This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are the main characters in most JRPG's teens or kids?

#1Mello_JelloPosted 11/27/2012 7:13:23 PM
Going around slaying monsters with big swords seems more like a man's jobs than a bunch of angsty teens.
#2AtelierCorvusPosted 11/27/2012 7:14:50 PM
The Japanese are obsessed with youth.
---
I use Gamefaqs as a toilet to crap out as much hate and venom as possible so I can be happy and nice in everything else I do. sorry Gamefaqs =/
#3ShineboxerPosted 11/27/2012 7:14:55 PM
because they are made for preteens.
#4cymanxPosted 11/27/2012 7:22:16 PM
Even though the Legend of Y's franchise is more of an action rpg, Adol Christian is more of an adult, and is the most powerful character in any franchise. He literally plows through hordes of monsters.
---
Maybe if we talk to the television, and know everything there is to know about football, that our favorite team will make it to the super bowl...
#5rofflchopperPosted 11/27/2012 7:26:31 PM
Because loli.
---
Dear Society, Please stop calling Justin Bieber gay. We don't want him either.
Sincerely, Homosexuals.
#6playboyskitchPosted 11/27/2012 7:28:52 PM
JPs = Lolicons.
---
"But just when everyone had let their guard down, a vast number of AIDA tentacles have appeared and pierced Atoli's body...."
#7huyiPosted 11/27/2012 7:41:08 PM
the japanese has a unhealthy fascination with schoolgirls and preteens :(
---
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD6670 8GB RAM 1TB HDD Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/HUYI1
#8doraemonllh1989Posted 11/27/2012 7:42:12 PM
Because most Asian look younger than western people,western people gets old very fast
---
my grammar sucks and i dont care
disappointing game of the year = re6 (6.5/10)
#9Devilman_AmonPosted 11/27/2012 7:49:22 PM(edited)
Asians also think Westerners look ugly and have big noses and excess body hair. So playing as older uncanny valley foreign characters isn't appealing to them. And many Japanese gamers are girls and Japanese girls do not find Western bulky men attractive.
Most Japanese young adults are lithe in body type so the games try to reflect that as a marketing strategy.
Most average Westerners are not bodybuilders yet most Western games try to depict the characters as 250 pound 6 foot 5" linebackers even if they are soldiers (most U.S./EU soldiers are not "bodybuilder" type either.)
So the exaggeration on the Western game hero stereotype is a bit ridiculous as if the developers are trying to overcompensate for something.
More Japanese girls play video games than Western girls play video games. Take Sengoku Basara games for example (the hack n slash DW style games). 70 percent of that fanbase is actually female.
And they like charm and appeal in their characters which is often represented in youth.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#10Devilman_AmonPosted 11/27/2012 7:50:45 PM
huyi posted...
the japanese has a unhealthy fascination with schoolgirls and preteens :(

And the West has an unhealthy fascination with child beauty pageants
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)