This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D: Current and next-generation gamers missed the best years of gaming.

#1THMBZDownGNZUpPosted 11/26/2012 5:14:28 PM
I imagine young gamers today, in my opinion, have missed the best years of gaming. I started gaming mostly during the late 1990s and early 2000s, and of course onward. I have also played older games during the latter years, having transitioned them over into the new millennium. Games that I learned of which either released before my lifetime or didn't quite know of, yet still enjoyed.

Other, older gamers, perhaps yourself, that began gaming during the 1980s, or perhaps even the 1970s had played through their golden yeras. Many golden years of gaming have gone by, only to be missed by today's and tomorrow's gamers with each passing generation.

Pokemon in its prime was probably my most cherished memory, though it truly is difficult to have any specific favorite memories of back then. For me, anyway.

All-in-all, I'd like to know what your thoughts and feelings are regarding this subject, things you remember and sentiment. Feel free to share your stories. What do you believe were or are the best years of gaming?

Confirm or Deny: Current and next-generation gamers missed the best years of gaming.
-Confirm.
#2Vs1991Posted 11/26/2012 5:17:54 PM
Deny. The only reason why it seems like they were the best years is cause you were younger and grew up with them. 15 years from now people will say the same about the COD generation.
#3ReDDevil2112Posted 11/26/2012 5:20:14 PM
Deny. The only reason why it seems like they were the best years is cause you were younger and grew up with them. 15 years from now people will say the same about the COD generation.

This.
---
Yo, ding-dong, man! Ding-dong! Ding-dong, yo!
#4Paul NelsonPosted 11/26/2012 5:22:24 PM
Nostalgia is a very powerful thing. I remember playing Megaman X and Super Mario RPG when I was a kid; I stll consider them to be two of my favorite games of all time, but it was only because I was a kid when I played them and things always seem better when you are younger.
#5ShineboxerPosted 11/26/2012 5:26:05 PM
Vs1991 posted...

This is undeniable.
#6AlltraPosted 11/26/2012 5:26:42 PM
There's a lot of cynicism in this topic so far.

There's a reason a lot of these "Inferior" iPhone and mobile games are so popular, and it has a hell of a lot to do with how similar they are to older generations of games.

I want to say Confirm.
---
Math problems are the ultimate trick question. No matter how straight forward and simple they seem, the answer is never what you think it is.
#7GensokyoPosted 11/26/2012 5:27:24 PM
Deny. The best years of gaming is kind of subjective to what each person really wants from a game. And it's not like current and next-gen gamers will forever be unable to experience earlier gens anyway.
#8BeastLeeAdamsPosted 11/26/2012 5:27:42 PM
ReDDevil2112 posted...

This.

I consider this generation too much better games, even though I started in gen 6. The 7th gen brought online multiplayer for consoles and it was easily the most fun I have had, especially with the CoDs, Gears and Halo. I also enjoyed many great single player games as well and am looking forward to the future with a smile. Everyone has nostalgia goggles for their first gen, but it's important that you actually realise why you loved it the most.
#9nihilist212Posted 11/26/2012 5:29:09 PM
D. I've been gaming since the mid-80s, and despite the overall complaints from people on this board gaming is fantastic now. And I only see that it is going to keep getting better.
---
Sometimes you've got to say "hey, i'm gonna **** you.....softly"
psn: jcvdismyhero
#10Vs1991Posted 11/26/2012 5:29:42 PM
Alltra posted...
There's a lot of cynicism in this topic so far.

There's a reason a lot of these "Inferior" iPhone and mobile games are so popular, and it has a hell of a lot to do with how similar they are to older generations of games.

I want to say Confirm.

maybe it has to do with the fact that almost everyone has a smartphone and the games are only a couple dollars?