This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playstation Plus FAQ - What is it? How does it work?

#1backguard222Posted 11/28/2012 10:56:51 AM(edited)
What is Playstation Plus?

Playstation Plus, or PS+, is a paid subscription service which gives subscribers access to "free" games (to be explained later), unique demos, and unique discounts on downloadable games, DLC, avatars, themes and other content.

Free games? How does that work?

When a game is listed as "free" for PS+ subscribers, PS+ subscribers may download and play that game for free as long as they remain a subscriber to PS+. "Free" games are usually offered as free for about 2 weeks.

Do I have to download the game to have access to it later on? I don't have room on my hard drive!

You do not have to download the "free" game to play it later on. However, you do need to "purchase" it by adding it to your cart and checking out. Then you can cancel the download. When you are ready to play it later on you can then go to your download history and download the game from there.

What will happen to my "free" games if I let my subscription lapse?

You will no longer be able to play the games that were offered as free for PS+ subscribers. However, if you resubscribe, you will again have access to those games.

What about games, DLC, avatars, themes and other things I bought at a discount while a PS+ member? Can I keep those when I am no longer a subscriber?

Yes. Anything you paid for while a PS+ subscriber you can keep even when you no longer subscribe to PS+.

Can I keep ANY of the free stuff I received as a PS+ subscriber if I no longer subscribe?

YES! Avatars, themes and minis will not expire when your subscription expires.

PS+ is now on the Vita. Is there an additional charge to use it on my Vita? Does the program work the same?

There is no additional charge to use PS+ on the Vita and PS3. It does work the same as described above.

What about cross-buy with the PS3 and Vita?

Cross-buy for "free" games seems to be case by case right now. It remains to be seen exactly how it will play out.

Is it worth the money?

This you will have to decide yourself. However, consider the following:

- PS+ subscribers have received hundreds of discounts and hundreds of "free" games since its inception, including many high quality titles.
- Typically you will be getting games that have been out for 6 months or more, but sometimes you will get nice newer releases. So you may have already played the offerings.
- The "free" games tend to be a mix of PSN and retail games.
- The release of a free game usually includes discounts on the corresponding DLC.
- PS+ updates every Tuesday with new discounts every week and new "free" games almost every week.
- A typical month will see the release of between 5 and 7 new "free" games.
- The PS+ free games library has recently expanded significantly with the inclusion of the Vita in the program.
- Most PS+ users will tell you it is worth the money, but if you are on the fence there are many ways to get 30 day free trials since Sony is now including free trials in many of its products. Also, you can find discount subscriptions online.
- Sony seems devoted to supporting PS+, so I wouldn't expect a drop off in quantity or quality of offerings.

If you have additional questions please post them. I will try to address them in edits to this FAQ.
#2backguard222(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 10:54:54 AM
Reserved.
#3este914Posted 11/28/2012 10:55:19 AM
Sticky Requested
---
-> este914 <-
WHO ELSE?!
#4InfernoSDPosted 11/28/2012 1:06:44 PM
Can I keep ANY of the free stuff I received as a PS+ subscriber if I no longer subscribe?
YES! Avatars, themes and minis will not expire when your subscription expires.

I've heard some DLC also sticks around after your subscription ends. Tough for them to put their expiration date thing on DLC, I guess. Although I haven't seen free DLC as part of PS+ in a long time.

Also worth noting is that different regions offer different games for PS+. Lately a lot of people have been complaining that US is getting shafted compared to EU. For advance notice of what's on the way, check:
http://blog.us.playstation.com
http://blog.eu.playstation.com

You've also completely left out the non-store benefits. PS+ lets you configure your PS3 to automatically update everyday at a set time. This downloads and installs any system updates, software updates for games you play, software updates for apps like the store too, as well as anything you have queued up to download. It also syncs trophy data, and backs up your latest saves to the cloud.
---
|| ||\ || ||"" ||"" ||"") ||\ || /''''\
|| || \|| ||"" ||, ||""\ || \|| \,,,/
#5SolidLiquid25Posted 11/28/2012 1:21:36 PM
I second the sticky request good post TC....man that's rare here!!
---
"Dammit Jim, That's not what you promised!!"
Baker Armstech
#6NCPwnPosted 11/28/2012 1:32:48 PM
Except that the games are usually released YEARS not months. Like how long did it take borderlands to come to PS+? 2 years?
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#7SolidLiquid25Posted 11/28/2012 1:41:27 PM(edited)
^How long did it take to get Double Dragon Neon???? Oh yeah day 1!!! Anyway it's his average and i agree with it some really old some really new your just whining.

Edit: He said 6 months or more for the record.
---
Baker Armstech
#8NCPwnPosted 11/28/2012 1:43:31 PM
SolidLiquid25 posted...
^How long did it take to get Double Dragon Neon???? Oh yeah day 1!!! Anyway it's his average and i agree with it some really old some really new your just whining.

Edit: He said 6 months or more for the record.

Ahh good catch then.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#9SolidLiquid25Posted 11/29/2012 10:32:10 AM
BUMP
---
Baker Armstech
#10ps3_gamer_norgePosted 11/29/2012 12:34:25 PM
Games are free for 4 weeks at a time in Europe.