This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Western developers are ruining the gaming industry

#361riddlebox89Posted 11/25/2012 10:18:50 PM
RioichiCooper posted...
riddlebox89 posted...
Devilman_Amon posted...
Redundant Pew Games

Someone doesn't know or comprehend what makes a game an RPG, which Mass Effect and Borderlands are.

If neither of them are RPG's, then I guess Final Fantasy is no longer an RPG, what?

JRPGs and WRPGs are two separate genres. Mass Effect is a WRPG. Final Fantasy is a JRPG. The two shouldn't be compared.

They're still RPG's kid, the J and W have nothing to do with that simple fact.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#362Jx1010Posted 11/25/2012 10:21:48 PM
riddlebox89 posted...
RioichiCooper posted...
riddlebox89 posted...
Devilman_Amon posted...
Redundant Pew Games

Someone doesn't know or comprehend what makes a game an RPG, which Mass Effect and Borderlands are.

If neither of them are RPG's, then I guess Final Fantasy is no longer an RPG, what?

JRPGs and WRPGs are two separate genres. Mass Effect is a WRPG. Final Fantasy is a JRPG. The two shouldn't be compared.

Mass Effect is a SHOOTING GAME
---
Charlie Sheen wins!
#363spectermaster14Posted 11/25/2012 10:35:42 PM
riddlebox89 posted...
RioichiCooper posted...
riddlebox89 posted...
Devilman_Amon posted...
Redundant Pew Games

Secret of Mana, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, and Tales are HACK AND SLASH ACTION GAMES.

Here we are again, claiming that the battle system or included weapons determine a game's genre.
#364riddlebox89Posted 11/25/2012 10:36:51 PM
Jx1010 posted...

Which is centered around mainly RPG style elements, making the main core of the game an RPG.

If Mass Effect is just a shooting game with RPG elements, then that makes Final Fantasy a hack and slash with RPG elements, which by the way, has this little thing, in FFX-2, make all three characters wear the Gunner outfit, or any outfit that has a gun, and what does it become? A shooting game!

Do yourself a favor and actually look up and UNDERSTAND what defines a game as an RPG before making a fool of yourself.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#365Jx1010Posted 11/25/2012 10:47:12 PM
riddlebox89 posted...
Jx1010 posted...

Which is centered around mainly RPG style elements, making the main core of the game an RPG.

If Mass Effect is just a shooting game with RPG elements, then that makes Final Fantasy a hack and slash with RPG elements, which by the way, has this little thing, in FFX-2, make all three characters wear the Gunner outfit, or any outfit that has a gun, and what does it become? A shooting game!

Do yourself a favor and actually look up and UNDERSTAND what defines a game as an RPG before making a fool of yourself.

I did not make a fool out of myself
I just realize that just because you can change weapons in a shooting game doesnt make it an RPG
---
Charlie Sheen wins!
#366synthetiksinPosted 11/26/2012 1:23:49 AM
^C'mon admit it, you've never played Mass Effect and you are just trolling.
#367toastedmuffin89(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 5:36:08 AM
synthetiksin posted...
^C'mon admit it, you've never played Mass Effect and you are just trolling.

Mass effect isn't an RPG. If you had to put it to a genre maybe you can say it has RPG elements but it's main genre is shooter.

It's 70% shooter with 30% rpg elements.

Call of duty has RPG element also but I ain't going to start calling it a RPG just because they add rpg elements to future COD games.
#368toastedmuffin89(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 5:40:42 AM(edited)
riddlebox89 posted...
Jx1010 posted...

How do you go from saying it has "rpg elements" to saying that's the core of any RPG? Are you that dam ignorant? trolling? If it has rpg elements then that's all it has is RPG elements. That doesn't make the core of the game an RPG.

You're problem is you don't know anything from personal experience. Only what you read on wikipedia.
#369ScreamingMidgetPosted 11/26/2012 6:23:53 AM
RioichiCooper posted...
riddlebox89 posted...
Devilman_Amon posted...
Redundant Pew Games

They are not seperate genres. It's called the "RPG" genre. Mass Effect is a TPS with RPG elements. Most FFs are turn-based RPGs.
#370RioichiCooperPosted 11/26/2012 6:29:56 AM
ScreamingMidget posted...
RioichiCooper posted...

They are not seperate genres. It's called the "RPG" genre. Mass Effect is a TPS with RPG elements. Most FFs are turn-based RPGs.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/western-japanese-rpgs-part-1
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/western-japanese-rpgs-part-2
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/western-japanese-rpgs-part-3

Not that I think you'll actually watch them, but here they are.
---
Extra Credits should be required viewing for GameFAQs members.