This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Western developers are ruining the gaming industry

#451GreatTroySenseiPosted 11/27/2012 12:07:40 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...
"He actually did make good points though. Especially the bit about it being mainstream in Japan. "

No, he didn't. He's a pretentious know it all who THINKS that the few friends from Japan that he can get to pay attention to him represent the entire spectrum of the nation, and he CONTINUES to ignore everything said to him that obliterates in every way, shape or form, the ridiculous idiocy that he spews here in this forum.

And you BELIEVE him, because you don't know any better. I doubt he'd know the works of Hasekura, Kamiyama, Takahata, Ozo or Ichikawa if they were thrown at him.

Just because you have a Japanese friend or two doesn't make you an expert, nor does it mean your experiences represent the country as a whole.

And for the person talking about sales grosses-
Art house and independent films here in the US gross a tiny fraction of the JJ Abrams blockbusters. Would you consider them unimportant or "just for kids"?

Yo, I'ma let you finish but I've been living and working in Taiwan for half a decade, and Japanese culture, both niche and mainstream has a pervasive and heavy-handed influence on popular culture here. World history and all. Anyway, Hayao Miyazaki has the greatest animes of all time. OF ALL TIME.

But... he's the exception, not the rule. He's the Madworld to Wii's shovelware library; the Empire Strikes Back to George Lucas.

Most Japanese couldn't name most anime/manga creators. They wouldn't know Hideyaki Anno way most Americans wouldn't know Denny O'Neal. Yes, even though we all watched Dark Knight, yes even though I've seen students of mine with Hello Kitty x Evangelion notepads.

I'm sorry, but Japan isn't a magical land waiting idly to validate your interests and pat you on the head as she tells you that you were the hippest kid all along.

Japan has the same greedy, self-important media of every other first world nation. Sometimes it's awesome [oh hi there, Takashi Miike] but most times it's absolutely dreck [their only non-animated TV shows of even a little worth in the past decade were a flight-attendant school drama called "Attention Please" and a reality show about a dog and monkey who solved problems as a pair.]

Same as America. For every 'Breaking Bad' you have twenty or thirty 'Two and Half Men' with as large, or larger, an audience.

Don't get so butthurt about it. I'm helping you grow, man. Take my hand on this magic carpet ride into maturity. Save some cash, take a trip to Japan next summer, get your bang on, buy some nerdy souvenirs... get the whole thing out of your system, and find yourself a more balanced person.

/speaking from experience. /topic.

(Yes, it became about our personal squabble; the RPG debate got stupid 5 pages ago.)
---
These are like, third dimension glasses, you know? They don't really work, though because I feel like I'm still seeing stuff in whatever dimension we live in.
#452Devilman_AmonPosted 11/27/2012 12:09:39 PM
Oh and Guitar Hero is not original. It's a rip off of Guitar Freaks/Drum Freaks/Beatmania.
If Konami hadn't had their head up their ass and actually localized the series in the late 90's like they were supposed to, instead of just import PS1/PS2 and random arcades, then there would be no need for Guitar Hero.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#453wh0_kn0wsPosted 11/27/2012 12:15:29 PM
GreatTroySensei posted...
(Yes, it became about our personal squabble; the RPG debate got stupid 13 years ago)

---
it's simple. just be nice.
#454GreatTroySenseiPosted 11/27/2012 12:16:48 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
Oh and Guitar Hero is not original. It's a rip off of Guitar Freaks/Drum Freaks/Beatmania.
If Konami hadn't had their head up their ass and actually localized the series in the late 90's like they were supposed to, instead of just import PS1/PS2 and random arcades, then there would be no need for Guitar Hero.

The reason Guitar Hero succeeded was the licensed Western music. Konami is pretty bad at that, so they still might've failed. But yeah, they should've tried.
---
These are like, third dimension glasses, you know? They don't really work, though because I feel like I'm still seeing stuff in whatever dimension we live in.
#455IHeartMetroidPosted 11/27/2012 12:21:14 PM
"Yo, I'ma let you finish but "

Oh look- a pathetic, moronic, outdated pop culture reference, followed by "Taiwan = Japan".

And you think that somehow earns you debate points?

Maybe I'm just tired because it's late, but people here just seem to be getting stupider by the minute. I'm going to bed.
#456Devilman_AmonPosted 11/27/2012 12:23:36 PM

The reason Guitar Hero succeeded was the licensed Western music. Konami is pretty bad at that, so they still might've failed. But yeah, they should've tried.

You can't say they're bad at it if they never tried. The market was open they didn't strike at the right opportunity and someone else jumped in with their idea.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#457Devilman_AmonPosted 11/27/2012 12:26:08 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...

Oh look- a pathetic, moronic, outdated pop culture reference, followed by "Taiwan = Japan".

Maybe I'm just tired because it's late, but people here just seem to be getting stupider by the minute. I'm going to bed.

I'll be honest; he didn't say Taiwan before so I was under the assumption he was living in Japan. So he might have some valid points but he could be around some weeaboos in Taiwan just as you can find weeaboos in other countries. And it's not like Taiwan has their own real sense of identity they probably import a hell of a lot of stuff and assimilate other modern culture trends into their own.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#458GreatTroySenseiPosted 11/27/2012 12:33:20 PM(edited)
Devilman_Amon posted...

You can't say they're bad at it if they never tried. The market was open they didn't strike at the right opportunity and someone else jumped in with their idea.

They tried with DDR and constantly included very few songs, too little too late. Also, I take an indescribable amount of offense at your claim that Taiwan has no identity. Jesus effing christ, kids - get on a plane sometime.
---
#459GreatTroySenseiPosted 11/27/2012 12:39:53 PM(edited)
IHeartMetroid posted...

No, not followed by Taiwan = Japan; followed by "'I've actually dealt firsthand with and currently live around this culture. I have a ton of firsthand experience with it, and it's not your imaginary mecca." Reading my post would've taken you further than running away from it. I can guarantee you that Taiwan has a much larger base of Japanese culture than your college anime club from historical runoff alone.

I'm practically daring you to drop the bomb that you live in Japan, because if you did I could guarantee that - with an attitude like your - most of the Japanese people you know hate you. Perhaps quietly, but it'd be there.

But hey- if you enjoy living in delusion, then have fun with that. I'm about as done feeling altruistic as you are losing the argument.

Have fun clutching your limited edition love+ pillow tonight, because any real Japanese girl you meet isn't gonna want to touch you for fear of catching weeaboo.
---
#460Devilman_AmonPosted 11/27/2012 12:35:02 PM

They tried with DDR and constantly included very few songs, too little too late. Also, I take an indescribable amoutn of offense at your claim that Taiwan has no identity. Jesus effing christ, kids - get on a plan sometime.

DDR was very popular regardless; the missing link was the guitar which the already had and never tried to market to the West.

And my point was that I thought you were commenting from a current existing hands on experience of being in Japan...

Anyways what is Taiwan known for then other than exporting cheap products? They are obviously not that influential of a country in comparison to the others.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)