This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Square-Enix Dev Says Japanese Industry is Pushing Back Against Western Games

#1NintendologicalPosted 11/27/2012 1:40:10 PM
After years of stagnation, the Japanese game industry is ready for a comeback. At least, that's what Square Enix technical director Yoshihisa Hashimoto told 4Gamer last week in an interview translated by Edge.

Hashimoto acknowledged that in terms of influence on the industry, the Japanese industry is "being pushed around by Western games without a doubt." However, he has seen encouraging signs that things are changing, specifically pointing to Kojima Productions' Fox Engine work (as seen in the Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes trailer) as an example.

"Recently, it feels like the Japanese game industry hasn't lost, and is gradually pushing back."

Given that Hashimoto is currently involved in the creation of Square Enix's Luminous Studio game engine, he found the glimpse of Kojima's new engine to be motivational as well as encouraging. Hasimoto called the Fox Engine tech amazing, adding that it spurred him to think, "We [Square Enix] won't lose to this though!"

For Luminous Studio, Hashimoto is trying to create technology capable of meeting the demands of Square Enix's AAA titles, but also adaptable for smartphone, tablet, and cloud-based gaming as well.

"The aim is to broaden the vision of the company, and establish a better integrated game development environment," Hashimoto explained.

The Luminous Engine was first shown off at the Electronic Entertainment Expo earlier this year with a Final Fantasy tech demo trailer called Agni's Philosophy.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-11-27-square-enix-dev-says-japanese-industry-is-pushing-back

I homestly believe that Japanese games will only further decline in the West, come next generation. If thr Japanese were to make a wise move, it would be to follow in the footsteps of their peers, like GREE and enter the rapidly growing mobile business, which is expected to displace handhelds and even consoles, here in the West.
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#2agrissaPosted 11/27/2012 1:42:21 PM
Only if the iGeneration outgrow pew pew games and start to branch out and appreciate other genres.
---
I had faith in humanity until I discovered Internet Message Boards.
#3KevoCSCSPosted 11/27/2012 1:47:07 PM
The only good game Square/Enix has released in years are Western games like Deus Ex:Human Revolution.
#4DarknessXSeekerPosted 11/27/2012 1:49:09 PM
Final Fantasy is not what it use to be but it is still good, and Kingdom Hearts is just as good as it's ever been, but still SE needs to stop being stupid and listen to their fans for once.
---
"You're gonna get shown the door, old man."
#5Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 1:49:37 PM
agrissa posted...
Only if the iGeneration outgrow pew pew games and start to branch out and appreciate other genres.

I see you decided to pull that one right out of your rear end. The most doenloaded titles for Os and Android are games like Angry Birds, Temple Run, Infinity Blade and Real Racing. There are first and third person shooters with popularity, but they hardly represent the core of the preference of the demographic. Also, Square-Enix has put put quite a few iOS titles, including Final Fantasy III and The World Ends With You. Capcom has also taken note, releasing titles like Resident Evil 4, Street Fighter IV, MvC2 and Street Fighter x Tekken. Even SNK found a niche with old MVS ports and King of Fighters. The issue is, they are only a few developers.
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#6ShineboxerPosted 11/27/2012 1:52:33 PM
The hate for western games on this board is delicious.
#7Devilman_AmonPosted 11/27/2012 1:55:05 PM
KevoCSCS posted...
The only good game Square/Enix has released in years are Western games like Deus Ex:Human Revolution.

That's not their game they only published it.

Anyways I wonder if we pool enough money together we can make a kickstarter to fund the $ neccessary to pursuade Hashimoto to do an inside assassination job on Yoichi Wada and Motomu Toriyama?
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#8NCPwnPosted 11/27/2012 1:55:14 PM
I'm not petty enough to divide my games by which region they get created by. That said, Japanese games have been really terrible this gen. Almost all JRPGs have been trash. Thank god for Wii Virtual Console, PSN small dev titles.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#9wstfldPosted 11/27/2012 1:56:24 PM
I think we need another board just for weeabos.
---
Last Played: FIFA 13 (8.5/10), CS GO (8/10)
Now Playing: Assassin's Creed 3, FIFA 13
#10Devilman_AmonPosted 11/27/2012 1:57:10 PM
Nintendological posted...
agrissa posted...

I see you decided to pull that one right out of your rear end. The most doenloaded titles for Os and Android are games like Angry Birds, Temple Run, Infinity Blade and Real Racing. There are first and third person shooters with popularity, but they hardly represent the core of the preference of the demographic. Also, Square-Enix has put put quite a few iOS titles, including Final Fantasy III and The World Ends With You. Capcom has also taken note, releasing titles like Resident Evil 4, Street Fighter IV, MvC2 and Street Fighter x Tekken. Even SNK found a niche with old MVS ports and King of Fighters. The issue is, they are only a few developers.

ioS/Social gaming is gaining success by reaching out to previous non gamer phone users. It's not a console/handheld takeover thing
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)