainsaw, Binary Domain, etc. that weren't just cookie-cutter JRPGs or Nintendo retreads. I'm sure many of you aren't doing your parts to support the industry. You're supporting a stale genre or two, hating all the rest, and blaming everyone else for the state of the industry, meanwhile we've probably seen more amazing games this gen than any before (at least that's how I feel, and I've been playing since Atari 2600 in the 80's).

This illogical way of thinking has to stop. A good game is a good game, no matter who makes it.
---
Playing - AC3, ZOE HD, X-COM, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, Doom 3 BFG, Tekken Tag 2, BF3, Darksiders 2, Sleeping Dogs, The Walking Dead, Lollipop Chainsaw, MAA
#144AalviPosted 11/25/2012 8:19:24 AM
^I stopped reading the minute you started using ratings.

Seriously?
---
Check out my backlog: http://backloggery.com/aalvi
PSN ID: Aalvi-S|http://psnprofiles.com/Aalvi-S|3DS FC in Profile
#145En Sabah NurPosted 11/25/2012 8:35:38 AM(edited)
Aalvi posted...
^I stopped reading the minute you started using ratings.

Seriously?

Read the whole thing. It's all relevant. And that part of my post has nothing to do with the actual scores, it has to do with what have been considered "top" games this generation. You can try and discredit reviews all you want, but the truth is they carry weight and there is some degree of validity, even if very little, to them.

The fact is that certain developers, Japanese or Western, encourage stagnancy of the industry and others seek out originality so strongly that it sometimes backfires. Sometimes it's the same company that does both things. It's hard to find a happy medium in video games, but at least (most) developers are trying. How well can they do with all the mixed fan reactions though? If half of your playerbase likes new Dante, and the other half despises him, what do you do? Stick to your guns and see what happens? Or play it safe and roll over, sacrificing artistic integrity? Bioware chose the latter option, and it didn't help them out any. In fact the two guys that founded and lead the company RETIRED as a result. Thanks, "fans".

---
Playing - AC3, ZOE HD, X-COM, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, Doom 3 BFG, Tekken Tag 2, BF3, Darksiders 2, Sleeping Dogs, The Walking Dead, Lollipop Chainsaw, MAA
#146GreatTroySenseiPosted 11/25/2012 8:26:56 AM
Oh, Japan! Come save us with innovative titles like dating sims, Final Fantasy spinoffs, and Dragon Quest!
---
These are like, third dimension glasses, you know? They don't really work, though because I feel like I'm still seeing stuff in whatever dimension we live in.
#147LittleBraverPosted 11/25/2012 8:31:34 AM
Even if Western are running the show, it;s still up to the people to decide what they prefer. Japanese RPG are slowly declining and Western RPG are turning out to be more and more like Borderland and others. That being said I still prefer Eastern over Western.
#148wstfldPosted 11/25/2012 8:35:52 AM
Weeabos unite!
---
Last Played: FIFA 13 (8.5/10), CS GO (8/10)
Now Playing: Assassin's Creed 3, FIFA 13
#149setablazebyyouPosted 11/25/2012 8:35:56 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#150En Sabah NurPosted 11/25/2012 8:37:18 AM
wstfld posted...
Weeabos unite!

I almost said this but I wanted to be more constructive and maintain some credibility.
---