This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Western developers are ruining the gaming industry

#411spectermaster14Posted 11/26/2012 9:07:15 PM(edited)
"You and I BOTH know that plenty of anime that comes out of Japan is"

I know that plenty of ANYTHING is crap. 90% of all video games are crap. 90% of almost every bookstore shelf is crap. 90% of any movie out there is crap.

What I do know is that someone like you who seriously thinks that anything made by Isakura or Takahata is "cutesy" knows absolutely nothing about Japan, and should never, ever, ever be commenting on anything from that region.

Not to take sides, but he never said their work was cutesy. I don't think this nonexistant claim has anything to do with his knowledge of the nation's culture. If only because, as he said, cartoons =/= the entirety of a country's culture. Also, are we talking about Isao Takahata? Because My Neighbors the Yamadas is cute as ****. Love the look of it to death BECAUSE of that, but it's still cute.

EDIT: Wait a second... Didn't he work on Kiki's Delivery Service, too? Did you know anything about his work beyond Grave of the Fireflies?
#412THMBZDownGNZUpPosted 11/26/2012 9:13:20 PM
How has this topic managed to go this far? Is there this much dissent regarding Western and Japanese games?

Western developers and their games are absolutely the best games to have released for the past couple generations. Anyone who thinks otherwise either follows Japanese culture blindly or is trolling. Pick your poison.
#413mtjormitchPosted 11/26/2012 9:37:43 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...

I know that plenty of ANYTHING is crap. 90% of all video games are crap. 90% of almost every bookstore shelf is crap. 90% of any movie out there is crap.

What I do know is that someone like you who seriously thinks that anything made by Isakura or Takahata is "cutesy" knows absolutely nothing about Japan, and should never, ever, ever be commenting on anything from that region.

Okay. I agree with you. BUT BREATHE! Seriously. I can hear you breathing really heavy through the screen at that guy. Which I will also agree is ignorant. But dude... play a video game. Come back and then ream his butt with a ENTIRE post of proof. Just take a break first.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#414mtjormitchPosted 11/26/2012 9:42:53 PM
THMBZDownGNZUp posted...
How has this topic managed to go this far? Is there this much dissent regarding Western and Japanese games?

Western developers and their games are absolutely the best games to have released for the past couple generations. Anyone who thinks otherwise either follows Japanese culture blindly or is trolling. Pick your poison.

WRPG's have been either eh to great, to horrible. Right now with Mass Effect 3 being worse than FF13 ever was. People are abandoning the WRPG's due to lack of quality within them. All the while JRPG's are managing to get a small footnote with every great game they keep releasing.

Honestly imo. WRPG's are also soulless a lot of times. While JRPG's can have TO MUCH stuff in them. So there is that.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#415mtjormitchPosted 11/26/2012 9:43:57 PM
spectermaster14 posted...

Not to take sides, but he never said their work was cutesy. I don't think this nonexistant claim has anything to do with his knowledge of the nation's culture. If only because, as he said, cartoons =/= the entirety of a country's culture. Also, are we talking about Isao Takahata? Because My Neighbors the Yamadas is cute as ****. Love the look of it to death BECAUSE of that, but it's still cute.

EDIT: Wait a second... Didn't he work on Kiki's Delivery Service, too? Did you know anything about his work beyond Grave of the Fireflies?

I knew his work from watching my brothers copy of Princess mononoke. While I now am starting to get his movies with my favorite being Nausicaa. Just saying.
---
#416spectermaster14Posted 11/26/2012 9:49:49 PM
spectermaster14 posted...

I knew his work from watching my brothers copy of Princess mononoke. While I now am starting to get his movies with my favorite being Nausicaa. Just saying.

Oh he's a fantastic director and his musical work and other stuff with Ghibli is great, but to act like all his work is profound and somehow excuses crappy cartoons is just a bit out there. What'd he do on Nausicaa, by the way? Always thought Miyazaki directed that one. I know one of them has a boner for environmentalism.
#417P00DGEPosted 11/26/2012 9:52:16 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...

When the hell did I even mention Isakura or Takahata? I haven't mentioned or alluded to either of them in any of my posts. You are the one that keeps screaming their name over and over again....
#418kobalobasileusPosted 11/26/2012 10:34:41 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
P00DGE posted...
To add to that, most regular Japanese citizens look down slightly on otaku. They view them as odd... abnormal even. There has been quite a bit of backlash in the country towards them.

Well many are shut ins and some of those shut ins have retorted back violently. I heard one guy kidnapped a girl for like nine years and another kid locked himself in a kitchen for months on end (kinda like now necro000 locks himself away). There's another phrase for that extremity though I forgot whats its called.

It's called hikikomori.
#419Devilman_AmonPosted 11/26/2012 10:35:50 PM
kobalobasileus posted...

It's called hikikomori.

Ah yeah thats it thanks
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#420wstfldPosted 11/26/2012 10:43:30 PM
We should just crown king weeabo of the gf ps3 board. Quick everyone tell someone they don't know what they're talking about while weaving in japanese words or people.
---
Last Played: FIFA 13 (8.5/10), CS GO (8/10)
Now Playing: Assassin's Creed 3, FIFA 13