This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

the anti japanese agenda with western reviewers is sickening.

#21Devilman_AmonPosted 11/26/2012 12:46:21 PM
majin nemesis posted...
what i don't understand is why do people still care about reviewers on this day an age when we have internet where we can watch trailer and gameplay videos on youtube and we can also ask the gamers opinons on sites like right here on Gamefaqs and use that to form your own opinion

people are lazy
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#22gambit444Posted 11/26/2012 1:08:20 PM
IChangedMyName posted...
developers suck, Japanese developers want to be like the almighty western devs, Japanese make immature games, Japan likes loli, Japan has outdated gameplay

There is no evolution in most JRPG's but don't worry the samething will happen to the FPS shooting genre.
---
Show me a hero and I will write you a tragedy.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald
#23theshovellerPosted 11/26/2012 1:12:11 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
theshoveller posted...
The pro-Japanese gamers hate non-Japanese games. The pro-Western gamers hate Japanese games. Both people have it bad, because they see things in an entirely "us versus them" mindset - they don't concede that there are games on both sides fo the "region divide" that are amazing, no matter what their preferences.

It's the same thing as "cake v. pie," "pirates v. ninjas," and "chocolate v. peanut butter." Both are good, both are bad, both have strengths, both have weaknesses. Arguing about "which is better" is as stupid as seeing which is more painful - hitting yourself in the head with a hammer, or hitting yourself in the crotch with a hammer.

Nice generalizing but no. If a game is good people buy it regardless.

You'd be surprised at the list of Western games I actually own...

Key word there - generalizing. It's a generalization, not a "holds true 100% for every person and situation." Obviously, I'm a bit more biased towards one type of game than another - but if a game's good, then I'll buy it and play it. And, that's not taking into account that there is a third group of people who don't give a damn where the game comes from, or what type of game it's trying to emulate, or anything.

Why do people sometimes miss that "generalization" comes from the word "general," such as "in general" or "generally?"
#24Devilman_AmonPosted 11/26/2012 1:15:56 PM
theshoveller posted...

Why do people sometimes miss that "generalization" comes from the word "general," such as "in general" or "generally?"

Because most of the time it's not general because it's not true when people use it in that context. It's more of "stereotyping".
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#25sirtonnePosted 11/26/2012 1:26:04 PM
As a Westerner, I can say that many of them probably have no agenda, they're just typical close-minded morons, like most people in Western culture. We're taught to love our nation and our culture and hate others', like global sports teams, we cheer and boo for no good reason. Not surprisingly, gaming included.
#26Pereb27Posted 11/26/2012 1:27:24 PM
gambit444 posted...
IChangedMyName posted...
developers suck, Japanese developers want to be like the almighty western devs, Japanese make immature games, Japan likes loli, Japan has outdated gameplay

There is no evolution in most JRPG's but don't worry the samething will happen to the FPS shooting genre.

I didn't know they invented the time machine 15 years ago. Can I borrow yours?
#27NintendologicalPosted 11/26/2012 1:30:04 PM
I could offer a wide range of reasons relating to discourse, power and rhetoric, but I'll offer this short reasoning; people like to receive information from those whom are considered to be experts or at least well informed. One could argue that a professor is unnecessary because with libraries and youtube, one could teach themselves. However, that would be a facile assumption.

No review or reviewer areperfect and even the most objective person is siubject to personal preference, but a reviewer will often have far greater exposure to a genre, franchise and industry contacts than your average person. A well written review can help a user understand and weigh the risks of a purchase. Consequently, one should temper anything they see, read or hear with their own wisdom, knowledge and insight. A review should not make your decisions, but merely inform them.
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#28CronoDynePosted 11/26/2012 5:12:17 PM

Hilarious post. Today you rarely see two JRPGs alike. Every JRPG developer tries to do something new and unique to set their series apart from the rest, often to the point of fans demanding the genre actually stop evolving (look at SE and their eternal quest to reinvent the wheel). You know how many different battle systems there are? And the never ending variations of those systems? FPS titles, one the other hand, have followed the same core formula since their inception. The only evolution they've seen is the ability to move the camera up and down.
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#29spectermaster14Posted 11/26/2012 5:16:28 PM
As a Westerner, I can say that many of them probably have no agenda, they're just typical close-minded morons, like most people in Western culture. We're taught to love our nation and our culture and hate others', like global sports teams, we cheer and boo for no good reason. Not surprisingly, gaming included.

The sheer irony of defending Japan by calling close mindedness on western nations is quite possibly the funniest thing ever.
#30Godly_GoofPosted 11/26/2012 5:22:53 PM
Because NA "Master Race" happens more now than it did a few years ago.

Not going to say its close mindedness more like ..... Empty mindedness.

You can not be fond of something but still take it on its own merits but noooooo let's drag art style into EVERYTHING and lower it's score because of it >.>
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."