This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tomb Raider details - Lara wont be able to swim and there's regenerating health

#31kel25Posted 11/25/2012 5:11:28 PM
I really don't know why so many people are upset with this. Regenerating health has pretty much been an industry standard for years. Nearly every game that has a health system has regenerating health, even RPGs are doing it now.

As for no swimming, has there ever been an underwater level that people liked? Typically the swimming section is the worst part of any game.
#32Devilman_AmonPosted 11/25/2012 5:15:35 PM
kel25 posted...

As for no swimming, has there ever been an underwater level that people liked? Typically the swimming section is the worst part of any game.

Yeah maybe if you'r forced into a level to swim but this game is supposed to have mini sandbox hubs so swimming should at least be a viable option as opposed to being forced to do it like in the past. Plus, she's trying to survive on an island so the game gives you the ability to hunt. Why hunt for food if you can auto regen?

The CoD influence casualization/Ruination this gen continues as usual....
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#33spooiePosted 11/25/2012 5:21:54 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
spooie posted...

Oddly enough, I thought the original PS1 games were awful

You played them when they first came out? If so, what were you comparing them to back in the day? Danger Girl? Spawn PS1? There weren't too many comparible games back then

I played some of the original and demos of the second and third.

Back then, it was pretty much Tomb Raider and Resident Evil as the two big PS1 games that were getting the acclaim. One or the other was gonna win people over and I went with Resident Evil. People complain (today) about Resident Evil's tank controls, but I found them much better than Tomb Raider's controls... or Tomb Raider's graphics, quite honestly. The fact that Lara was often shooting off-screen and you couldn't see what you we hitting was also kind of annoying, though I've come to accept it more in later generation games.

Back then I was enjoying the likes of Warhawk, Jumping Flash 2! and Twisted Metal 2, amongst other titles.

I was never too big on Todd McFarlane fan, so, no Spawn for me. (In retrospect, the SNES Spawn game was "okay"). Danger Girl I've never played or read... but the game came out something like 4 or 5 years after Tomb Raider. I'm pretty sure the Dreamcast or even the PS2 was out by then.
---
Owner of The NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, SMS, GEN, TG16, PSX, PS2, PS3, XBOX, 360, GB, GBC, GBA SP, GB Micro, DS, DSLite, PSP and a lot of crappy games. --BLINGO!
#34PhaseBlack(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 5:46:16 PM
BlueSkies7776 posted...
Uncharted never really had swimming. You could swim but only briefly, you could never really dive or anything.

Uh what? You were dived and swimming under water when the ship is sinking in Uncharted 3. Outside of tha Naughty Dog made a swimming animation and made the character react in water, none of which the Tomb Raid developers cared to do. It just comes off as incredibly lazy
---
PSVita & 3DS
#35hockeybub89Posted 11/25/2012 5:46:22 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...

Derp it has health regen! That makes it a ripoff of a military twitch FPS!

Casual is another one of those words that I am sick and tired of hearing this gen.

Just because you could beat a 3 hour SNES game on its ridiculously hard difficulties they had to implement to pad game length and hide lack of content since the developers had primitive technology to work with doesn't make you hardcore. Those types of words don't apply to motherloving video games. I can beat those games too, but I would never wax nostalgic about the days when gamers were tough or some nonsense.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#36CronoDynePosted 11/25/2012 5:50:48 PM
I love how the TC criticizes this game for changing the gameplay mechanics, yet makes topic after topic praising the new R&C game for having "depth."
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#37spooiePosted 11/25/2012 5:57:41 PM
hockeybub89 posted...
Devilman_Amon posted...

Derp it has health regen! That makes it a ripoff of a military twitch FPS!

Casual is another one of those words that I am sick and tired of hearing this gen.

Just because you could beat a 3 hour SNES game on its ridiculously hard difficulties they had to implement to pad game length and hide lack of content since the developers had primitive technology to work with doesn't make you hardcore. Those types of words don't apply to motherloving video games. I can beat those games too, but I would never wax nostalgic about the days when gamers were tough or some nonsense.

I'm not gonna say you're right OR wrong... but in all fairness, those 30-minute/3 hour SNES games had something that is relatively missing from many of today's games: Replay Value. One of the reasons online is in pretty much every game... because the Single Player campaigns are often so short and uninspired for many games that the constant spontaneity of playing online gives people the replay experience missing from the actual game.

Of course, I haven't played the new Tomb Raider or the latest CoD games, so I can't state one way or another the veracity of such a statement... but I do agree that anyone thinking they're a "hardcore" ANYTHING gamer is B.S.
---
Owner of The NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, SMS, GEN, TG16, PSX, PS2, PS3, XBOX, 360, GB, GBC, GBA SP, GB Micro, DS, DSLite, PSP and a lot of crappy games. --BLINGO!
#38Dillon360Posted 11/25/2012 6:05:41 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
KevoCSCS posted...
Is there nudity?

Yes but only deer nudity

Truth be told, this is the best kind of nudity...
---
The Walking Dead = Game of the Year
#39majin nemesisPosted 11/25/2012 6:21:12 PM
and one more game ruined
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#40PhaseBlack(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 7:03:14 PM
CronoDyne posted...
I love how the TC criticizes this game for changing the gameplay mechanics, yet makes topic after topic praising the new R&C game for having "depth."

Lacking any sort of swimming is changing the mechanics? And health regeneration severely detracts from Lara Croft trying to survive
---
PSVita & 3DS