This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Video Games as art

#11mad_hax_manPosted 11/25/2012 4:35:13 AM
PoorCountry posted...
mad_hax_man posted...
I honestly wouldn't know. I would say that they have artistic aspects, and have the potential to be a very strong story telling medium, but in general they just aren't up to the same level as film, literature etc

Even bad art is art.

People think of art as a lofty title bestowed only upon the greatest of creative expressions; hence, art must be good. That isn't true. Art can suck, just like Uwe Boll's films. But if you go with that definition, then you can't blanket-label literature and film as art -- you'd have to do it on a case-by-case basis. I stand with the idea that any creative output is art.

I know that, I just don't know whether VG by their interactive, goal orientated nature can be considered art. They can be a great way of telling stories, and deserve to be respected. but that doesn't inherently make them art
---
"Hey bridesmaid, love the beard! Give's me something to hang onto!!"- Lord Flasheart
#12PoorCountryPosted 11/25/2012 4:58:58 AM
mad_hax_man posted...
PoorCountry posted...
mad_hax_man posted...
I honestly wouldn't know. I would say that they have artistic aspects, and have the potential to be a very strong story telling medium, but in general they just aren't up to the same level as film, literature etc

Even bad art is art.

People think of art as a lofty title bestowed only upon the greatest of creative expressions; hence, art must be good. That isn't true. Art can suck, just like Uwe Boll's films. But if you go with that definition, then you can't blanket-label literature and film as art -- you'd have to do it on a case-by-case basis. I stand with the idea that any creative output is art.

I know that, I just don't know whether VG by their interactive, goal orientated nature can be considered art. They can be a great way of telling stories, and deserve to be respected. but that doesn't inherently make them art

I don't see the connection. Interactivity and objectives can't be conducive to, complemented, or founded by creativity? I guess I'm having trouble seeing why you made this point in response to my post, when the only exclusive aspect of it is the overlying "no."
#13ScreamingMidgetPosted 11/25/2012 5:01:31 AM
Not every game but I'd consider many to be art.
#14white windPosted 11/25/2012 5:18:27 AM
every shape is an art and every movement is sport
---
PSN: ghattas
#15Black_AssassinPosted 11/25/2012 6:06:17 AM
Definition of art
noun
1 [mass noun] the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power:

Oxford English dictionary definition. Discuss.
#16VanderZooPosted 11/25/2012 6:17:33 AM
I think it's a little pretentious to call video games art, you have to draw the line between entertainment and art. I have a very simple rule: was it made to make a profit, to entertain, or to be appreciated?

Most games are the first two.
#17Evel138Posted 11/25/2012 6:36:49 AM
I use to be a strong advocate of the idea that video games were art.

THEN, Mass Effect 3 happened and when you have a community rallying behind a guy thats petitioning the Federal Trade Commission for ***** sake......the culture behind gaming, as it currently exists, will not allow video games to ever be considered art imho.

That one event sent the "video games / art" concept back to the stone ages.

Video games are NOT art.....no, they're little more than a commercial product that apparently MUST come with some guarantee of satisfaction.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Mad Moxxi
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=evel138#/d5g9oo0
#18Devilman_AmonPosted 11/25/2012 6:42:06 AM
Video games are appreciated primarily for how they are played aka their gameplay; not how they look. You look at art. You play a game.

Of course this gen, publisher would have you think otherwise with the heavy push on graphics but shallow gameplay....
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#19Mutant1988Posted 11/25/2012 6:51:51 AM
It's art if it's intended as art and/or perceived as art.

If neither, it just is a thing. And that's more than enough for most things.

It doesn't negate the creative merit to not call something art, because whatever it is, it's an expression of creativity by those that made it.

So yeah, let's just say that art is entirely subjective and leave it at that.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#20Cobra1010Posted 11/25/2012 6:54:05 AM
I dont consider games like call of duty are art but games like braid are definitely are
---
Playing: Guild Wars 2, BFBC2, Age of Empires Online
--Yoichi Wada needs to be fired--