This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

the anti japanese agenda with western reviewers is sickening.

#11ThePatrickPosted 11/26/2012 12:50:19 PM
Well yeah.

I think Western gaming journalism exploded with Western gaming, so I think there is a clear bias and I do think it's contributed to the emphasis on Western gaming these days (tho' also been shaped by it at the same time).

I don't think they have an "agenda," really, tho'.
---
Ryuuga Gotoku (Yakuza) series text FAQs available at GameFAQs
PSN: hatoriki_kai, XBL: hatoriki, YouTube: ryled, Twitter: @Hatoriki, Me: Bored
#12Still__RippinPosted 11/26/2012 12:52:46 PM
Iwas going to post an actual response
---
Regardless of how many people call me a troll I always speak the truth.
Currently playing- Magic 2013, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Black Ops 2, Demons Souls
#13theshovellerPosted 11/26/2012 12:52:59 PM
The pro-Japanese gamers hate non-Japanese games. The pro-Western gamers hate Japanese games. Both people have it bad, because they see things in an entirely "us versus them" mindset - they don't concede that there are games on both sides fo the "region divide" that are amazing, no matter what their preferences.

It's the same thing as "cake v. pie," "pirates v. ninjas," and "chocolate v. peanut butter." Both are good, both are bad, both have strengths, both have weaknesses. Arguing about "which is better" is as stupid as seeing which is more painful - hitting yourself in the head with a hammer, or hitting yourself in the crotch with a hammer.
#14kel25Posted 11/26/2012 1:07:12 PM
I really hate to say it but I kind of agree with the reviewers. In all of the previous generations I've loved the Japanese games but they really haven't released much that I've enjoyed this generation while the Western Developers haven been releasing the games I really enjoyed.

I thought Demon's Souls was just a poor copy of a western style RPG with boring combat and no story. Nier was completely forgettable. Cross Edge, Final Fantasy XIII, and so many others were complete pieces of $%^*. The best Japanese games I've played this generation were White Knight Chronicles and Valkyria Chronicles and neither of those games were all that great.

When I look at my gaming shelf for this generation there are almost no Japanese games but it is filled with Western games, such as Bioshock, Borderlands, Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age, inFamous, Fallout, Uncharted, Deus Ex...

What I don't agree about is reviewers giving games (Japanese or otherwise) low marks for doing the same old thing when they let high profile games (CoD or Halo) get away with it.
#15Devilman_AmonPosted 11/26/2012 1:11:23 PM
theshoveller posted...
The pro-Japanese gamers hate non-Japanese games. The pro-Western gamers hate Japanese games. Both people have it bad, because they see things in an entirely "us versus them" mindset - they don't concede that there are games on both sides fo the "region divide" that are amazing, no matter what their preferences.

It's the same thing as "cake v. pie," "pirates v. ninjas," and "chocolate v. peanut butter." Both are good, both are bad, both have strengths, both have weaknesses. Arguing about "which is better" is as stupid as seeing which is more painful - hitting yourself in the head with a hammer, or hitting yourself in the crotch with a hammer.

Nice generalizing but no. If a game is good people buy it regardless.

You'd be surprised at the list of Western games I actually own...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#16CronoDynePosted 11/26/2012 1:17:16 PM(edited)
The utter bias of professional American reviewers is absolutely disgusting. They cherry pick and grossly over exaggerate every flaw they can find. Nearly every review follows the same cookie cutter formula, complaining about "more of the same" gameplay, "archaic" battle systems, and "cliche" storylines. Yet the completely refuse to acknowledge this in any other game. A WRPG that follows paint-by-numbers light fantasy stories and tropes? Never criticized. A FPS that has the same gameplay year in year out? Never criticized. The hypocrisy is golden. It's gotten so bad that places like IGN will not think twice about posting a review on something like Atelier Rorona that claims there's child molestation jokes. And what's worse is they don't even realize their unjustified hated of anything Japanese. They might as well wear a sign reading, "yes, I hate Japanese games and no, I won't give them a fair review."
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#17majin nemesisPosted 11/26/2012 1:28:09 PM
what i don't understand is why do people still care about reviewers on this day an age when we have internet where we can watch trailer and gameplay videos on youtube and we can also ask the gamers opinons on sites like right here on Gamefaqs and use that to form your own opinion
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#18FiendingHardPosted 11/26/2012 1:29:40 PM
MGS gets called out? Guess that must be why MGS4 got 10s everywhere even though objectively speaking, no game is perfect.

Also inb4100+posts
---
What is faith then but persistent hope in the face of relentless doubt.
Now Playing: Black Ops 2, Zone of the Enders HD Collection, Hell Yeah!, Final Fantasy 9
#19kel25Posted 11/26/2012 1:34:38 PM
majin nemesis posted...
what i don't understand is why do people still care about reviewers on this day an age when we have internet where we can watch trailer and gameplay videos on youtube and we can also ask the gamers opinons on sites like right here on Gamefaqs and use that to form your own opinion

I agree that watching gameplay videos or trailers can be a good way to judge a game but asking gamers is about the worst thing you can do when it comes to asking about the opinion of a game, especially on this site and its countless trolls.

When you ask a gamer about a new game they will typically say "It's the greatest/worst game ever made." and never go into any real detail about why they feel that way. You are better off trying to find a reviewer that shares similar taste and look at what they say about a game and not what number they give it.
#20OtakuGameraPosted 11/26/2012 1:44:19 PM

unfortunately review scores do factor in to game sales, this is how i think people view review scores

<8 = "meh, i'll wait until it's 20$"
8-8.9 = "this might be good, i think i'll pick it up"
>9 = "omg, day 1"
---
oh admonishing melody, arise in the name of the necromancer!!! MYSTIC CAGE!!! - blast you into oblivion :P