This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Video Games as art

#31Sain_of_CaelinPosted 11/25/2012 6:21:43 PM
I can understand no to an extent. But selectively choosing art? These people do not understand much about art.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/sainthegoo
PSN: KiwiTheGoo
#32mrhappyguy12345Posted 11/25/2012 6:22:07 PM
SotC is most definitely art.
---
What happened to happy, non-jaded gamers?
#33-BrokenSpiral-Posted 11/25/2012 6:33:09 PM
it's art, but I don't see them being as appreciated or widely appreciated for it as other mediums
---
Tales only wishes it could match Ys. - lennethsoki <=== QFT
Rinoa Heartilly = My most hated RPG character
#34flagg2kplusPosted 11/25/2012 6:42:13 PM
Games can be art, but most arent.

The same with films. Some movies are art most are not.

---
My favorite game of the year
http://youtu.be/lTuayBk_NyY
#35Sain_of_CaelinPosted 11/25/2012 6:43:27 PM
Games can be art, but most arent.

The same with films. Some movies are art most are not.

Art is not subjective. A medium is either artistic or not. GOOD art is subjective though, sure.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/sainthegoo
PSN: KiwiTheGoo
#36BurgerTime79Posted 11/25/2012 6:59:30 PM
PoorCountry posted...
BurgerTime79 posted...
PoorCountry posted...
Just dumb.

Excuse me? How about you explain and form a platform for debate instead of just insulting.

You shot yourself in the foot by making a strong case for it being art and then backing off at the end for no apparent reason. I think you wimped out because you want what people consider a respectable opinion and couldn't bring yourself to cross over.

I didn't back off. Don't insult me or assume my intent.
Video games as a product themselves are not art. Everything that goes into them is the art. You can certainly have a game that is incredibly artistic, but it's the people that put the time into creating the audio and visuals of the game that are the artists, and where the art actually comes from.
I'm not going to flat out say that video games aren't art, because that discredits the people who put so much work into it. Video games as the medium that you play is artistic, but it's not a painting or sculpture.
And I will go as far as to say the same thing with movies, as much as Ebert will disagree. Gone With The Wind and Dude Where's Your Car can't be both lumped into being art, the same way ICO and Mortal Kombat can't be.
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking
#37SoaringDivePosted 11/25/2012 7:01:29 PM
Yes, for the most part. It depends on what they were trying to accomplish with the game.

If they just wanted some competitive multiplayer, then no - it's just competitive multiplayer, not some form of expression. It'd be more like a "digital sport" than a form of interactive art.

But the moment there's some kind of expression and design and feeling into the game, then instantly it is art to me, just like a film or your ****y tastes in music (every last one of you!!).
---
PM me if you add me (I won't bite... hard)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#38kriztoferPosted 11/25/2012 7:01:34 PM
The things that go into the games like graphics, music and story are
all art, so why can't games themselves be art?
---
reverbnation.com/crestfallenstill
#39PoorCountryPosted 11/25/2012 10:53:08 PM
BurgerTime79 posted...
PoorCountry posted...
BurgerTime79 posted...
PoorCountry posted...
Just dumb.

Excuse me? How about you explain and form a platform for debate instead of just insulting.

You shot yourself in the foot by making a strong case for it being art and then backing off at the end for no apparent reason. I think you wimped out because you want what people consider a respectable opinion and couldn't bring yourself to cross over.

I didn't back off. Don't insult me or assume my intent.
Video games as a product themselves are not art. Everything that goes into them is the art. You can certainly have a game that is incredibly artistic, but it's the people that put the time into creating the audio and visuals of the game that are the artists, and where the art actually comes from.
I'm not going to flat out say that video games aren't art, because that discredits the people who put so much work into it. Video games as the medium that you play is artistic, but it's not a painting or sculpture.
And I will go as far as to say the same thing with movies, as much as Ebert will disagree. Gone With The Wind and Dude Where's Your Car can't be both lumped into being art, the same way ICO and Mortal Kombat can't be.

The first part of that sounds semantic. Artistic, but not art itself? If you consider the components making the game art, and the assembly of these components into an artistic vision art, then where does the distinction lie?

To the second part, you're falling into the same trap everyone else is. Art doesn't have to be good.
#40revenginePosted 11/25/2012 10:58:48 PM
They're an entertainment medium which may (or may not, depending on your opinion) contain artistic elements. Scanning through a game's credits, you will notice the word "artist" used a lot. Not sure if that means the end product must therefor be art, but it does mean creating it requires artistic talent.
---
"It would be the stupid comment about the a-bombs that the US dropped on Japan that is offensive."