This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Finally getting a PS3, looking for non-conventional recommendations

#1JenniferTatePosted 11/25/2012 11:41:39 PM
I've been pretty slow about making the jump from DVD to Blu-ray, no real reason other than I've been pretty Netflix sustained the past few years and the Xbox suited most of my needs - not knocking Sony's exclusives at all, it's just the console I had and cross-platform works more often than not. I do like collecting films, though, and I've noticed DVD is finally losing shelf space, and at least here in Canada (where I moved two years ago), Blu-ray seems on par if not more affordable than DVD Pricing. I was State-side this weekend and noticed a lot of the DVDs I wanted at Best Buy's sale were gone, but plenty of Blu-ray combo packs, so at my spouse's urging, we stocked up on some long held-off purchases.

We didn't get a player yet, since we didn't don't need it right away, but it opened the door for me to go, "Y'know, PS3 has one built right in, and since most of these look to run $100+ anyway..." And it caught.

I'm looking forward to Infamous and Uncharted, but there are titles like Heavenly Sword that have caught my eye since they came out. Are there any other games in the back catalog that I should be aware of?

I mainly like third person shooters or platformers (Tomb Raider is my biggest anticipated title), but am open to any must-experience titles.

Thanks!
---
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think we should worship the sun and moon as powerful gods, and fear them.
#2XeN0Cid3Posted 11/26/2012 2:44:10 AM
folklore
---
SC2:http://www.youtube.com/genogaming
#3RintonPosted 11/26/2012 2:50:16 AM
Dark Souls.
#4TheTenth10Posted 11/26/2012 4:02:10 AM
Bioshock
Enchanted arms (pretty basic JRPG but some nice semi tactical turn based gameplay)
Marvel ultimate alliance 1

Blu-ray :
Blade runner
Dark crystal
Gone with the wind
#5Power TurtlePosted 11/26/2012 4:48:11 AM(edited)
Uncharted and Infamous as you said.
Prototype is worth a mention, i didnt like it, but its pretty popular.
Starhawk and Twisted Metal are very overlooked, but pretty fun.
LittleBigPlanet. I think it is okay, but every girl i know cant stop playing it..
Dont forget PSASBR!
There are alot of Ratchet and Clank games too.

Thats a nice list of exclusives, if i do say so myself :)
Good luck and happy gaming!

Edit- Also, yeah, Heavenly Sword is really nice, albeit short.
And i guess i should recommend all the God of Wars if that type of game interests you.
#6JenniferTate(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 12:26:51 PM
Awesome recommendations and memory jogging, thanks a lot!
---
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think we should worship the sun and moon as powerful gods, and fear them.
#7YoshiMan123Posted 11/26/2012 12:29:12 PM
Ratchet & Clank is a great platforming series.
---
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep,and you weep alone."
PSN: YoshiMan123 - Survivor of the ApocalyPS3 and CollaPS3
#8DocDeliciousPosted 11/26/2012 12:42:03 PM
AlkalineKitten posted...
I mainly like third person shooters or platformers

Shooters;
Vanquish
Shadows of the Damned
Valkyria Chronicles
Yakuza Series
Binary Domain
Singularity

Platformers;
Ratchet & Clank
Little Big Planet
De Blob

Other;
Folklore
Resonance of Fate
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International

Some other s*** I can't think of...
---
Playing - Borderlands 2, Hitman Absolution, Vanquish, MGS HD Col, Resonance of Fate, Monster Hunter FU, Demon's Souls, Shadows of the Damned
PSN: DocDelicious
#9SHIBBYMANPosted 11/26/2012 12:56:55 PM
The next BIG game for the PS3 is The Last of US. Look it up, its being made by the studio that made the Uncharted games and is, of coarse, a PS3 exclusive. As you mentioned the Uncharted games are amazing. And the Infamous games are a real treat as well! Other "PS3 Only" titles to check out are ;

Heavy Rain, more like an in depth interactive story. It has the best story of any game to date and really, I think is the future of gaming story wise. You play four different people throughout the story all centered around a missing kid and a hunt for a serial killer. Thing is if one or all of your characters die, they die. Thats it for them, the story constantly changes to how you play. And is quite breathtaking. That rush of knowing you can die or get arrested and there's not restart or load save.

God of War 3 - If you think Heavenly Sword looks good< which it is a fun game, God of War 3 in the bar of actions hack n slash titles.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - A lot of cutscenes to wrap up this huge story, but the actual game play is still some of the best in this generation.

Demon Soul's - Great RPG, challenges you throughout and is unforgiving. I know a lot of people who still plays this over Dark Souls.

Gran Turismo 5 - I know it didnt get superb reviews at launch, but over the last 2 years the added a lot though free patches, and they are still updating. To me this is the best simulation racer ever. I own an Xbox and love the Forza games, but the sheer amount of content is staggering.

MLB The Show - If you like baseball at all or like sports. MLB The Show is the best sports game this generation. It wipes the floor with its cross platform rival MLB2K. And the amount of teams and customizations, make you wonder why madden can't do this."
---
JackAttack6586 I KILL ALL GINGERS IN FALLOUT 3
Every day I wear a bandana for unlimited ammo
#10JenniferTate(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 2:18:10 PM
I forgot about The Last of Us and Folklore.

I definitely want to wrap up God Of War, and I'm looking forward to Sly Cooper.
---