This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Western developers are ruining the gaming industry

#341mtjormitchPosted 11/25/2012 6:00:35 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
Arn544 posted...

Nintendo doesn't have to focus on story, they deliver top notch gameplay. Every nintendo series that is big around the world they sold on good gameplay.

It still contradicts what you said. It's proof you can have a great game that can be successful that does not focus on story.
Besides, on the flip side most people don't buy CoD for their stories...

I'm not saying you HAVE to focus on realism, but going all in on an anime story will hurt your sales.

Depends on how it's presented.

Yeah it's an art direction, but if your game has that art westerners will discriminate against it. Maybe it's not fair and it's shallow but it's what they do, and a game *without* much art direction, or none at all is better than something that repels people. An anime art direction ensures most americans won't look at it twice.

But it also ensures that most Japanese won't buy it either if you make it too Westernized and photo realistic. That's dull to them. Lacks charm and creativity. There needs to be balance I think.

What JP games always had going for them was their gameplay, but instead of reaching out to westerners via changing their art and they reached out by changing their games which is why they're losing to the west now. Western games didn't get better, Japanese games got worse.

They don't need to change their art. They just need to make better games. They need new talent and possibly get rid of old talent or studio heads (Wada & Toriyama of S-E for example they can get the boot imo)
If anything, the West needs to change their art instead of trying to do the same thing all the time. There are more examples of diverse games from Japan than the West.

Eh... Majora's Mask, Earthbound/Mother 2 and mother 3, Metroid series. Skyward Sword... in fact... any 3D zelda game and Paper Mario series overall prove nintendo can do storytelling well. Just Miyamoto hates story and strangles it out of any video game he touches because he hates making kids think... I don't even mean to sound mean about that. Nintendos best games are the ones he doesn't touch. Just saying.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#342jjars898Posted 11/25/2012 6:06:40 PM
As long as games continue to sell, the industry as a whole has a better chance of producing good games. If games DON'T sell, no new games get made. Simple economics.
---
"Mega Man power is the strength to fight! Those without strength don't evolve!" --Atlas, Mega Man Model F
#343oxnerdPosted 11/25/2012 6:11:04 PM
Its pretty much taken a Michael Bay toll on games. If it ain't pretty or it doesn't have explosions, then no ones gonna buy em.
#344Jx1010Posted 11/25/2012 6:11:09 PM
Hey decided to stop by and see if this Topic was still on...
seems so :D
---
Charlie Sheen wins!
#345Jx1010Posted 11/25/2012 6:12:35 PM
Jx1010 posted...
Western Developers ARE ruining the game industry:

- RPG wanna bes

- Too many shooters

- Excessive gore and violence

- Recycled games

- Too much focus on graphics instead of fun factor

- Dirty video game journalism

- Hype (western games are extremely hyped for no reason)

Dont waste your time contradicting these statements, they are FACTS.

If anyone doesnt agree with these Facts,
then leave your PSN so we can take this on Soul Calibur V
cmon, dont be afraid
---
Charlie Sheen wins!
#346Sevi_neyPosted 11/25/2012 6:14:30 PM
jjars898 posted...
As long as games continue to sell, the industry as a whole has a better chance of producing good games. If games DON'T sell, no new games get made. Simple economics.

New games would get made. But only by dominate companies who already have a foothold on the existing market.

Just because a dev. can reshovel something and make it look like a new product, shouldn't exempt them from creating new IP's or expand on formula
---
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9314/anunnakigray.jpg
#347Jx1010Posted 11/25/2012 6:16:33 PM
Sevi_ney posted...
Just because a dev. can reshovel something and make it look like a new product, shouldn't exempt them from creating new IP's or expand on formula

Call of Duty comes to mind
---
Charlie Sheen wins!
#348-Damien-Posted 11/25/2012 6:16:54 PM
Jx1010 posted...
Jx1010 posted...
Western Developers ARE ruining the game industry:

- RPG wanna bes

- Too many shooters

- Excessive gore and violence

- Recycled games

- Too much focus on graphics instead of fun factor

- Dirty video game journalism

- Hype (western games are extremely hyped for no reason)

Dont waste your time contradicting these statements, they are FACTS.

If anyone doesnt agree with these Facts,
then leave your PSN so we can take this on Soul Calibur V
cmon, dont be afraid

you forgot marketing money (aka bribe money)
#349Devilman_AmonPosted 11/25/2012 6:22:56 PM
mtjormitch posted...

Those 3 horror games are crap though. There is a difference between good horror games and bad.

Doesn't matter. Doesn't negate what I said.

Silent Hill 2, Dead Space, Amnesia and Lone Survivor if you want to go indie about it.

You listed a last gen game, a PC only game, and a game now ruined by CoDitis (Dead Space 3), which only further solidifies my argument. Thanks.

Why play a video game if you are not getting a story?

I dunno ask that question to the millions of people who bought Mario games over the past 30 years

Why waste time and precious brain space on Tetris crap when I can play MGS, Enslaved, Alan Wake, The Witcher 2, SMT series and even Dead Space. Why waste my time on crap like Tetris? Why waste it on puzzle games? Why?

Because there's this thing called variety. Why play the same FPS games all the time and all medival hack n slashers? You know, variety. Variety is the spice of life.
You want to limit the choices for gamers out there? Tetris is crap? What?
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#350OrangeSchweesePosted 11/25/2012 6:38:41 PM(edited)
toastedmuffin89 posted...
You forgot to say it's western developers and publishers.

The only good thing that ever came from western gaming was halo and WOW, Diablo. and Doom.

Bioware, Bethesda, Retro, Ubisoft, Dice... would all like to have a word with you.

Also, I like how gaming is ten times more amazing than it was when I was a kid (yes, ten times, at least. I did the math.) Maybe you all need to get out more.