This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D: Current and next-generation gamers missed the best years of gaming.

#51ReDDevil2112Posted 11/26/2012 11:53:19 PM
true_gamer80 posted...
These days it's almost all about cinematic stuff & story

if thats the sort of games you only play or aware of thats your own fault...this is the part that ties into being aware of whats out there and not just following hype or whats popular comes into play...

I actually tend to dislike games that rely on cinematic experience. All I need is sweet gameplay, nice music and there I go. Anyhow, most of the modern classics have a HUGE, GIGANTIC focus bringing a cinematic experience. Uncharted, Killzone, Call of Duty, Heavy Rain, modern Resident Evil games, Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy XIII, etc. The list just goes on and on. Meanwhile, many of the games who focus on gameplay first and foremost aren't getting as much praise.

Having cinematic quality and being a fun game are not mutually exclusive. Most of those games you mentioned are quite fun. The only one where the gameplay suffers as a result of storytelling is Heavy Rain and (arguably) Final Fantasy XIII. Also, so what if the games that focus on gameplay arent getting as much attention? Does that mean they no longer exist? Bayonetta may not have sold as much as Grand Theft Auto IV, but it still got rave reviews and is still tons of fun. Earth Defense Force is a niche series, yet it's been selling well enough to continue being released in the US.

One of the benefits of modern gaming is the wide range of experiences you can get. With the way gaming is now, I can play something like Heavy Rain (which, yeah, may not be the best "game", but if I enjoy the experience, why should it matter?) and then switch to a mindless shoot em up like Geometry Wars, then play some visual novel like Phoenix Wright. Gaming is so big now that there's room for all types. Retro style games, complex simulations, mindless arcade games, plot driven games....I dont see the point in singling out one type of game and claiming the entire industry is weakened as a result.

And those claims of games being unplayable in the future due to online servers being shut down? First of all, while most games have online functionality, that doesnt mean they rely on it. Can you honestly tell me multiplayer was the main draw of Uncharted or Assassins Creed? Games like Call of Duty or Halo have split-screen, as does any fighting game. Those that dont? Well, alright yeah, I guess maybe we wont be playing Battlefield 3 in 10 years. That's hardly compromising the entire library of modern gaming.

I think the problem with some of the view points here is that people are looking at one specific type of game (cinematic games, online titles) and casting that onto the entire industry.
---
Yo, ding-dong, man! Ding-dong! Ding-dong, yo!
#52Jinzo 111887Posted 11/26/2012 11:58:28 PM(edited)
Confirm, the current gen marks the downfall of gaming thanks to abusive DRM and other crappy business practices. Online passes, always online requirement, easily lose downloaded purchases because of your account getting banned, DLC woes, etc.
---
Secure. Contain. Protect.
#53Arin_ApokolipsPosted 11/27/2012 12:31:59 AM(edited)
It really depends on the type of game. For instance, I think action/adventure games have improved significantly this generation. Soaring through Gotham and actually feeling like Batman in Arkham City satisfies me so much more than any Batman game on any previous system. Same with sports games, they improve each and every year. I think platforming games are weaker this generation than in the 2D 80s and 90s generations.
---
The world is your playground.
#54majin nemesisPosted 11/27/2012 12:30:15 AM
Confirm
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#55Stanger5150Posted 11/27/2012 1:32:18 AM
Deny... All the great games of the past are still out there, so nobody "missed out" on anything. Whether they are open-minded enough to try the classics is entirely up to them. I don't really care if a young gamer plays Super Mario Bros. 3 or Double Dragon II. I know they are great games and that's all that matters. The only thing about modern young gamers that pisses me off is when they say I'm wearing nostalgia goggles when they have no Idea how much I played those games then, and how much I still play them today. Games never "age" to the point of irrelevance to me, much like great old movies or old music.

As far as gaming goes... Gaming today is great, because I have great games from all seven console generations to choose from. The NES proudly sits under my PS3, and beside my Genesis and SNES. THAT'S what gaming is all about to me... not excluding anything that isn't current, but embracing ALL that gaming has to offer. If some gamers can't do that, that's ok... until they think they know why I like what I like.

When I've literally played thousands of games (over 800 in my collection), no kid is going to tell me why like the games I like.

From Super Mario Bros. to Assassin's Creed III, this hobby has been one hell of a good time.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Assassin's Creed III, Okami HD, Nier, Folklore, Dishonored, Dragon Age II, The Lone Ranger
#56deprofundis442Posted 11/27/2012 1:46:10 AM
Guts_Leonheart posted...
Vs1991 posted...
Deny. The only reason why it seems like they were the best years is cause you were younger and grew up with them. 15 years from now people will say the same about the COD generation.

Except the people who will be saying that aren't the same people, not everybody is hivemind. A lot of people will LOVE the CoD generation sure, but a lot of people are going to keep their opinions from today just like some people loved 80s music and others hated it back then and are glad its over today.

For me despite seeing the SNES/Mega Drive and the birth of the original Playstation, I would say the Ps2 era was the best because we already know what would we could see in gaming and it felt like they were perfecting it and pushing games to their limits. Now the Ps3 has some great titles but it's mostly going to be remember for mass produced games like CoD and Skyrim.

Why do so many people lump Skyrim in with CoD and annual titles like that? I don't get it. They're nothing alike. At all. And no matter how bad hair metal was, music has not really changed. There has always been your mainstream eat 'em up garbage and which one doesn't suck always hapens to be the one that people grew up with. Funny how that works, eh?
#57DarkSymbiotePosted 11/27/2012 1:57:03 AM
D. One of the worst times for gaming this is.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#58Ryan SiPosted 11/27/2012 2:17:58 AM
This is the first generation of consoles since I've been around (1987) that has been mostly terrible. Should just rename it the cookie-cutter game design era (on consoles, not PC...where the creative indie market is booming).
---
Steam ID: Ryan_ML | PSN ID: Ryan_Si
#59THMBZDownGNZUp(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 12:01:20 PM
Let me reiterate that I do very much enjoy current generation games. And I know we all will enjoy next generation gaming, there's just no doubt. I'm excited for it. Ha, perhaps new gamers starting next generation will be the luckiest!